Martial Arts Magazines?

F

fist of fury

The advertisements don't bother me as much as the poor articles in many magazines.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by fist of fury

The advertisements don't bother me as much as the poor articles in many magazines.

Oh, like you can read! :rofl:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by fist of fury

So it's duel you want

To quote a good friend of mine: I refuse to fight you. However, I'd
be more than happy to help you figure out how to fall down.

:D :D :D :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

R

Ronin

Most of the magazines are 20% correct at best anyone can write to them and submit an article. Only to true beginners study them. Then after awhile in the arts they realize they are no better than the tabloids

R

Ronin

I shall back you up in the dual kirk we kenpo brothers must stick together!!!! prepare evil ones I study Jedi-ryu!!!! Darth Maul dont got nothing on me!!!!

R

Ronin

Ohhhh much better I just found my medication what were we talking about?

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The magazine Martial Arts' Insider has its first (full) issue on the stands now, with Adrian "Highlander" Paul on the cover. It is oriented toward martial arts in the entertainment industry.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I read Black Belt mag, and TKD times. Most of the time, BB mag is good (except for the ads), but sometimes they get stupid and print dumb stuff, like "the ultimate MA" (June issue) or "my art is better than yours" type crap. Read the "letters" section. It can get pretty funny with poeple talkin crap through the mag lol. Sometimes that stuff is worth buyin the mag for a good laugh lol.

TKD Times is still fairly small (that personal feel), and they usually have fairly good stuff, but the ads are catching up to them. They also print MA politic crap, but I guess there's no way around it.

I usually look through the mag before I buy it anyways. If there's something interesting or sparks my interest, I'll buy it. But if it doesn't, it goes back on the self.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, for a long time it seemed as though Black Belt magazine published principally two types of articles:

1. "NewStyleDo, is it the world's deadliest art?"
2. "What would Bruce Lee think about Topic_X if he were still alive?"

That has changed perhaps but the quality hasn't improved.

I

islandtime

Originally posted by arnisador

What martial arts magazines do you find useful? I find most of the mainstream ones to be too sensationalized--every art is "the deadliest ever", etc.
I used to read "Inside Kung Fu' back in the day. I don't ready any now do to the fact that I am mostly studying Iai
There is a new one called "Kendo World" that is about $40.00US per issue and deals with sword arts that all the Kendo/Iai doists are raving about. It is a quarterly and comes with a cd-rom.

I do read EJMAS e-zine on a regular basis and find it to be well written

Gene Gabel:asian:

T

Ty K. Doe

A magazine I used to like quite a bit was MA Training. I think it was published by Black Belt. I haven't seen it in circulation for quite a while so I don't know if it's still being published. Too bad I thought it was a great magazine.

K

Kenpo Wolf

MA Training was a awesome magazine, much better then it's parent magazine, Black Belt, which has been going downhill the last few years. The only time I pick it up is when it has a good kenpo or training article

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yari

Do you think that the way and contents of the magazines reflect the "health" of MA?

I hope not--they certainly drive the fads though.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the idea of producing an e-zine. As suggested, we have a ton of readers already and the board is already using advertising in form of banners so that seems to be easy to work with.

A question though...would this e-zine be "free" or "subscription" based? I am sure a lot of the contributors will gladly donate articles from time to time but to get a steady stream of articles, well $$ talks.

I would really like to contribute to this idea since I believe it is a great idea. How far has anyone thought of this? Has the project been mapped out yet?

Let me know what is going on and I can donate what time I have available in skills regarding HTML, XHTML, PHP, mySQL development as well as writing some articles on basically anything I know.

Deaf

Latest Discussions