Dojo bathrooms: You need...

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is more for those who have their own schools, or are managing one.

One of the most important rooms in a dojo, besides the training floor, is the bathroom. This bathroom is going to be used by almost all of your students, and as a result, you really have to careful about how it's operating. Remember, this isn't just a bathroom used by you and your family; it's a community room, and as a result, you need to keep it stocked.

Here's some critical things you need:

Extra toilet paper - Trust me; you'll run out at the worst times. Always keep a spare 4 pack in the office area, and only use when you run out of your main stock.

Extra paper towels - see above entry. Not quite as critical as TP, but still very important.

Liquid soap - People's hands are going to be dirty, and there's less of a mess with liquid soap than there is with a solid bar. The foaming soaps also work well.

Air freshener - Yes, people's waste materials stink, and many times, your students are going to be embarassed by the stench they leave behind. You can do everyone a favor by keeping a cannister of Lysol in there, so that they can at least freshen up the air. Also, Ozium (you can buy it from Wal Mart, where they sell automotive air fresheners) works exceptionally well with just a really tiny spray.

Toilet bowl cleaner - Residues can get nasty. Something like ordinary Ajax or Comet powder can also work well.

Toilet plunger - Kids are going to clog the toilet, whether it's because of too much toilet paper, or because they had a terrible emergency.

Mouthwash - Cool Mint Listerine works well here. People are going to sometimes be coming into the dojo after having eaten a lot of raw onions, or maybe you need something to wash out those mouthpieces. Either way, it doesn't go to waste. Besides, your students should never fear the other person's kiai simply because of a bad odor...

Multi-purpose contact lens solutions - Some of your students will be wearing contact lenses. Some of the might forget to bring their solutions, or perhaps they just need to rewet their lenses. Also, these solutions are excellent for washing out anyone's eyes, if they have something stuck in them.

Coat hangers (wire) - A million and one uses. You can hang your gi's from them, your coats, etc. You can also disassemble one and use it to unclog a toilet, in case if the plunger proves ineffective.

Ammonia / alcohol based window cleaner (Windex) - A very versatile cleaner. You can quickly clean off toilet seats, the floor around the toilet, the sink, and the mirror, with this stuff, and it will do a good job. Toilet messes are very common, after all...

Extra light bulbs - people already make a mess in the bathroom. If they can't see where they're going, you can rest assured, that the messes will be even worse.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is more for those who have their own schools, or are managing one.

One of the most important rooms in a dojo, besides the training floor, is the bathroom. This bathroom is going to be used by almost all of your students, and as a result, you really have to careful about how it's operating. Remember, this isn't just a bathroom used by you and your family; it's a community room, and as a result, you need to keep it stocked.

Here's some critical things you need:

Extra toilet paper - Trust me; you'll run out at the worst times. Always keep a spare 4 pack in the office area, and only use when you run out of your main stock.

Extra paper towels - see above entry. Not quite as critical as TP, but still very important.

Liquid soap - People's hands are going to be dirty, and there's less of a mess with liquid soap than there is with a solid bar. The foaming soaps also work well.

Air freshener - Yes, people's waste materials stink, and many times, your students are going to be embarassed by the stench they leave behind. You can do everyone a favor by keeping a cannister of Lysol in there, so that they can at least freshen up the air. Also, Ozium (you can buy it from Wal Mart, where they sell automotive air fresheners) works exceptionally well with just a really tiny spray.

Toilet bowl cleaner - Residues can get nasty. Something like ordinary Ajax or Comet powder can also work well.

Toilet plunger - Kids are going to clog the toilet, whether it's because of too much toilet paper, or because they had a terrible emergency.

Mouthwash - Cool Mint Listerine works well here. People are going to sometimes be coming into the dojo after having eaten a lot of raw onions, or maybe you need something to wash out those mouthpieces. Either way, it doesn't go to waste. Besides, your students should never fear the other person's kiai simply because of a bad odor...

Multi-purpose contact lens solutions - Some of your students will be wearing contact lenses. Some of the might forget to bring their solutions, or perhaps they just need to rewet their lenses. Also, these solutions are excellent for washing out anyone's eyes, if they have something stuck in them.

Coat hangers (wire) - A million and one uses. You can hang your gi's from them, your coats, etc. You can also disassemble one and use it to unclog a toilet, in case if the plunger proves ineffective.

Ammonia / alcohol based window cleaner (Windex) - A very versatile cleaner. You can quickly clean off toilet seats, the floor around the toilet, the sink, and the mirror, with this stuff, and it will do a good job. Toilet messes are very common, after all...

Extra light bulbs - people already make a mess in the bathroom. If they can't see where they're going, you can rest assured, that the messes will be even worse.

Really good ideas---this should be a sticky, no?

The contact lens solution idea is brilliant. But I can see one problem: for a lot of people, using the same vial as someone else might bring them into more intimate contact with other people's body fluids than they might feel comfortable with... folks are very cautious about that sort of thing, these days, and I know from my own experience that when I use CL rewetting drops, very often the tip of the vial does contact my eye...

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really good ideas---this should be a sticky, no?

Agreed. This should be a sticky.

Some people seem to think that the bathroom would automatically clean itself up or that it is "somebody else's job". They don't always realize they need to take responsibility themselves to try to keep it as clean as possible.

exile said:
The contact lens solution idea is brilliant. But I can see one problem: for a lot of people, using the same vial as someone else might bring them into more intimate contact with other people's body fluids than they might feel comfortable with... folks are very cautious about that sort of thing, these days, and I know from my own experience that when I use CL rewetting drops, very often the tip of the vial does contact my eye...

