Martial Arts With out Belts

P

Pyros

What Krav Maga organization is that? I know a few from the original organization of the founder and they don't use belts. Hey, they don't even wear any uniform to which they'd use the belts for. They have a ranking system of "levels" but that's it.

S

sweeper

my understanding is that most belt ranking comes from the japanese/judo, it might be easier to ask the question who outside of japan does have belts.. I know alot of south east asian martial arts may or may not have belts, by that I mean one school may use belts where as another of the same style does not..

P

Pyros

Originally posted by sweeper
my understanding is that most belt ranking comes from the japanese/judo

If I remember correctly, it was Jigoro Kano, the founder of Kodokan Judo, who established the kyu-dan belt rank system as we know it.

Q

Qasim

Originally posted by Pyros
What Krav Maga organization is that? I know a few from the original organization of the founder and they don't use belts. Hey, they don't even wear any uniform to which they'd use the belts for. They have a ranking system of "levels" but that's it.

Check these links.

http://www.kravmagainc.com/levels.html

On this one you'll see the founder and a high ranking student wearing belts and the authentication letters state rank based on levels associated with belts.

http://kravmaga.com/Home/History/history.html

P

Pyros

Seems so Qasim! I guess the belt system was added quite recently. I haven't been involved with Krav Maga, but the last time I read about it with any depth (sometimes in late 80s or early 90s) they clearly said they don't use traditional belts and had some 10 or so levels.

Q

Qasim

I don't know much about it at all, but I just happened to see it mentioned one day after that Jennifer Lopez movie. So I did a search and found those sites.

S

SteelShadow

I stand corrected i myself havnt had any dealing with krav maga since about 95 and the ones i seen then didnt use belts thanks for the info....

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kiz Bell
Koryu (old style/traditional) iaijutsu, kenjutsu and jodo have no belt/rank system. They use the "menkyo" system, which basically means you are a student until you get your teaching licence. There are a number of grades of teaching licence, and there are dan gradings I beleive, but no kyu grades. I have heard that some schools in America have instituted a kyu/dan grade system, but I have never personally encountered this, and it could be something certain schools do to get extra money. It is not part of the koryu system.

This isn't so much the case anymore, Kiz. Some lines of Daito ryu have belt systems, Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho....even the Tokyo style of Shinto Muso ryu Jo does. Many Koryu bujutsu ryuha have adopted the kyu/dan grading system. Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho used kyu/dan as well as the menkyo system.

Latest Discussions