Is Copycat Behavior Driving Murder-Suicides?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This article presents a question all in of itself and I believe worth discussing.

Is Copycat Behavior Driving Murder-Suicides?

By MAIA SZALAVITZ Maia Szalavitz – Sun Apr 26, 5:45 pm ET
On March 30, a Santa Clara, Calif., man shot five people to death, including three children, before killing himself. On April 3, a gunman went on a shooting rampage in an immigration center in Binghamton, N.Y., killing 13 people before taking his own life. And on April 20, employees of a Sheraton Hotel in Maryland found the bodies of a husband and wife and two daughters, victims of another apparent murder-suicide.
These are only the most publicized of the recent murder-suicide crimes in the U.S. Since March 10, 2009, at least 43 people have been killed in murder-suicides, and there is no telling why the crimes occurred in such rapid succession. It is also not clear whether the spate of recent deaths represents an escalation in the typical murder-suicide death toll. But it has got some observers wondering why. Past research suggests that factors ranging from the time of year (suicides are more common in spring) to the financial climate may have an impact on the rates of suicide and murder; in the recent events, the apparent motive of the killers included sexual jealousy and economic despair. (See pictures of the shooting in Binghamton.)
But Steven Stack, professor of psychiatry and criminal justice at Wayne State University, offers another explanation: the copycat effect. The copycat theory was first conceived by a criminologist in 1912, after the London newspapers' wall-to-wall coverage of the brutal crimes of Jack the Ripper in the late 1800s led to a wave of copycat rapes and murders throughout England. Since then, there has been much research into copycat events - mostly copycat suicides, which appear to be most common - but, taken together, the findings are inconclusive.
(full article here http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090426/hl_time/08599189327300 )

We spend a lot of time talking about defending ourselves against these madmen who walk into a building and start shooting anyone and anything before finally in despair shooting themselves.
It is one thing to figure out ways to defend ones self against such an attacker it is quite another to understand their motives.
We despise these people, call them monsters among other names, but do we comprehend their behavior.
Stack also conducted the only study to examine whether murder-suicide (as opposed to suicide alone) is associated with copycat crimes. That study, published 20 years ago, analyzed the impact of media coverage of mass murders and murder-suicides between 1968 and 1980. The study found no associated increase in homicide rates, but did note an uptick in suicide after well-publicized events. "There was a significant increase in national monthly suicide rates," he said, "It is a fairly substantial association and was independent of major control variables like the unemployment rate."
Why isn't it just simple to sit in one's home/bedroom and kill one's self? One of my closest friends did a few years ago. She didn't have to find a crowded building and start unloading her weapon into innocent people before finally taking her own life. These monsters have to either build their own sense of despair and self loathing enough to pull the trigger on themselves by taking the lives of others, hearing the screams and cries of pain they're inflicting before it's enough.

Understanding this may help us recognize the behavior in someone we may know, because these killers in the past had known people in their lives before shutting themselves out enough to start their rampages.

But the question does beg to be asked. Are these just copy cats or something deeper? Is there a mental disorder yet to be identified because the killers manage to off themselves before they could be questioned/studied?

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You know MA Caver, I don't think it has anything to do with self-loathing or anything else with these kinds of people. I haven't done any research into the subject, but it seems to me that they are so angry at the world, and everybody in it. That they just want to kill as many people as they can. Because they feel like the whole world or at least those particular set of people have severely wronged them. Look at Columbine.....I would be willing to bet that the kids that did that, were picked on a lot in school.. You know, what makes a person so angry that they would want to just kill everybody? OTher people. If I hadn't of found away to control my temper when I was younger I would have ended up the same way. There were lots of times I just wished that I had an UZI and could just go from classroom to classroom and mow people down. But I didn't. Why? For the same reason that other people that get angry don't do those things. They realize that a) it's not everybody's fault. b) they don't want to go to prison c)they definitely don't want there head shoved between two prison bars d) that there is a better way to handle it.

It think that these people didn't just snap. I think they, like you said, had friends that they gave some kind of a warning to. I think however, that it's so subtle. THe guy was talking about the people that picked on him all the time, or beat him up at school, and the next day he kills 20 people. Or maybe he didn't say anything at all. It's a real hard thing to understand this. However, I am of the opinion that these people for whatever reason simply inside just snap do to the situation they are subjected to in there every day lives. They don't know how to deal with whatever it is, that's going on in there life, and in our society more and more, your options are limited. I think that Tim Larkin said it best, when he said, "The only thing that a gun has over any other weapon is built in intent. That's why people all the time say, 'Well I didn't mean to kill him', well the gun kind of takes care of that problem for you. That's why people with a lot of intent can kill 20 people with a gun, because all it takes is pulling the trigger."

