which is a type of belt???
________________________--------

That is Y i did not list them
But Thanks for the Tip:)

I will keep that in mind

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Usually, CMA have no "rank" system per se... just students and instructors. This is changing in the US a little, since people in the US tend to be very goal oriented (as well as the money making aspect for those schools who are less ethical in their instruction format).

In Yiliquan we wear a sash or belt (depends on the uniform and the occasion, both of which have been discussed on other threads). The real reason we wear one is as an aid to breathing training. When the sash or belt is tied snugly around the lower abdomen, it provides instant feedback on whether a student is performing their breathing correctly.

The secondary purpose of the sash or belt is a logistical one geared for the instructors - by having different colors (in Yili, it goes white, yellow, blue, green, brown, black, red), students who are training in particular areas can be more easily determined, separated, and taught more efficiently.

I don't think it is a bad idea, really. I know there are many CMA proponents who reject such a convention - they say that traditionally CMA has never employed such a system, and therefore it is bad. Whatever. I think their bigger concern is the tarnishing of the reputation of CMA on the whole by the unethical instructors, less so the changing of "tradition."

There is no standardization, however, that I am aware of (unlike JMA, where pretty much it is 10 below black, and 10 above black).

Gambarimasu.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
The real reason we wear one is as an aid to breathing training. When the sash or belt is tied snugly around the lower abdomen, it provides instant feedback on whether a student is performing their breathing correctly.

Yes, that is the main reason you hear of CMA wearing a sash of some type.

I don't think it is a bad idea, really. I know there are many CMA proponents who reject such a convention - they say that traditionally CMA has never employed such a system, and therefore it is bad. Whatever. I think their bigger concern is the tarnishing of the reputation of CMA on the whole by the unethical instructors, less so the changing of "tradition."

Yeah, I agree with you on that one. We have a "level" system at our school, we don't wear sashes or belts to show that "rank" but it helps seperate classes and such.

7sm

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most systems of FMA have no belts. Traditional CMA uses no belts, but a 'familial' seniority system.

Cthulhu

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The problem with "familial seniority" is that it isn't necessarily reflective of skill... Of course, that can be said for poorly managed belt systems as well.

I know that, at least in my little corner of Yiliquan, the standards are rigorously applied, and if you are at a certain level you are capable of a few things... This is maintained across the board. Sometimes "junior" grades are capable of "senior" performance, but that still doesn't get them "moved up" until they have checked the blocks for knowing the how, why, where and when of everything else...

Tough thing, these martial arts. Tougher still to maintain standards...

Gambarimasu.

M

MartialArtist

Shuai chiao

wing chun doesn't really have belts, but they have a ranking system

M

MartialArtist

Yes, but shuai chiao is different from say, freestyle wrestling, or greco-roman

K

Kiz Bell

Koryu (old style/traditional) iaijutsu, kenjutsu and jodo have no belt/rank system. They use the "menkyo" system, which basically means you are a student until you get your teaching licence. There are a number of grades of teaching licence, and there are dan gradings I beleive, but no kyu grades. I have heard that some schools in America have instituted a kyu/dan grade system, but I have never personally encountered this, and it could be something certain schools do to get extra money. It is not part of the koryu system.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by ace
1. J.K.D.
2. Mauy Thai
3. Boxing
4. Wrestling
5. Kick Boxing
6. Shoot Fighting
7. Savate

____________________-------

Did i miss any.

I know the Belt System originated
With Kano's Judo
But how did the others start>??????
:burp:

Primo,

Balintawak ( Filipino artial Arts from Cebu PI ) has only two ranks. Those ranks are Teacher and Student.

Rich
:asian:

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is realy good stuff:D :D :D

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by FruitLoopy
Russian Martial Arts don't usually have belt systems.

You try and tie a belt up after drinking all that vodka!
:iws:

OP
ace

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Are there other systems?????
Other than Sombo , Sambo , Cambo?????//////:confused:

G

GouRonin

I think Sombo has belts because of the Judo/Jiujitsu influence. Such as it evolved from jiujitsu as did Judo(Japanese Randori), Brazilian JiuJitsu(Brazilian Randori) so Sombo is somewhat Russian Randori.

Each art developed the aspect they liked most about it. They have a lot of the same techniques but use certain ones more frequently. ie - The Brazilians are not big on the leg locks although they have them intheir arsenal. In fact some Brazilians look down on the holds as being cheap while the Russians don't care. The Japanese prefer to stand up more hence the Judo love of their throws.

In any case, the 3 arts kept the belts it seems but the arts origin are not cultural in Russia and Brazil.

Latest Discussions