Plus sometimes people may have allergies to certain types of solutions if it is not the same brand they use. The suggestion of having some on hand is not a bad idea itself. It should be at least be there ready for eye emergencies.

I usually try to bring my own solution in a small bottle and stash it in my gym bag.

- Ceicei

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. This should be a sticky.

Some people seem to think that the bathroom would automatically clean itself up or that it is "somebody else's job". They don't always realize they need to take responsibility themselves to try to keep it as clean as possible.

Right, and the rot sets in very quickly in a bathroom where people aren't being conscientious about cleaning up after themselves.

Plus sometimes people may have allergies to certain types of solutions if it is not the same brand they use. Not a bad idea itself. I usually try to bring my own in a small bottle and stash it in my gym bag.

- Ceicei

I also try to keep some on me, but it's easy to forget, to leave it in the pocket of the pants or jacket you wore yesterday, etc.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a student that cleans my Dojo and Bathroom for me. In exchange I do not charge her for he lessons here. it works great form me she is a clean freak... what great idears for thet room thanks i will pass then on.
steve

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teach men how to pee in the bowl and not all over the place!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a student that cleans my Dojo and Bathroom for me. In exchange I do not charge her for he lessons here. it works great form me she is a clean freak... what great idears for thet room thanks i will pass then on.
steve

Same thing at the gym I workout at..He get a free membership and he deserves it cause the Mens Locker Room is always a mess..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol! I know, some men have been properly brought up! I work in an all male environment and men's toilet habits make me laugh! It's as if taking the newspaper off to the loo and spending an hour in there is a hobby!
We are lucky, our gym is located in a military estblishment and there's a cleaner who 'does' for us.
Could I suggest for the ladies some sanitary products? Tricky for the men I know expecially if you have an older childrens class. Bit off subject here but when we started the club and were choosing uniforms I insisted on black Gi's simply because girls and women were more comfortable with black.
A uni sex spray deodorant too would be nice, in the grappling arts especially, you can get a little paranoid over freshness.We can buy deodorant wipes here also antiseptic wipes for surfaces, use them a lot on the mats after a blood spill or child wetting themselves.
Rubber/plastic disposable gloves ( the surgical type)... useful for everything!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some room spray would be a BIG HELP..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding a bit kinky here lol I don't mind the (faint) smell of fresh sweat on people but it's when Gi's aren't washed that I get annoyed, especially thick Judo/BJJ type Gi's. The thinner karate/TKD ones are bad enough. We have those room sprays that only have a light scent but get rid of smells rather than mask them.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding a bit kinky here lol I don't mind the (faint) smell of fresh sweat on people

Not for the smell of sweat I mean for the toilet area...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not for the smell of sweat I mean for the toilet area...
Ah! air freshener was mentioned in the original post so I thought maybe for the main training areas too!

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
nice candle helps out with that. bathroom issue.
steve

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you have a seperate women's bathroom, one thing that's nice to keep on hand would be some extra "femimine products".

Also, swiffers are nice to have on hand to go over the floors quickly. It can even be used on the mat for a quick clean up.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a seperate women's bathroom, one thing that's nice to keep on hand would be some extra "femimine products".

That's the ideal solution (separate bathrooms make for happier marriages too lol)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might consider hand sanitizer ... everywhere. When folks have allergies and are sneezing, scratching, working with others, they may want to sanitize and I would encourage that practice vigorously.

Kleenex.

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kosho said:
nice candle helps out with that. bathroom issue.
steve

Steve, a good idea, but the last thing I want are open flames in the dojo. I know the possibility of something bad happening is remote, but it only takes one occurrence.

Tez3 said:
Rubber/plastic disposable gloves ( the surgical type)... useful for everything!

Yeah, a box of disposable gloves is certainly worth its weight in gold. People will have accidents of various kinds, and it's much better to handle such things (literally) when covered up.

Once in a while at the nearby labs, when people are throwing away expired boxes of gloves, I'll grab a few boxes.

Teach men how to pee in the bowl and not all over the place!

Quite true, but it also applies to women as well. Some refuse to sit down (I keep the toilet seat clean at all times, using Lysol cleaner or Windex). The results, as you already know, can be disasterous.

I never knew about this, thinking that one of the boys in the dojo had the worst aim of all time. I was actually about to give a lecture at the end of the class aimed at the boys in the dojo, regarding aiming correctly, until one of the ladies in the dojo notified me of the other possibility!

I now have a sign the bathroom that reads:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Other people will be using this bathroom after you. It is your obligation to clean up any messes you make.

To your left is a bottle of disinfectant spray cleaner. To your right is a roll of paper towels. Use them.

Of course, the warning isn't always heeded, but if it can help curb the messes...

shesulsa said:
You might consider hand sanitizer ... everywhere. When folks have allergies and are sneezing, scratching, working with others, they may want to sanitize and I would encourage that practice vigorously.

Good idea. I'm going to put a pump bottle near the refrigerator, and one in the office. There are all sorts of formulations out there that won't dry the skin, and the generic bottles from Wal Mart or Target are good enough.

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Kleenex.

Bravo to this idea. I got conjunctivitis ( commonly know as "pink eye") 3 times from working out with folks that didn't wash thier hands at a previous studio in the 90's.

Latest Discussions