Magazine Article Ideas

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In an effort to establish myself as a professional writer, I would like to work as a freelance writer for different magazine publications. I want to submit articles to a number of magazines that I already subscribe to, not to mention those that cover the martial arts.

My question to the MA community is what do you want to read about when you pick up your monthly editions? Do you like the history, the culture of different systems? Do you like the articles that cover technique or training principles? Or do you like the feel good, warm and fuzzy lifestyle type of articles about life and the martial arts? The last one, I must admit, is my favorite.

I don't intend to cover MMA, because I don't have the advantage of attending or watching all of the shows and I may just end up "repackaging" someone else's story...a big no-no in the writing world. I would like to just stick to what I can research.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide. I have taken a lot from martial arts and this is one way where I can give back.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just start writing down story ideas and pitch them to the editors. Make sure that you establish yourself as a unique, intelligent, and dynamic writer.

Good things will come.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just start writing down story ideas and pitch them to the editors. Make sure that you establish yourself as a unique, intelligent, and dynamic writer.

Good things will come.

This is good advice. You could simply ask one of the Managing editors what stories they are looking for - which will be the stories that sell their magazine. Most of these editors have an e-mail on line.

The first article I wrote for Black Belt Magazine in 2001, was simply something I sent in to the contact information in their magazine.

R. McLain
http://www.blackbeltmag.com/robert_mclain_freelance_writer_for_black_belt_magazine/archives/597

OP
Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is good advice. You could simply ask one of the Managing editors what stories they are looking for - which will be the stories that sell their magazine. Most of these editors have an e-mail on line.

The first article I wrote for Black Belt Magazine in 2001, was simply something I sent in to the contact information in their magazine.

R. McLain
http://www.blackbeltmag.com/robert_mclain_freelance_writer_for_black_belt_magazine/archives/597

Sweet! First hand experience! Now, that's what I'm talking about.

Latest Discussions