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
While all humans, even murderously deranged ones, are individuals with different backgrounds and motivations, I'd be very skeptical on any claim that the media doesn't play a large role in these.

Consider the mall shooter who declared, "I'm going to be so ****ing famous!". Consider the VA Tech gunman pausing in his killing spree to mail a package to a news program, and the Binghamton gunman doing the same before setting out. Consider the references some mass murder hopefuls have made to bettering the Columbine 'score'.

In this flawed society being infamous is as good, or better than, being famous.... less work and years of practice, too. One can avenge or even up any perceived slights.... and get the last word in on the evening noise, er, news. No rebuttal from the unarmed victims, either - they're all dead. If you're a murderous loser, what's not to love? A violent end to all one's tormentors, an end to the pain, and infamy all across the headlines.

Methinks abuse of the First Amendment far more responsible than claimed abuse of the Second.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While all humans, even murderously deranged ones, are individuals with different backgrounds and motivations, I'd be very skeptical on any claim that the media doesn't play a large role in these.

Consider the mall shooter who declared, "I'm going to be so ****ing famous!". Consider the VA Tech gunman pausing in his killing spree to mail a package to a news program, and the Binghamton gunman doing the same before setting out. Consider the references some mass murder hopefuls have made to bettering the Columbine 'score'.

In this flawed society being infamous is as good, or better than, being famous.... less work and years of practice, too. One can avenge or even up any perceived slights.... and get the last word in on the evening noise, er, news. No rebuttal from the unarmed victims, either - they're all dead. If you're a murderous loser, what's not to love? A violent end to all one's tormentors, an end to the pain, and infamy all across the headlines.

Methinks abuse of the First Amendment far more responsible than claimed abuse of the Second.

I won't disagree with you, I would however bring up the point that in the 80's and early 90's i believe, ( I was still young now mind you.), that there were teenagers that would kill people, and even family members, because they listened to Heavy Metal music. Of course now, you don't hear to much about this, because it was a load of crap. So I think to say that the Mass Media has a part to play in that, is kind of a scape goat. I mean, there will always be people that are willing to do anything for fifteen minutes of fame. Whether it be jumping off of a building, or making an *** out of themselves on a reality based t.v. show, or even killing people. They want that fame. Doesn't matter whether they are getting it violently or non-violently they are going to get it. The really funny thing is, is that after about 20 minutes you forget the guys name, and he just becomes the guy who killed 20 people. So the fame wasn't even lasting LOL!

Seriously though. I think these people are a great example for nature vs. nurture. I mean if you go 20 years and never commit a violent act and then one day you just kill 20 people, is that your nature, or are you becoming a product of your environment? It think that is where the problem really lies, what do you think?

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I won't disagree with you, I would however bring up the point that in the 80's and early 90's i believe, ( I was still young now mind you.), that there were teenagers that would kill people, and even family members, because they listened to Heavy Metal music. Of course now, you don't hear to much about this, because it was a load of crap. So I think to say that the Mass Media has a part to play in that, is kind of a scape goat. I mean, there will always be people that are willing to do anything for fifteen minutes of fame. Whether it be jumping off of a building, or making an *** out of themselves on a reality based t.v. show, or even killing people. They want that fame. Doesn't matter whether they are getting it violently or non-violently they are going to get it. The really funny thing is, is that after about 20 minutes you forget the guys name, and he just becomes the guy who killed 20 people. So the fame wasn't even lasting LOL!

