Chinese wrestling (Shuai Chiao, or Shuai Jiao)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Find a SC solo form video for this. It links all 36 throws into 1 form. If one learns this form, it can help him to remember all 36 different throws.

- Does a traditional form have to be several hundreds years old?
- Is this a good way to preserve a MA system?

What's your opinion on this?

Last edited:

Mostly Wu

White Belt
Reaction score
I met some of those guys, all from the same club, and we went on the mats together. In Wu style TCC, we do something we call Freestyle pushing hands. No blows, just grappling. We let a lot more go than they do in tournaments, I.e. contact to the neck and lower body is permitted if not encouraged.

The Shui Jiao Sifu, an older Chinese with broken English, was excited to see us, as we had quite a few decent quality club members. He kept saying, “you, Shui Jiao”, and “Hao(good)”.

I found the students to have similar throws and moves. They were a newer club, so had less experience. I did find that they were a bit too amped up, and stiff, which leads to injury. When we train, you know when the other guy has you, so,you submit to the throw and roll out of it, if you can. These guys would fight you on the way down, grabbing on to your clothing, twisting, etc. To me, when you are training, there is a rule of thumb that you don’t drive a guy into the mat when you’ve got the upper hand, or cause him to fall awkwardly, as it can cause serious injury.
I threw one guy, and he fought me on the way down. I was trying to let him down gently, and he ended up pranging my knee.I was a good deal younger then, and was just about have another go at him , and frankly, love him up a bit to teach him a lesson, but cooler heads prevailed. I just begged off working with him, or any of them, any more, paid my respects to the Sifu, and left.

I am sure that there are some very good practioners, but these guys in general didn’timpress me all that much compared, to say, a judoka, or some of the guys in my own club, or a BJJ type. I am not sure what they have as far as blows.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
when the other guy has you, so,you submit to the throw and roll out of it, if you can. These guys would fight you on the way down, grabbing on to your clothing, twisting, etc. To me, when you are training, there is a rule of thumb that you don’t drive a guy into the mat when you’ve got the upper hand, or cause him to fall awkwardly, as it can cause serious injury.
I threw one guy, and he fought me on the way down.
I agree that in Chinese wrestling training (not life and death situation), you should release your hold and not drag your opponent down when you are thrown.

When I was young, one time I dargged my opponent down when he threw me. he dropped his elbow straight down on my heart. He almost killed me that day.

Latest Discussions