Martial arts delusion and how it hurts women

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't get me started on Stranger Danger. Talk about delusion...

They call it something else - some other program at my daughters school. I just used that term because its stuck in my head. Local police participate in education. I like the basic point and we have discussed with my daughter. Part of an over all approach.

I am getting a feeling this thread is turning into a variant of "my system is best, others are BS"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They call it something else - some other program at my daughters school. I just used that term because its stuck in my head. Local police participate in education. I like the basic point and we have discussed with my daughter. Part of an over all approach.

I am getting a feeling this thread is turning into a variant of "my system is best, others are BS"
The issue isn't with Stranger Danger, itself, but the concept behind it. Kids are not under systematic danger from strangers (actually much safer today than 30 years ago, in that area). Because of this type of program, kids are actually less likely to ask an adult for help if they get lost, etc., increasing their risk rather than decreasing it.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't get me started on Stranger Danger. Talk about delusion...

Agreed. I really think that kind of a program has a lot more to do with making parents feel happy. Is it of some help? Very little. According to the Child Advocacy Center over 90% of child sexual abuse in committed by predators known to the victim child. I also think it is bad because 7 out of 10 kids will get lost in childhood. They will NEED to talk to strangers. So you need to be more nuanced. Tell them "look for another mommy with their kids and ask her for help."

I teach two things formally atm, not martial arts though :p. First one is Bicycle Patrol stuff (not relevant). About 10 years ago I started a program in the Elementary Schools in the town I work in related to safe routes to school. It doesn't only cover what you would think (bicycle safety, rules of the road, crossing at crossing guards etc.) I also include safety from predators. At that age there are really only 2 defenses. 1. bus, or parent driving, "portal to portal." 2. comes in two parts. Part 1...travel in groups, preferably groups of kids where all the parents are also on the same page. Part 2 have a password that is easy for you kid to remember (a pets name, their favorite cousin etc) in the event an adult the child is not familiar with has to separate them from their group.