Seriously though. I think these people are a great example for nature vs. nurture. I mean if you go 20 years and never commit a violent act and then one day you just kill 20 people, is that your nature, or are you becoming a product of your environment? It think that is where the problem really lies, what do you think?
Well, I dunno about anyone else. I for one do not seek or desire fame. I do seek respect and honor as I try my best to give it to those I meet. I'm aware enough to know that I'm not 100% successful in this but I like to think I'm pretty close... but that's just my opinion.
Those who seek fame whether they be alive or dead by any means necessary have the deep insecurities that they bury deep within themselves and try to overcome them... by any means necessary.
The violent ones, I think are enacting their rage. Anger can build up over a very long period of time and still the person chooses to enact it out or repress it or simply let it go. That is the hardest thing for anyone to do.
IMO Columbine wasn't seeking fame it was enacting out of anger. Virginia Tech wasn't fame seeking either, irregardless of the guy making videos and pics of himself, they were for HIS benefit, nobody else's. To SEE their anger manifest is a hope to release it, a deep inward hope.
We all know about rage or even hatred, at one point in our lives at least, at one point we've felt it. Mad/hateful enough to actually take a life. But we choose not to do so. I feel certain that nobody liked it. Nobody actually enjoys feeling enraged. Besides when you think about it you can't enjoy/love it. The two cancel each other out... rage and joy just don't mix, like oil & water no matter what eventually they separate.
Why did these people choose to take lives is still a mystery, maybe they thought that it would project their anger (or hate) into the ones they kill in hopes of releasing it, when it fails with the first person and the second, third, fourth, fifth... sixth, dammit, seventh, no what about eighth ... no dammit not enough... eventually they reach a burn-out or a peak and realize that what they're doing isn't working... so put the barrel to their heads and pull the trigger to shut it off... permanently... the bliss of not being able to feel anymore. The rage, the hate... the guilt and the remorse over their actions when rationality seeps back in and their anger is spent and the hole is being filled with the realization of the consequences of their actions. We've all felt that too. Someone we yelled at while in our rage/anger, harsh words, a beating given to someone for a petty reason or whatever... the aftermath, morning after asking ourselves "WHY did I do THAT?!" Some try to go to make amends where possible to say "I'm sorry" but if we killed them... there is no way to do so.
Or, after the rage has gone they feel empty, nothing and the realization hasn't crept in because their rage/hate/anger has left them hollow and desolate inside where the only thing left to do is to turn the weapon upon themselves.
Who knows? We can only speculate.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
But on the other side of the coin (for LEO's) is the issue of what we can do about some guy "acting odd" or exhibiting "signs" that he may go on a spree. Go to far and we are violating the rights of someone who hasnt "done something" yet.

Dont go far enough and the guy goes off...then the "why didnt you do anything" questions get asked. The best we can do is notify mental health agencies and see what they can do.

And what is "driving copycat behavior"...the media attention that these guys get. There appears to be no common sense (or morals) in the network news companies...they have to realize their role.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a strange situation in Bridgend, Wales where 17 teenagers have committed suicide over the past couple of years - 13 in one year - 2008.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8021845.stm

There's been alternate quotes from the authorities saying the deaths aren't related or they say it's something to do with the internet, the truth is that either nobody knows why or someone does and is keeping quiet.

While not seeking to actually kill anyone else these teenagers have caused an enormous amount of grief to their friends and families. the families have been furious at the media attention and sensationist stories that have been printed.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect it has something to do with feelings of powerlessness in some cases. Damaged people often feel the world is 'doing' this to them, making them miserable, and 'forcing them' to end their own lives to escape. Yet even the act of taking their own lives is an acknowledgment that they have no power on earth. Using a gun on random innocent people at least 'shows them' (meaning us, the people who oppress them) that they indeed have power over something and someone. They then complete the act of suicide to escape any form of punishment for their actions, which would subvert their temporary feeling of power over others.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How about this... and this will probably piss a lot of people off... It's Nature's way of culling the herd.

Mind you we are not above the laws of nature.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, I dunno about anyone else. I for one do not seek or desire fame. I do seek respect and honor as I try my best to give it to those I meet. I'm aware enough to know that I'm not 100% successful in this but I like to think I'm pretty close... but that's just my opinion.
Those who seek fame whether they be alive or dead by any means necessary have the deep insecurities that they bury deep within themselves and try to overcome them... by any means necessary.
The violent ones, I think are enacting their rage. Anger can build up over a very long period of time and still the person chooses to enact it out or repress it or simply let it go. That is the hardest thing for anyone to do.
IMO Columbine wasn't seeking fame it was enacting out of anger. Virginia Tech wasn't fame seeking either, irregardless of the guy making videos and pics of himself, they were for HIS benefit, nobody else's. To SEE their anger manifest is a hope to release it, a deep inward hope.
We all know about rage or even hatred, at one point in our lives at least, at one point we've felt it. Mad/hateful enough to actually take a life. But we choose not to do so. I feel certain that nobody liked it. Nobody actually enjoys feeling enraged. Besides when you think about it you can't enjoy/love it. The two cancel each other out... rage and joy just don't mix, like oil & water no matter what eventually they separate.
Why did these people choose to take lives is still a mystery, maybe they thought that it would project their anger (or hate) into the ones they kill in hopes of releasing it, when it fails with the first person and the second, third, fourth, fifth... sixth, dammit, seventh, no what about eighth ... no dammit not enough... eventually they reach a burn-out or a peak and realize that what they're doing isn't working... so put the barrel to their heads and pull the trigger to shut it off... permanently... the bliss of not being able to feel anymore. The rage, the hate... the guilt and the remorse over their actions when rationality seeps back in and their anger is spent and the hole is being filled with the realization of the consequences of their actions. We've all felt that too. Someone we yelled at while in our rage/anger, harsh words, a beating given to someone for a petty reason or whatever... the aftermath, morning after asking ourselves "WHY did I do THAT?!" Some try to go to make amends where possible to say "I'm sorry" but if we killed them... there is no way to do so.
Or, after the rage has gone they feel empty, nothing and the realization hasn't crept in because their rage/hate/anger has left them hollow and desolate inside where the only thing left to do is to turn the weapon upon themselves.
Who knows? We can only speculate.

