Martial Arts That Don't Do Calisthenics Training?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kids do have a short attention span (I do know exceptions) Whether doing warm-up exercises or techniques, a good instructor should make it fun: Throw in a few laughs, some creative exercises, tell some MA relevant stories while stretching... Then gradually get more serious as they start to appreciate what they're learning. Also role play some real life scenarios they might experience at school or the playground they can relate to. Seven to ten year olds generally are at the border of really understanding what MA concepts are about, except in the simplest terms. Just like you size up an opponent prior to engagement, you must size up your students' capabilities and adapt your style to be most effective engaging them.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i find tai chi very very difficult, its the slow, almost isometric movement that does it
I agree, I remember when I first learned tai chi, it was difficult but it was enjoyable and when I learned the long form, I realized it was in line with a type of slow calisthenics. The kid most likely wouldn't realize that it was until later.

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kids do have a short attention span (I do know exceptions) Whether doing warm-up exercises or techniques, a good instructor should make it fun: Throw in a few laughs, some creative exercises, tell some MA relevant stories while stretching... Then gradually get more serious as they start to appreciate what they're learning. Also role play some real life scenarios they might experience at school or the playground they can relate to. Seven to ten year olds generally are at the border of really understanding what MA concepts are about, except in the simplest terms. Just like you size up an opponent prior to engagement, you must size up your students' capabilities and adapt your style to be most effective engaging them.

Easier said than done.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I signed my eight year old daughter up for karate at the same dojo I train at. She was having problems at school with another student last year, so I pitched karate to her and she took it up.

She's now three months in, and no longer cares for it. I asked her why, and the answer that she dreaded the calisthenic exercises.

I don't want to force her to do something that she dreads doing, but I do want her in a martial art.

That said, are there martial arts that do not have calisthenics as part of the training; at least for children's classes?

Before anyone answers that it's club-specific, great, but I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia - where three-quarters of every shopping center has at least one martial arts club in it. I'd be searching forever.

I just need to know if there are any arts that, as a general rule (i.e., some clubs may be exceptions), do not practice calisthenics - at least for children.

Help!
Maybe beginner's Krav Maga? I did some classes a while back for a couple of months, and it was the only class where every single thing was completely focused on self-defense. At most we did this running drill where we would switch random directions and do our best not to bump into other people, but I don't even recall doing pushups.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
She might be bored with karate. See if there's a different type of MA in your area. My daughter for example hated Karate and Bjj, but loved Capoeira.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
She might be bored with karate. See if there's a different type of MA in your area. My daughter for example hated Karate and Bjj, but loved Capoeira.
or may not want to do ma at all, kids should really be able to pick their own hobbies and past times.

life hard enough as a kids having to do things youd rather not, with out having your leisure time hijacked

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
or may not want to do ma at all, kids should really be able to pick their own hobbies and past times.

life hard enough as a kids having to do things youd rather not, with out having your leisure time hijacked

That's true as well. I offered her Capoeria because of the dance component, which she enjoyed. However, if she didn't end up enjoying that, then maybe MA isn't for her. My other daughter does soccer, and honestly she's so tough and fit that I doubt many boys would give her any trouble.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's true as well. I offered her Capoeria because of the dance component, which she enjoyed. However, if she didn't end up enjoying that, then maybe MA isn't for her. My other daughter does soccer, and honestly she's so tough and fit that I doubt many boys would give her any trouble.
thats good parenting, there does seem a tandancy for loving parents to try and mould childten in their own immage or if they wish they had done something when they were young to just assume the kid wants to as well

i cant tell you how many mind numbing hours i spent fishing as a kid, when their was an infinete number of things id rather do and very few to which fishing was an improvement.

father thought is an example of parental involvement and of fostering a life long hobby, i considered it child abuse

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Great post.

Latest Discussions