Martial Arts That Don't Do Calisthenics Training?

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I signed my eight year old daughter up for karate at the same dojo I train at. She was having problems at school with another student last year, so I pitched karate to her and she took it up.

She's now three months in, and no longer cares for it. I asked her why, and the answer that she dreaded the calisthenic exercises.

I don't want to force her to do something that she dreads doing, but I do want her in a martial art.

That said, are there martial arts that do not have calisthenics as part of the training; at least for children's classes?

Before anyone answers that it's club-specific, great, but I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia - where three-quarters of every shopping center has at least one martial arts club in it. I'd be searching forever.

I just need to know if there are any arts that, as a general rule (i.e., some clubs may be exceptions), do not practice calisthenics - at least for children.

Help!

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Your best bet is a Martial arts trainer who will teach private lessons, Or does personal training. Have them train her in self defense, Or whatever goals you want to achieve. Also have them set up a supplemental training program. While your daughter may not want to do any physical training you must have a basic level of physical ability to make Self Defense work.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
So the problem with the school she’s currently at is...they’re exercising?....isn’t that a good thing? Of course kids don’t like it but it’s part of the course of making them stronger and fitter.

let’s be honest I very much doubt that’s the only reason. Majority of kids in martial arts class don’t want to be there. They’d rather be at home watching tv or playing video games and no you shouldn’t force her to do it. It’s a waste of your time her time and the instructors time. Best thing to do. Tell her she can quit and don’t say anything else. If then she asks to find somewhere else to do it then look but if she doesn’t show any interest in carrying on. Find her something else to do. It’s not for everyone and that’s fair. But tbh if she wants to quit after 3 months because they’re doing physical exercise....I highly doubt she’ll be in it for the long run.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your best bet is a Martial arts trainer who will teach private lessons, Or does personal training. Have them train her in self defense, Or whatever goals you want to achieve. Also have them set up a supplemental training program. While your daughter may not want to do any physical training you must have a basic level of physical ability to make Self Defense work.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Absolutely. In my school fitness is a massive part because simply if you gas out you can’t fight Your technique goes down the toilet. So every one of my classes whether it be kids or adults the warm up is a physical workout with running, push ups, sit ups and squats and hard pad work. I’m aware not to make it a pure fitness class but 20 minutes of each of my 1 hour kids classes is fitness based because frankly. That’s what parents are paying for for their kid to get fit and burn energy. I’ve had parents ask me if I could turn down the amount of fitness I do because little Timmy doesn’t like it. My answer is always no. I’m not stupid either I don’t make them do 50 push ups and sit ups etc but I get them to do sets of 5 and more running than anything

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I signed my eight year old daughter up for karate at the same dojo I train at. She was having problems at school with another student last year, so I pitched karate to her and she took it up.

She's now three months in, and no longer cares for it. I asked her why, and the answer that she dreaded the calisthenic exercises.

I don't want to force her to do something that she dreads doing, but I do want her in a martial art.

That said, are there martial arts that do not have calisthenics as part of the training; at least for children's classes?

Before anyone answers that it's club-specific, great, but I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia - where three-quarters of every shopping center has at least one martial arts club in it. I'd be searching forever.

I just need to know if there are any arts that, as a general rule (i.e., some clubs may be exceptions), do not practice calisthenics - at least for children.

Help!
i think you have the problem the wrongway round, the kid needs exercise, all kids need exercise, not pandering to, find something she likes that includeds exercise such that she doesnt notice the exercise, as it is ma without a fitness eliment is about as useful as flower arranging, so if she fancies that, send her there at least youl have a nice table display, and she could take an eye out with a rose stem

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
i think you have the problem the wrongway round, the kid needs exercise, all kids need exercise, not pandering to, find something she likes that includeds exercise such that she doesnt notice the exercise, as it is ma without a fitness eliment is about as useful as flower arranging, so if she fancies that, send her there at least youl have a nice table display, and she could take an eye out with a rose stem
pretty much Yeah . Like I said before. If after 3 months she wants to quit because they make her exercise then it’s unlikely she’ll be training martial arts long term.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Help!
Some people believe in:

- You go to school to learn.
- You come home to train.

Others believe in:

- You go to school to train.
- You come home to rest.

IMO, it makes no sense to do push up, sit up, ... in a MA school. I have seen a MA school that the instructor asked his students to stand in horse stance while he went to next door bar to have a drink.

In MA school, a student should train partner drills that the training partner is not available at home.

Bruce-arm-jam.gif

Bruce-cut.gif

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people believe in:

- You go to school to learn.
- You come home to train.

Others believe in:

- You go to school to train.
- You come home to rest.

IMO, it makes no sense to do push up, sit up, ... in a MA school. I have seen a MA school that the instructor asked his students to stand in horse stance while he went to next door bar to have a drink.

In MA school, a student should train partner drills that the training partner is not available at home.

Bruce-arm-jam.gif

Bruce-cut.gif
she 8, kids dont do exercise, they do play that hopefully includes exercise, tell them to run and they will refuse, tell them your playing tag and they will run their hearts out

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A martial arts school does not need to do extensive, or even any, calisthenics. However, the training of the martial art ought to be done rigorously, and itself is calisthenics. So sure, cut out the pushups and sit-ups and sprints, but if the training of the martial techniques and curriculum doesn’t cause you to break a sweat and get your heart rate up, then it’s being done wrong. Your daughter will not develop any useful skill if she is unwilling or uninterested in some level of physical exertion on a regular and consistent basis. Nobody can teach her a handful of easy tricks to keep her safe, that she can use effectively, without her putting in some hard work to develop the skill and to maintain the skill. Martial arts training is long-term and requires ongoing training and practice. It is not a quick fix.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Help!