I really think that you hit the nail on the head with this one right here MA. The whole rage thing. I really think it has more to do with being pushed to that breaking point. Where they just feel like they can't take it anymore, and as Bill said, " They feel powerless". I think they feel powerless to stop the unwanted attacks, or the ridicule from other students or even a percieved ridicule from other students. That they feel like they have to take matters into there own hands and they have to do something drastic. I think the problem though, is that when the rage dies and they have a moment to reflect on what they have just done, that is when they feel the remorse and the guilt and turn the gun on themselves. I don't think it has so much to do with punishment, as it is, "Oh my god, what have I done!!" and then " I can't fix this, what am I gonna do", insert barrel in mouth and pull the trigger. I think that in the moment of that rage, when they pick up that gun they feel powerful, and now they can show everybody why they should be feared, and respected. Not realizing that the respect they are earning is not real, nor is it respect. THe fear is real. But, to a young person the two are one and the same to a lot of younger people in that kind of a situation. I think that is what they are really after, is that respect to be treated like everybody else. I really feel that it has more to do with being persecuted. I mean like I said before, If someone goes 20 years and never commits a violent act and then one day, just starts blowing holes in people, who's really to blame for that? The guy that killed 20 people, or the people that pushed him that far? There is a reason for why, it's knowing what it is. I would be willing to bet, there were people at both Colombine and Virginia Tech who said, " I shouldn't have picked on that kid so much. I feel really bad now. He killed a lot of people because I was mean to him." In my mind that is the only feasible explanation that I can come up with. I can't see someone that for 20 years or more in the case of say, "postal workers" that have been productive citizens not causing trouble who just one day go nuts. I mean when I was a kid and I lost my temper, it wasn't like " Johnny called me a short ****." It was like Johnny, and Dave, and there buddy George, pushed me, hit me, and called me short **** for like 3-4 months. THen one day, I would just lose it. I had tried everything, to make them stop, and they wouldn't till I broke somebodies nose. To me guys and gals, it really boils down to the bullies. A person can only take so much before they breakdown and do something about it. In some cases it's fist to cuffs like when I was, and you were kids. Now days, kids are packing heat, YOU KNOW! So I mean, how wise is it to push it till it breaks? If even one of these kids was either left alive or didn't take there own life, we'd have a lot more answers to these questions. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they just thought it would be cool and fun to see what it felt like to kill somebody or even a bunch of people. Definitely need some research into this subject, because I absolutely guarantee somewhere down the road, it will happen again. It's happened twice that I know of, that means it's more than likely to happen again.

Just MHO.......:asian:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When a person decides to take their own life - I mean, really really really, they stop being afraid. Nothing matters anymore, and they can easily fall into a nearly blissful condition. The end is nigh, their pain / anger / depression / sadness will soon end forever, and nothing, nothing, can or will ever hurt them again.

When people fall into this state, they are beyond despondence. They are beyond reason. They will not respond to any stimulus except that which furthers what they want.

Most will simply end themselves, using whatever means they have chosen. Those with remaining issues may leave notes, diaries, videos, or cryptic symbols that they, in their disordered mental state, imagine will be correctly interpreted by those who find them.

Some few, very few, have reached their final decision based upon a lifetime of oppression - real or imagined. They may have been picked on, bullied, or treated badly by life - or not. But feeling that way is real, even if the actual treatment they feel life has given them isn't.

When those few decide to pick up a gun and go kill someone, they are not afraid. They are not thinking about the lives of those people they are about to kill. They are thinking only about their own pain, their own sadness, and the end which is shortly to come.

The behavior of those trapped while alive after doing a mass shooting seems to be similar - they continue to kill, shoot, or fight, until they realize they can kill no one else. At that point, they take the action they had already planned to take. Some choose to engage the police intentionally, in what is known as 'suicide by cop', as they cannot bring themselves to turn their guns on themselves. Others just blow themselves away after being injured or otherwise trapped.

Their goal is to express their pain, treat others as they feel they have been treated in an effort to 'balance the scales', to 'get back' at society and know they will not have to face any repercussions for their actions, and in some cases, to ensure they are remembered for something - that their lives had meaning - even negative meaning. For a brief period of time, they have the power they imagine others have had over them, and they are not powerless.

The thing about power is that it has to be expressed to be experienced.

So they express it. Since there are consequences to that type of expression of power, they then immediately kill themselves to avoid them.