Martial Arts and the law

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do not reccomend to register you hands. In a matter of fact, do not even state that you had martial art training-unless to your defense attorney. I have a interesting situation about this that actually happened to me. And it almost turned bad. No directed offense, for an instructor to request that you must, I say that he had crossed the line of what I need to do privately or personally. It will be like a instructor telling me that I must, or must not register to vote. The discission is mine privately and personally.

Here is a general law record that slightly varies:

Use of force in defense of person. A person is justified in the use of force or threat to use force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, he is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or serious bodily harm only if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or serious bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Sorry about the bold face, I cant seem to turn it off for now

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
martial man, did you read all of this thread? It's been established that it is a myth that you have to get your hands registered - its a myth that you can register your hands at all.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes I know. But other posters were pointing out info on topic to bust the myth. How was mine different?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, as promised here is an update on the kickboxer case in our county.

He took a plea as charged to "Assault w/ intent to do Great Bodily Harm--Less than Murder". His attorney explained that the prosecutor's office offered to cap it at county time (provided that his sentencing guildelines were what they figured them to be). He explained that he would do A LOT more time if he went to trial and was found guilty, also explained to him that he would be found guilty since it was his girlfriend he did it to, and there were LOTS of pictures of the damage and the surgery she had afterwards.

It would have been interesting to see if it would have gone to trial how both sides would have played the fact that he had trained in kickboxing.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Been in court-twice with this on two separate cases, two separate time intervals. One case, the guy had a knife! Almost lost BOTH cases. Better to keep the mouth shut and hope the OTHER side doesn't find out. You would have had a better chance in shooting him. At least it be claimed as a "accidental discharge of a firearm within city limits...

OP
A

agatanai atsilahu

When in doubt lie. I instruct all my students never to claim any knowledge of fight training of any kind. Nor will I admit to teaching any. I teach by private lesson alone, and even if I were ratted out internally by chance, they will find it quite difficult to produce any records of my training. So all I do then is run a fitness class. I know that sounds a bit clandestine and all but I am not going down because some lame decided to attack me. In fact the idea that people should have to worry in the back of their minds about legal ramifications while being attacked is sick. So it is not honorable, neither is death or jailtime. Just fall back on "I feared for my life" or "I blacked out in the fear of attack and dont remember exactly how I defended myself, or what I did."

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, is it due to liberalism or political correctness, which we have to hide ourselves like the knights of a templar? :) In the 70's, it was noble to be a martial artist and use such skills in the public like a guardian angel. Courts would have laughed and thrown out those cases before wasting the taxpayers' money. Can't blame it on the lawyers, it is the judges whom let them get away with it.

OP
A

agatanai atsilahu

Really. How bizarre some things in our society are. First lets remove all the guns from law abiding citizens so as to better prepare the criminal to more easily defeat and kill you. Then as of late lets punish those who train their hands and feet to protect self and family. Heck, why not just dig holes and lie down in them waiting to be buried.

Latest Discussions