Martial Arts = Satan

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's always someone who's going to bring up old posts.. hence we archive them but keep them available.. But hopefully the old threads at least have some information in them that will garner new members to respond accordingly.

Other than that.. we just let the ones that are to old to do any good .. die out...

OP
T

TonyM.

It's still a good thread. The folks that wrote that gibberish don't really believe in it. There are buzz words in the article that a group of people have been using for four hundred years. This is another example of disinformation from these folks. If they can't take it over and control it, they discredit or distroy it.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How entertaining that someone gives me negative reputation points (ooh, how that stings!) because of a post I made 2 years ago...

I stand by my opinion - those who believe anything and everything they are told, especially when under the guise of religious instruction and based on bad historical information (the Zen Buddhist origins of karate are complete and utter ********), deserve whatever public ridicule they receive.

C'mon, negative rep me again... I dare ya... :rolleyes:

(* Post edited for content, Please allow the filter to do the work it was designed for, Thank you. Rich Parsons Martial Talk Super Moderator *)

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
As a believing christian. I just have to comment. Anything, or anyone who exalts, or teaches to exalt something above The Lord Jesus. Is evil per God's Word. There are martial arts that include some form of mystical component. If this mystical teaching opposes God's Word, it is evil/sin. I believe that a believer can practice a martial art. If it does not teach anything that opposes The Word of God. I think alot of christian's have formed an opinion that is based on what they have heard. Not on what they know of the martial arts in general. Some believers would call me deceived. I don't agree. I do not see anything in God's Word that declares a sport, evil. I don't see anything that declares self defense, or the practice there of as evil. I have heard various teachings on the turn the other cheek verse, and the go get a sword verse. I believe that we(believers)must approach all things in this life with prayer, in the light of God's Word. I believe that The Lord Jesus has been teaching me to trust in Him. If we remain there I don't think we will be easily side tracked. If you have no faith in Christ. You have no where to begin. Our spiritual life must come first, then everything else. I hope this made some sense to someone out there?
By His Grace,
1stJohn 1:9

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why exactly is Christianity better than what some martial arts teach? For that matter, is someone who uses martial arts to promote Christianity any better than an instructor who doesn't? Martial arts are NOT religion, pure and simple. Some are more connected with aspects of Eastern philosophy than others, but that does not make them evil. Why is learning to become one with the universe evil?
If you believe that God created the Universe, then by extension by becoming one with the Universe, you are becoming one with God. But I suppose that since Christ is not mentioned in any of this, it must be evil. But these philosophies predate Christ by hundreds of years. You're telling me that a philosophy hundreds of years older than Christianity, but striving for universal peace and Enlightenment, is evil because it is not Christianity?
Pardon me while I throw up. My stomach dislikes being handed BS.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many Christians say that qigong and meditation are satanic in orientation. Whatever. Doing something natural to enhance one's natural self is obviously evil. Just the same as sex being evil as well... That which God created to allow Man to procreate must certainly be evil and dirty, right? Thereby implying that God is capable of creating something that is imperfect and inherently evil..? Why would He do such a thing?

Personally, I subscribe to a good many Gnostic Christian teachings, to include the thinking that a God of truth, love and goodness can create nothing that is dishonest, hateful and sinful. So for me, qigong, meditation, etc., are no more damaging than eating or drinking...

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Seems to me that if there is a Devil (which I doubt), you can pretty much find him everywhere--including among the pious, in churches, and among the yahoos currently down in Florida meddling in other people's marriages, getting as far as they can from the many, many people who could desperately use their help right across from their home.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As long as people who believe what he believes are not out closing down MA schools, who cares if that's what he believes? He stated what he believes and he has the right to. I may not agree with everything he said either, but I disagree with some opinions of others around here even more.

The way I read Donalds post, it sounds like hes supporting MA and against the blanket "evil" charge anyway.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Well, I agree with your comment. However, I also read, "Donald's," post above, and it's always good to know that all of us who believe differently are doomed to everlasting hellfire, since, "If you have no faith in Christ. You have no where to begin."

Personally, I think that if Satan can be found anywhere, it's in that sort of arrogance.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
and it's always good to know that all of us who believe differently are doomed to everlasting hellfire, since, "If you have no faith in Christ. You have no where to begin."
Worry not, good friend, for I shall seek you out when I arrive, and buy you a cold one. :cheers:

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Or, as a friend of mine told me a while back when I told him, "You're going to hell for that, ya know...."

"Yeah, but at least I'll know everybody."

I'll hold you to it. Let's hope that they have Steinlager, or Hacker-Pschorr-Munchen, or Dos Equis lager...I wonder what bar food's like in Hell? Maybe they got those little shrimp, wrapped in peppers and grilled, I had down in Guyamas...

But I got the second round. I figure I still be teaching comp and kenpo, so I'll have a job.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Or, as a friend of mine told me a while back when I told him, "You're going to hell for that, ya know...."

"Yeah, but at least I'll know everybody."

I'll hold you to it. Let's hope that they have Steinlager, or Hacker-Pschorr-Munchen, or Dos Equis lager...I wonder what bar food's like in Hell? Maybe they got those little shrimp, wrapped in peppers and grilled, I had down in Guyamas...

But I got the second round. I figure I still be teaching comp and kenpo, so I'll have a job.
If Martial Arts are considered evil, you're in "good" company..... I'll join you at your dojo. :wink:

- Ceicei

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
donald said:
As a believing christian. I just have to comment. Anything, or anyone who exalts, or teaches to exalt something above The Lord Jesus. Is evil per God's Word. There are martial arts that include some form of mystical component. If this mystical teaching opposes God's Word, it is evil/sin. I believe that a believer can practice a martial art. If it does not teach anything that opposes The Word of God. I think alot of christian's have formed an opinion that is based on what they have heard. Not on what they know of the martial arts in general. Some believers would call me deceived. I don't agree. I do not see anything in God's Word that declares a sport, evil. I don't see anything that declares self defense, or the practice there of as evil. I have heard various teachings on the turn the other cheek verse, and the go get a sword verse. I believe that we(believers)must approach all things in this life with prayer, in the light of God's Word. I believe that The Lord Jesus has been teaching me to trust in Him. If we remain there I don't think we will be easily side tracked. If you have no faith in Christ. You have no where to begin. Our spiritual life must come first, then everything else. I hope this made some sense to someone out there?
By His Grace,
perhaps it is the need for certain christian to use gospel to turn anyone against other things in order to keep their mind on religion...or perhaps it is the same old human thinking about myth or untruths and making a opinions before learned awareness

OP
I

Infrazael

Link isn't working bro. . . .

Or I have no idea what to click on??? It gives me links to video games. . . . . .

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you scroll down and read more of the thread, you'll see that the link most likely doesn't work because it's 2 years old.

OP
I

Infrazael

donald said:
By His Grace,
This is the particular reason why I left Christianity (now a Chaosist, which is essentially a meta-paradigm NOT a religion, and a paradox simulataneously). Fundamentalism = closed-mindedness. . . . I look back, and I replay the times when the pastor was saying how Buddhism was evil, how Hinduism was evil, and how they will lead you to hell.

I don't every hear Buddhists saying Christianity is evil. I hear the Dalai Lama saying how Christ's teachings have fundamental truths to them, and that people should listen to them (in one of the books written by the Dalai Lama).

I only hear Christians bashing other religions, calling everything "against the word of God," to be inherently evil.

Oh my, guess to Crusades can now be justified.