Martial Arts = Satan

OP
T

TKDman

Well the site is right to an extent. Some Martial Arts schools and instructors take their art to a religous form. A lot of people take Zen seriously and use Karate as a missionary almost. I mean with their traditions, bowing, ceremonies, and even burning insense in some cases. Look at some Aikido schools, its almost some kind of Eastern Church. Many schools preach the Mind + Body + Spirit stuff. I can see where it is taken to a religous level. A lot of places practice Meditation and Yoga.... Im just here to learn punches and kicks not ur magical bs or your stupid stories.

I am glad my school is just Martial Arts and not magic bologna.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TKDman
Well the site is right to an extent. Some Martial Arts schools and instructors take their art to a religous form. A lot of people take Zen seriously and use Karate as a missionary almost. I mean with their traditions, bowing, ceremonies, and even burning insense in some cases. Look at some Aikido schools, its almost some kind of Eastern Church. Many schools preach the Mind + Body + Spirit stuff. I can see where it is taken to a religous level. A lot of places practice Meditation and Yoga.... Im just here to learn punches and kicks not ur magical bs or your stupid stories.

I am glad my school is just Martial Arts and not magic bologna.

In my opinion, religion has to have a deity. Zen, then, isn't a religion. It's a philosophy.

As I mentioned before, prayer can be considered a form of meditation.

But meditation isn't "religious" or "mystical" by nature. It's simply a tool to improve focus and concentration. To me "mind, body, spirit" has nothing to do with religion. It's about melding the mind, body, and spirit (attitude, intent) toward a specific, focused goal.

Fanatics can warp anything out of proportion. Yes, there are fanatics who turn MA training into a religious thing. But, in my experience, they're rare.

There are also those who bring their religious beliefs into their MA training. I personally disagree with this, but I don't think it's "wrong."

And there are some systems that have religious undertones because the founder brought them into it. But I wouldn't count Aikido in this. Nor would I count anything that uses the Zen philosophy as this.

What this site is doing, though, is making some very broad generalizations, erroneous assumptions, and then using left-field logic to say that martial arts are bad. It was written by a narrow minded fanatic with some sort of agenda. And, personally, I think it's disgusting and very "wrong."

But, I live in America and, I believe, so does the author of that article. Therefore, he has a right (both legally and morally) to his opinion and I have to (both legally and morally) respect that. I don't have to agree with it, though. And am free to state my own opinion :)

Mike

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The site seems to be inaccesible now. Wonder if it's from all the hits from the board :)

Cthulhu

OP
D

Dennis_Mahon

These people are fanatics who see evil everywhere. If there were more martial artists in the world and fewer nuts like these it would be a better, less bigotted place to live in.

And what makes you believe that martial artists are (as a whole) any better than this group?

OP
J

Jill666

Originally posted by Zepp
If that frightens you, go to their "Ask the Team" section and read the message from "Master X." I think that guy may be scarier.

:D

Jeez- I tried but they seems to be inaccessible now. Think they're on to us? :borg:

OP
I

Infight

Fists is right, stop thinking by yourself, and let they think for you. Im not a sinner since there is nothing related to BJJ, maybe butchers but not sinners, oh my..!!!! im thinking, stop it, stop it..................oh much better now.

OP
C

CHUNNER

In reply to your question, I live in Northern Ireland where small mindedness and bigotry are endemic. In my 21 years training I have found that those who train seriously in the martial arts are amongst the most open minded reasonable and tolerant people I have met.

I have been trained by, trained with and taught people from both communities and have never experienced any of the attitudes that have poisoned my country for over 35 years. Indeed the martial arts is one of the few activities over here where people from both communities freely mix.

This is the basis for my statement.

It is of course... only my opinion.

OP
C

CHUNNER

In reply to your question, I live in Northern Ireland where small mindedness and bigotry are endemic. In my 21 years training I have found that those who train seriously in the martial arts are amongst the most open minded reasonable and tolerant people I have met.

I have been trained by, trained with and taught people from both communities and have never experienced any of the attitudes that have poisoned my country for over 35 years. Indeed the martial arts is one of the few activities over here where people from both communities freely mix.

This is the basis for my statement.

It is of course... only my opinion.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I was young I wanted to study martial arts SO badly...

My parents wouldn’t allow it because they felt it was a "Negative religious Experience tied into Cults." (And Neither of my parents was religious) I never really bought into it, however, I just wasn’t allowed to Join a school.

My first real Martial Arts Experience was when I was in basic training at Ft. Benning... and I discovered that it was NOT a cult... I have been doing martial arts for over 10 years now, I am working on a Degree in world religion and oh yeah, I am an ordained Christian Minister.

Add to that the Fact I have a Yin-Yang Tattoo... I just cannot understand their point of view... But I also believe this type of closed-minded Christianity is what pushes people away from God, and does nothing constructive except to spread fear and mistrust.

But I don't want to turn this into a sermon, Just an observation that this is NOT the way all Christians feel about the Martial Arts, and that not all the people who believe this sort of junk are Christians.

Just chock it all up to the REAL force of evil... THE MEDIA.

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Jill666
Jeez- I tried but they seems to be inaccessible now. Think they're on to us? :borg:

No I used a remote dim mak technique on the webmaster. I'm able to throw my chi over great distances.

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Technopunk
OH... You Study YELLOW BAMBOO... :D
actually a super secret sect that branched off of them. I study Brass Monkey.......

OP
J

Jill666

I'll be relieved to once a gain have a sturdy and reliable source to keep me from evil.

Latest Discussions