It's always tough with kids that age.

Has she done any sparring yet, Rusty?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
she 8, kids dont do exercise, they do play that hopefully includes exercise, tell them to run and they will refuse, tell them your playing tag and they will run their hearts out
Why not just to repeat the partner drill:

- I punch and you block.
- You punch and I block.

1,000 times no stop?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's wrong just to repeat the partner drill:

- I punch and you block.
- You punch and I block.

1,000 times no stop?
is it fun for an 8 yo, id sugest not, its not fun for anyone when you get in to 3 figures let alone 4

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why not just to repeat the partner drill:

- I punch and you block.
- You punch and I block.

1,000 times no stop?
Because by the time they get to 20 of them they’ll be bored to tears and then their technique will get sloppy as they’ll start rushing to get it finished so they can get it over with. That’s the equivalent of having to write lines at school for detention. Tedious boring and repetitive.

no child is ever going to do 1000 reps of one drill never going to happen

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because by the time they get to 20 of them they’ll be bored to tears and then their technique will get sloppy as they’ll start rushing to get it finished so they can get it over with. That’s the equivalent of having to write lines at school for detention. Tedious boring and repetitive.

no child is ever going to do 1000 reps of one drill never going to happen

Doing high reps is a great mental exercise if done correctly, that is the challenge. An excellent exercise for the typical person today. "I want it and I want it now" now does not work when wanting to build MA skills. Can the exercises be broken up to make them more palatable? Yes. A valid point for kids. Does breaking curriculum up add to the overall time to attain proficiency? Yes. A key indicator of this in systems with belting is the increase in the number of lower ranking black belts (1st Dan to 3rd Dan). Many have moved through the belt system but are still at learning standards that are considered lower for many TMA's. Good or bad? As long as the keep working out and learning I think it will all even out at some point, assuming they are in a good school/system.
NO, these folks should not think they are ready to go out and open their own school.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doing high reps is a great mental exercise if done correctly, that is the challenge. An excellent exercise for the typical person today. "I want it and I want it now" now does not work when wanting to build MA skills. Can the exercises be broken up to make them more palatable? Yes. A valid point for kids. Does breaking curriculum up add to the overall time to attain proficiency? Yes. A key indicator of this in systems with belting is the increase in the number of lower ranking black belts (1st Dan to 3rd Dan). Many have moved through the belt system but are still at learning standards that are considered lower for many TMA's. Good or bad? As long as the keep working out and learning I think it will all even out at some point, assuming they are in a good school/system.
NO, these folks should not think they are ready to go out and open their own school.
well yes people do learn through repetition, but you can have to much of it, once reps have reached your boredom freshhold, what ever that is, there little point in continuing, and for a child that thresh hold is generally very low,

encouraging them to continue doing pointless reps is just teaching them to be a drone, teach them to question if the exercise has any tangable benifit to them and if not to refuse to participate, thats a much better life lession

my friends daught who was 9 at the time, was having significant problems with her reading books, to the point she was two years behind her class mates, no amount of making her do repetition was helping, a private tutor got no where.

il teach her in a month in 10 mins a day i said, and i did, by turning it into a game, of doing silly voices and adding daft things to the text, and then taking her out for a burger and ice cream, the kid wasnt thick , just bored , 10 valuable mins beats the hell out of three hours of boring reps

she a school teacher now??? hope she learnt not to bore the kids in to submision ?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Help!
id also be wary, that the kid is telling the truth about the problem, it may be that she really doesnt want to do ma, and rather than disapoint you, as your clearly very much in favour, she is picking one specific eliment, to object to.

so either ask her what she would rather do instead and let her do that or if your determind she should do ma for her own benifit, try bribing her with a new bike, xbox etal, that way she has a tangable prize to work towards

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Help!

Would it hurt you to maybe accept your daughter just doesn't want to do martial arts?

If she's not gonna lift weights to build a little muscle, she'd have to replace that "lack" with some other form of resistance training. Which means pull ups and push ups (calisthenics).

I mean, as much as I hate to be blunt, a soft martial art that doesn't encourage strenuous exercise is not gonna do ANYONE any good. You pitched martial arts to your daughter. How about convincing her that weight training or gymnastics will make her have cool knockout power? Otherwise, she might be better off having a different extracurricular activity.

And let's be honest. The best self defense is the sense to avoid high risk situations.

D

Deleted member 39746

The only type i can think of not to do them, wouldnt do any or many exercises. They would work on the presumption you are a labouror or otherwise fit/healthy and just teach you fighting.

And the direct above isnt really true, some people just hate some exercises and the rinse and repeat exercise mould of not tailoring the exercise to the person and you cant do it does get some people out of it. I hate body weight exercises largely because i cant do them, so if i was younger it would be a reason as to why i wouldnt do something, because i had to do this thing i hated. Well, i dont hate the anynore, i dislike them, but im not forced not to do a progressive version of it. And children dont really have a good control of or handle of them emotions/ability to express themselves yet to be honest.

Anyway, apart from my above, the private training/discuss with the person teaching route (if it is soley the exercise type) is the best.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You would be hard-pressed, to find one that doesn't. Tai Chi maybe?