Martial Arts = Satan

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
C'mon, negative rep me again... I dare ya... :rolleyes:

Somebody or somebodies really take this reputation point thing seriously... I got dinged two more times, both anonymously, for my previous post on this thread.

Please note that I invite any and all negative reputation point assignment from anyone, anywhere. Especially the anonymous ones. It speaks volumes about the giver's motivations, orientation, as well as their real "spirit."

See, adults, grown men and women, aren't afraid to address something in public. Skittish, frightened, juvenile internet armchair warriors, however, hide behind the safety of their keyboards and make pathetic, lame attacks in lieu of being able to do anything else.

C'mon, negative rep me again... I double dog dare ya... :rolleyes:

And after you do, go work on growing up. :rolleyes:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.

Please, keep the conversation on topic.

- MJ :asian:
- MT Moderator -

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Let me orient my posts a little better, then...

I posted a negative attitude toward detractors of martial arts practice who equate such practice with "evil" elements of their religion. Then, with spectacularly poor information on the real history of a given martial art, as well as a completely incorrect idea of the impact a religion (not theirs) has had on that given martial art, they begin a tirade against martial arts practice based solely on that accumulated bad information. Instead of any particular person to whom my comments ran afoul addressing my comments publicly and refuting them, they instead remained behind the scenes and anonymously dinged my reputation points in an attempt to illustrate their disapproval (as if the number of reputation points genuinely matters to me).

I would like to see, personally, someone make a detailed and logical argument against martial practice. That someone, however, should understand the real history of martial arts, as opposed to the popularly held and wholly incorrect "karate came from monks at the Shaolin temple" Hollywood version. Further, I would like to see specific and extensive citations of the prohibitions against martial practice as set forth in their religious practice. Then we can compare notes side by side and evaluate their position.

Since it is the detractors who are attempting to prove their position, the burden of evidence resides with them. Failure to document their position, relying intead on "my pastor says," or other third person commentary, fails the common sense test... If a person subscribes to a belief, then that person should be able to document the specifics of their belief. If they can't, they don't believe, they allow others to believe for them...

Enjoy.

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In response to the original topic I'll give my traditional response to all fanatics.It's only blasphemy if you are right and since you cant prove that SOD OFF!It might not be subtle but it gets to the point.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting how those who would decry martial arts as "satanic" are so incapable of responding in a timely fashion with specific citations as to how, precisely, martial training is devil-spawned...

I asked four days ago for those who had either replied negatively, or in an amusing but vain display negatively impacted my oh so important reputation score, to respond with their own thoughts (not those of their pastor/priest/holy person) and citations from the Bible to support their positions.

Thus far, I'd say they've failed. Another instance of "faith" really being some peoples' inclination to let others think on their behalf, providing the sheeple with "opinions" and "beliefs" that are only partially formed and mostly misunderstood by their herd... I mean "congregation."

"Faith" and "belief" mean nothing if you can't somehow substantiate your "faith" and "belief" with believable arguments. There are several thousand years worth of documented synods, councils, and other assemblies of clergy who did just that in order to fully codify what their particular sect held as true. You'd think after all their work, it'd be incredibly easy for followers of their traditions to explain why they think martial arts are "from the devil."

Let's see how long it takes for someone to refute this... Looking back over some of the posts on this thread, I'm looking forward for Donald or anyone else to tell me what in martial arts is being taught as being "above Jesus."

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Currently, I am working on a thesis of "Martial Arts and the Complexities of Religion". Christians (no offense) seem to have the most opposition in comparison with other religions.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I personally dont see what the big deal is..unless some religious faction is shutting dojos down.

So some people think MA is "evil"...big deal.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What strikes me as humorous (as a wannabe cultural anthropologist and a student of history) is how selective Christianity can be...

American Christianity is so far removed from its roots as to have become an almost entirely different religion. Parables are misinterpreted as literal teachings, and literal teachings are misinterpreted as parables. Documents and texts that were inherent in the Early Church are viewed as heresies today, while "leaders" in the American Christian movement repeat all the same mistakes that leaders of the Early Church were criticized for...

A little off topic, I saw a report on TV a week or so ago about Benny Hinn's "ministry," and the incredibly lavish lifestyle he engages in at his "ministry's" expense... One of his subordinate church leader actually said during her interview that she thought Christ would want the leaders of the church to live a comfortable lifestyle, and that Benny deserved to do so! The fact that Christ was a pauper, a homeless man hanging out with a dozen of his pals, that they begged for much of what they had and relied on the contributions of others to exist seems lost on them.

Ah well. I was raised a Catholic, but have broken with that upbringing. I am considering moving into the Eastern Orthodox (Russian) Church, as it contains much of the teachings I agree with as well as having a firm tie to its own history without creatively rewriting it. But whatever. Bottom line, martial values, meditational techniques, etc., are no more satanic than any other human frailty.

It'll be interesting to hear alternate arguments...

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since I began the "graveyard" shift at work Ive been listening to Art Bells' radio show...apparently this is just the tip of the iceberg as far as "odd ideas" go...:erg:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
I would like to see, personally, someone make a detailed and logical argument against martial practice. That someone, however, should understand the real history of martial arts, as opposed to the popularly held and wholly incorrect "karate came from monks at the Shaolin temple" Hollywood version. Further, I would like to see specific and extensive citations of the prohibitions against martial practice as set forth in their religious practice. Then we can compare notes side by side and evaluate their position.
Speaking on the monk thingy-I found this interesting:

http://www.spiritualminds.com/authors.asp?authorid=12885

http://www.spiritualminds.com/articles.asp?articleid=1833

Latest Discussions