Martial Arts and Entertainers

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It makes me question every high rank Parker awarded.
You should question all nosebleed ranks, in Kenpo; however, most promotions of that caliber were due to a guy actually running several schools, with a black belt running those schools, and people need to be promoted to keep the whole affair afloat. o_O

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep talking **** head hunter

Come in get it boy

I'll do it you Do you want a master showdown?

You people in here talking like this are not martial artists. You need to learn some respect. Lend opinions without disrespect. Tames D, you wouldn't make a wort on Parkers dead and bloated anus.

Nobody here wants this thread to get locked on the account of rain. This is a forum not a contest:
pissing-contest.gif

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. What would be the minimum number of free belts before you would feel a bit ripped off actually having to earn yoirs.
It depends upon how "free" they are. And my being upset about it isn't the same as my belt being de-legitimized.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, the staff is aware. Please allow us to deal with it. Don't allow yourself to become part of the problem.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. What would be the minimum number of free belts before you would feel a bit ripped off actually having to earn yoirs.

Well I look at it this way, if I am taught well and can thus fight well it doesnt matter. That other guy is actually hurt imo because he has a false impression of his ability. If too many such belts are handed out my assumption would be I wouldn't be getting adequate training.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It depends upon how "free" they are. And my being upset about it isn't the same as my belt being de-legitimized.

Well if your belt can be bought or handed off as a favor. Then it has been de-legitimised.

You might be a worthy person and a great martial artist. But your rank has been compromised.

And considering that rank may have been 10 years out of your life.

That could be quite a concern.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I look at it this way, if I am taught well and can thus fight well it doesnt matter. That other guy is actually hurt imo because he has a false impression of his ability. If too many such belts are handed out my assumption would be I wouldn't be getting adequate training.

I think it cheapens the concept of earning a belt.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You people in here talking like this are not martial artists. You need to learn some respect. Lend opinions without disrespect. Tames D, you wouldn't make a wort on Parkers dead and bloated anus.
Respect is one thing cult like worship is just creepy. Do I respect Parker as a martial artist? Of course he was great at what he did and was a great teacher and most of his students have become great teachers and martial artists. But he is human and is absolutely not perfect and honestly there's no doubt in any mind that Elvis rank was fake that's a fact deal with it for whatever reason he did that. Is it right no it's not does it take anything away from him absolutely not.

You need to grow up and respect opinions you're an adult and you're talking like a 10 year old challenging people to fights that's a lot more not like a martial artist than having a opinion

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I figure celebrities probably train martial arts at about the same level as non-celebrities. A small percentage train, of those who train, most do so casually, a few train seriously, and even fewer reach a high-level of accomplishment.

The only thing that makes me roll my eyes is when martial arts instructors with celebrity students make a big deal out of it, as if it somehow validates their instructor credentials. Why would it matter to me if you have students who are actors or singers or politicians? Your martial arts instruction is not what made them famous and successful in their chosen fields. Furthermore, celebrities have no special expertise in discerning great martial arts instruction from crappy martial arts instruction.

Then again, I also don't care when a professional athlete tells me which shoe to wear or beverage to drink, so maybe I'm just out of touch with the zeitgeist.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it cheapens the concept of earning a belt.

Well one of the arts I take, my Kali, only has two belts. Black sash (just what it sounds like) and red sash, which signifies a Guro/instructor. Other than that you simply earn levels. That lack of belts may color my opinion. /Shrug

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if your belt can be bought or handed off as a favor. Then it has been de-legitimised.

You might be a worthy person and a great martial artist. But your rank has been compromised.

And considering that rank may have been 10 years out of your life.

That could be quite a concern.
Not by one instance. And not by special situations.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure celebrities probably train martial arts at about the same level as non-celebrities. A small percentage train, of those who train, most do so casually, a few train seriously, and even fewer reach a high-level of accomplishment.

The only thing that makes me roll my eyes is when martial arts instructors with celebrity students make a big deal out of it, as if it somehow validates their instructor credentials. Why would it matter to me if you have students who are actors or singers or politicians? Your martial arts instruction is not what made them famous and successful in their chosen fields. Furthermore, celebrities have no special expertise in discerning great martial arts instruction from crappy martial arts instruction.

Then again, I also don't care when a professional athlete tells me which shoe to wear or beverage to drink, so maybe I'm just out of touch with the zeitgeist.
Agreed. At the same time, it's probably good marketing for an instructor, so I can't really blame them for using it to their advantage.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll pretend you didn't say this.
Do ye drinks a bit, do ye?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not going to read this entire thread, not interested in the drama and school yard antics, so I apologize if any or all of these are repeats

Gal Gadot was trained to serve as a combat trainer in the Israel Defense Forces.

Ashton Kutcher BJJ Black belt

Wesley Snipes: 5th dan black belt in Shotokan karate and 2nd dan black belt in hapkido, also trained in capoeira under Mestre Jelon Vieira and in a number of other disciplines including kung fu at the USA Shaolin Temple and Brazilian jiu-jitsu and kickboxing.

Mark Dacascos is proficient in his father’s style of martial arts, Wun Hop Kuen Do, he has also studied muay thai with kru puk, capoeira with Mestre Amen Santo, and wushu with Coaches Eric and Debbie Chen.

Michael Jai White: 8 black belts in shotokan, taekwondo, kobudo, goju ryu, tang soo do, wushu and kyokushin, having been training in jiu-jitsu since the age of seven.

John Cusack level six black belt in Urquidez’s Ukidokan kickboxing system.

Latest Discussions