Maslow's hierarchy of needs and your dojo....

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever considered Maslow's hierarchy of needs and how it relates to a dojo being run? I know Maslow's theory isn't perfect, but there are some important lessons here I think.

I also think this explains some reasons basement dojos can be better places to train than one run as a business. After all if you are at the bottom of the pyramid, trying to keep the lights on and pay the bills, that's going to affect your goals and focus as an instructor.

When you don't have overhead, it's easier to prioritize focusing on what is best for your students, vs getting more students and contracts.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maslow's a good map for a lot of things... and might work for the social structure within a training hall (why are people there? what shapes the relationships?) but I think you're making a stretch to rate training halls against training halls on that model.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everything has pros and cons. It's more about the way it's ran than about the type of dojo.

A basement dojo may be run by someone who wants to give a personal touch to every student, or who wants to focus on students that aren't just looking for a mcdojo. Or it might be someone who isn't qualified to teach, but wants to, and so the only way they can get students is to offer classes for free.

A commercial dojo is likely to have more students, which means more training partners. If the dojo is in competition with other dojos, they're going to make sure that they remain competitive in what they offer. That may be by offering a better price or a better quality of instruction. Or it may be offering guaranteed belts after 12 months of training.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maslow's hierarchy of needs assumes you need the bottom needs first, then once those are filled you can move to the next level, and so on..

I fail to see how that works for martial arts. What MA dojo is getting the bottom needs (water, food, sleep, and clothes), for their students? And even if your school is doing that, are they then going ahead and fulfilling the needs for employment resources, and health insurance/benefits/reliability?

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Maslow's hierarchy of needs assumes you need the bottom needs first, then once those are filled you can move to the next level, and so on..

I fail to see how that works for martial arts. What MA dojo is getting the bottom needs (water, food, sleep, and clothes), for their students? And even if your school is doing that, are they then going ahead and fulfilling the needs for employment resources, and health insurance/benefits/reliability?
I agree Maslow's theory has holes in it. But I believe it still offers some perspective on certain situations.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started for a variation on Problem Solving, I really enjoyed the solving the problems, be they new techniques or training to be better than I was the day before.
I also help those with problems who show up and have specific problems. Yes it keeps my student level down to a handful. I don't mind teaching large groups, and have taught lots of seminars and camps. I have found that some people need specific questions answered as they are a first responder type. They have their approved techniques and procedures and rules of engagement. I can work within them and help them resolve their concern and they move along.
How does this help the art ? -- It doesn't.
How does this help with the basics of providing food and safety for me? - It doesn't - I have other sources that provide for that.
How does this help those with he questions? - A lot - they can pay the drop in rate, work a few classes to get it down enough to practice on their own. It saves them time and money and also protects their basic needs as well as it keeps them able to be safe and to provide for themselves and their families.
Why would I do anything like this? - I don't have a conscious reason other than it helps. It keeps people out of the art classes so those serious can concentrate and the students get outside influence during those classes. It helps everyone all around. Only able to accomplish this as I am not paying for everything from the instructions I provide. This is no disrespect to those who do pay for their life style / needs / safety - as that is a different difficulty I have not tried nor would immediately succeed at. It would require work and effort. I acknowledge that.
I agree some of the garage / basement / renting space once or twice a week clubs can be a better model for certain needs / students .

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Looking at it, I'm thinking, althiough it does not fit perfectly, into a successful dojo, parts do apply, possibly more than we want to admit

1306px-Maslow%27s_Hierarchy_of_Needs2.svg.png

Especially Safety needs and Physiological needs, at least IMO. One would loke to think they teach or attend a dojo based on love of the art, but to have a successful dojo, be that running or attending, it would need to be safe and fulfill ones physiological needs. From the teacher/owner prespective it wojld need to supply eniough money to provide food, basiclly finacial needs. From a student view it should not take away to much financially yo impede ones physiological needs.

Safety, again IMO, is important to avoid getting sued or injury as to effect physiological needs. so if you are going to follow Maslow's Hierarchy that those 2 are in the right place. As for the rest, thise are debagtable as to importance

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the OP's metaphor is about the dojo's needs, as if the dojo had its own hierarchy, as if the dojo were a person.
  • Its physiological needs are heat, power and space: in order to exist.
  • Its security needs might be regular fees, as in a subscription model, to ensure continuation of the physiological needs ($).
  • Its belongingness needs might be harmony with other dojos and masters, a larger organization, conferences, visits, and so on.
  • Esteem needs might come from the atmosphere, posters, awards, posters of old masters, the shrine, etc.
  • self-actualization might come when all of those are met: that would be a healthy, thriving dojo.

Latest Discussions