Mass murder before 1967

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is just a short list of mass murder that ocurred before 1967,

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/07/mass_murder_a_modern_curse_hardly.html

...July 26, 1764 -- near what is now Greencastle, PA. Four Lenape Indians killed a schoolmaster and nine or 10 children.
December 22, 1868 -- Chattanooga, TN. Three dead following a shooting by a disgruntled student.
April 13, 1873 -- Colefax, LA. Following a disputed election, white Democrats killed an estimated 60 to 100 mainly black citizens in a disputed Democratic/Republican gubernatorial race.
December 11, 1875 -- Bremerhaven, Germany. Alexander Keith, Jr., in a plot to bomb ships and collect insurance money, had his bomb, sitting on the dock, accidentally go off, killing 80 and injuring about 200 more. He committed suicide shortly afterwards.
April 9, 1891 -- Newburgh, NY. An elderly man fired a shotgun at St. Mary's school, injuring several students. No deaths.
May 25, 1893 -- Osaka, Japan. Kumataro Kido and Yagoro Tani killed 11 including an infant. Kido had lost his common law wife to another man, so they killed him, his former wife and other family members. The two committed suicide afterwards.
March 14, 1912 -- Carroll Co. VA. Floyd Allen started a gun battle at the court house after he was convicted of taking his two nephews from the custody of the sheriff's deputies. Five were killed and seven wounded.
September 4, 1913 -- Degerloch, Germany. Ernst August Wagner killed his wife, four children and shot 20 more, with nine dying. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
May 25, 1893 -- Osaka, Japan. Kumataro Kido and Yagoro Tani killed 11 including an infant. Kido had lost his common law wife to another man, so they killed him, his former wife and other family members. The two committed suicide afterwards.

Who killed whom? :confused:

And besides that, what's your point?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And besides that, what's your point?

I dunno what you got out of this, but I'm taking it to mean that these types of killings have been occurring for a long time, it's not some newfangled thing that's "Suddenly" happening because " 'Mericans! " have access to "assault rifles" now...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since I am currently in Austin and walked past this tower yesterday, this incident came to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

The first shots from the tower's outer deck came at approximately 11:48 a.m. A history professor was the first to phone the Austin Police Department, after seeing several students shot in the South Mall gathering center; many others had dismissed the rifle reports, not realizing there was gunfire. Eventually, the shootings caused panic as news spread and, after the situation was understood, all active police officers in Austin were ordered to the campus. Other off-duty officers, Travis County Sheriff's deputies, and Texas Department of Public Safety troopers also converged on the area to assist.

Around 20 minutes later, once Whitman began facing return fire from the authorities and armed civilians who had brought out their personal firearms to assist police, he used the waterspouts on each side of the tower as gun ports, allowing him to continue shooting largely protected from the gunfire below but also greatly limiting his range of targets.

That's gun control I can get behind...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Don't forget the 20,000,000 that Stalin killed...actually there are more than a few historians that think the number is likely closer to 60,000,000.... all before 1967

SnyderD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Weren't there some laws passed in the late 1960s about gun control? I'm drawing a blank with my history...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Weren't there some laws passed in the late 1960s about gun control? I'm drawing a blank with my history...

That's fairly precise. The Gun Control Act of 1968 broadly changed the way commerce and ownership of firearms takes place in the U.S.

Some say it's modeled on Hitler's gun control act of 1938-fact is, we had our own gun control act in 1938, that effectively took away machine guns and sawed-off shotguns from the general populace...

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I took away from the article is there have always been loons willing to kill innocents, but it is happening more often in today's world.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wasn't 67' the beginning of hippies and the summer of love?
Murders hard when your barrel is stuck with flowers.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't forget media coverage. There have always been killings like this, but hearing about them has become easier and more widespread and more "intimate," in that you get all the color images, actual witnesses and victims and it is on 24 hours a day after an event like this. Compare that to a small notice on the second page of your local paper weeks after the event happened. The same applies to serial killers. They have always been murdering people, it just seems like there are more of them because we catch them more often, they can't kill someone in one town, move to another county and be completely unkown, and again the media coverage.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
1890- US Army at Wounded Knee estimated 150-300 Lakota men, women and children murdered.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yup, one thing that we as a species have always loved to do: kill each other. Nothing beats it for a good time.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what happens to a species with no natural predators, we become our own worst enemy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
yup, one thing that we as a species have always loved to do: kill each other. Nothing beats it for a good time.

And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions