Martial Arts Gifts

D

Despairbear

Here is a question for you all. Now that the holidays have more or less passed what do you feel would be a good martial arts "gift"? Some things to think about; price, availibilty, legality, wrapping difficulty (grin), fun, etc.

Despair Bear

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A Katana. You can usually find a nice "display" type with stand for under $100 US. I've noticed in some arts, a gift of such a set is common when reaching Black Belt.

Alternativly, a nice wooden Belt Display also goes well.

:asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Focus mitts or Thai pads. WaveMaster. I'd say a B.O.B., but they're too expensive. Shiny new gi.

Cthulhu

OP
R

Rob_Broad

CASH Give a person cash so they can get what they think they need or would like best. For me cash I would have been great instead od some damned hamster playing Kung Fu Fighting as it spins a pair on nunchucks. I would have used the cash for a seminar of my choice.

OP
I

Icepick

I love that hamster, but I didn't get one. :(

OP
R

Rubber Ducky

I have that hamster, it's great! That damn thing made me laugh 'til I cried when I first got it and it still amuses me now.

The nunchucks are a perfect addition. I've already scared a dog, mystified a cat, and pissed off a parrot with that thing.

My only problem with it is that I can't figure out which Chipmunk did the voiceover.

Pierre

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
I would say a kung fu fan. It's easy to wrap, 100 legal, and even if it doesn't get any use, it makes a great wall display. I got one for my little sis for christmas. How you hurt someone with those things, i'll never know, though.

and gou, what's wrong with century?

:flame: :fart:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Japanese equivalent, the Tessen, has a main body made of iron or steel. Sometimes, the ribs can also be made of iron or steel, but are usually bamboo. Don't know about the Chinese version, though.

For some examples of tessen, try:

http://www.budogu.com/

Look in the equipment section.

Cthulhu

OP
G

GouRonin

You mean aside from the fact that most of their stuff is poorly made and the prices are far too high in comparison to other manufactures? That they're taking a small market and abusing it with their monopoly?

Nothing.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Bravo Gou, someone else that says Century is abusive to the market.

OP
D

Despairbear

Where would you sugest that we look for our gear? There are not any decent MA supply stores where I live so on-line is really my only choise. No that I think century is the greatist company in the world but I have not seen much else out there, most of what I do find is even more $$$$$ the century.

Despair Bear

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Asian World has quality products, so does IKON, there are many smaller companies that offer great stuff. There is a supplier out of this forum that I would check out if I were you.

OP
G

GouRonin

You really have to search out and find good stuff. Century is not the end all be all. They make inferior products. (NOT ALL OF THEM) But those products are certainly usable. How many century products have you seen used in professional sports? Few if any. You're going to pay for top quality materials etc but century relly rips you for medium to low quality stuff. Heck, it might be good for you to use by yourself in your home. That's probably what it was meant for. I don't use a hobbystore tool on an industurial application.

I'm not against century. They make a tool. It's ok. NOT GREAT. But they charge far too much. I know they have to make a living but there has to be a commitment to the customer base at some point.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I have to admit...

Today, I bought some escrima sticks from Century. However, I did it to support a martial arts store that just opened in my area, so it was for a good cause :)

Cthulhu

OP
V

vincefuess

Century Martial Arts Supply
Sold Themselves Out and Here's Why-
Some Starch on the Collar
And The Almighty Dollar
Now They Can Eat Sh*t and Die.

OP
G

GouRonin

If they came down in price or up in quality it'd be ok.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bringing this ole thread back to life.. now that the Holidays are fast approaching... Every year our school has a Christmas Party with gift exchange.. usually 20 dollar or so gifts.. Fresh Ideas?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A copy of Legend Of The Drunken Master, first choice.

Second: books associated with a persons art, maybe?

For the Sensei: a chinese good luck cash cat with a waving paw.

Latest Discussions