Martial Arts Magazines?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What martial arts magazines do you find useful? I find most of the mainstream ones to be too sensationalized--every art is "the deadliest ever", etc. I wish more had the quality of interviews found in magazines like The Dragon Times for example. I like being introduced to new arts and seeing a bit of them and learning something about their principles and practice, as well as good interviews (which the Dragon Times seems to specialize in).

F

fist of fury

Unfortunately I haven't found a good one yet but I'm open to suggestions.

K

kickyou

I like TKD Times it has good interviews in it.You just have to overlook the BS

R

Rob_Broad

It is hard to find a good Martial arts magazine because it is expensive to put out a publication like any of themagazines on the market. So they have have tons of advertisers to be able to pay for the publication process. Then you have to appeal to masses if you want to sell more than a few hundred copies and infortunately the masses want the quick fix and all the sensationalism. It is too bad there aren't more major magazines with substance, the only ohter route is an e-zine. If you go the e-zine route you have to find one that doesn't want to sell you every product under the sun through pop up ads. Those are worse than the 20 pages Panther productions used to have in the magazines.

:soapbox: I'll step down now and let someone else speak on this subject

K

Kirk

I read an article in a m.a. mag ... don't remember which one ..
it was about the advantages Muay Thai would have against
a TKD fighter, and vice versa. So it'd say "the TKD artist would
best use x tactic to defend against this, the MT fighter would be
better off using x tactic to defend against that". I would enjoy
more articles such as this, with varying arts.

The problem with advertisers is that they're somewhat limited.
I'm curious as to why more health product companies don't
advertise in m.a. mags? It sure seems to me that a lot of
m.a.-ists would be interested in supplements, or weights or
protective gear for exercising. I don't know about y'all, but
I'm tired of seeing the century ads, the bill wallace ads, etc.
Same old stuff!

Which brings me to my next question. Maybe we can all invent
some products here. Is there anything that anyone's been trying
to find, yet can't? E.g. more tailored ghi pants, or different types
of padding, or sparring equipment. Anything that you want that's
just WAY too expensive?

C

Chiduce

I get Martial Arts Professional Magazine and Kung Fu Qi Gong! The MAP mag give tips on running your dojo, attracting new students, UBC or Ultimate Body Shaping, Teaching and much more! The Kung Fu Qi Gong offers Shaolin Qi Gong exercises and Shaolin Kung Fu street combat methods as well as articles on new styles and information on styles such as; wing chun, tai chi ch'uan, praying mantis etc,. Both are great tools for me to introduce to my students the benefits of health, fitness, and street combative training in the martial arts! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!:asian:

F

fist of fury

I read Kung Fu Qi Gong mag a little bit it seems to be one of the better m.a. mags out there.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When Black Belt Mag. first came out it was very informative. The interviews and articles where on the top instructors in the world.
Now it seems like if you run an ad or get a good pr man your in their mag.
Everyone and their whole family seem to be experts at everything.
I see more grandMaster and Heads of familys listed than is resonable in the amount of time the martial arts have been in this (US) country.
Most of the adds are all the same (but they are the same in all the mags.) "I'm the best" or "the world undisputed high muckymuck Champion"
I really would like to see articles from all over the world on those who have really promoted their arts .
Shadow

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kickyou

I like TKD Times it has good interviews in it.You just have to overlook the BS

I used to rear it but it was too WTF biased for my tastes, of course that was 10 years ago, but I still don't read it any more.

Now it's usually just Black Belt or one of the specialty off shoots of it like Grappling or Masters.

:asian:

R

Rob_Broad

Heres a wild idea why not have the members of Martialtalk produce an ezine? It already has a subscription base at its fingertips, just have the material for the ezine not be posted until after each issue.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by Rob_Broad
Heres a wild idea why have the members of Martial talk produce an ezine?

You're too smart for your own good Rob.
:)

S

Shinzu

i subscribe to black belt. it does have alot of advertisements but the articles to me catch my interest.

this is my first year of getting it and i have not been dissapointed yet. every magazine is going to have some sort of BS or promotions. it just depends on your taste of reading. i feel black belt has alot of quality articles.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Heres a wild idea why not have the members of Martialtalk produce an ezine?

This is an interesting idea--is it technologically feasible? It could have an irregular publication date.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by arnisador

This is an interesting idea--is it technologically feasible? It could have an irregular publication date.

I'm a programmer for a living, I'd pitch in my services if there's
other programmers that'd want to work on it together.

R

Rob_Broad

It would be hard to put together enough info every other month, and with the people we have inthis forum there is bound to be some good stuff. We wold just have to have people pitch their ideas and select the better ones.

R

Rob_Broad

I know we have several people with writing experience here so I am quite sure we could make a go of an ezine. It could also boost the membership of the foruma as people email the ezine to each other.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to read the Journal of Asian Martial Arts regularly. However, I haven't read it for several years and I don't know how much it's changed, or if it's still the same.

Regarding the e-zine...I had the opportunity to write for an e-zine, and actually had several drafts in the works. However, a severe personal issue came up and I had to step away from that. Unfortunately, it looks like the project was scrapped after I had to step away. No big loss, though, since most of that material ended up on this board in one way or another ;)

Cthulhu

D

Drunken Master

I am living in the UK and the only magazines I have seen are Martial Arts Illustrated and Combat.

I am not that keen on either of these as they are a bit sensationalistic and have more adverts than articles.

Can anyone suggest any other magazines and if so do they have a website where I could get more information.

Latest Discussions