Martial Arts: A way of life that changes lives.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Chobaja said:
Well, I heard that I should be careful from others as well. I didn't think I was losing weight that fast really. I also heard I could be losing muscle as well, though I only feel stronger.

What I am doing is eating about 800 - 900 calories a day, mostly vegetables, plain rice, grilled chicken, no added fats (0 margerine or butter). Or I'll just buy those 300 calorie lean cuisine meals. Breakfasts are always Oatmeal, plain, or plain yogurt with splenda. Lunch is usually a couple whole tomatoes, apples, some raw vegetable of some sort. I do allow myself some salt. I drink upwards to a gallon of water daily. I take a massive regimen of vitamins, natural E, calcium, etc.

The rest is easy. I jog or do the ellyptical machine in the morning and in the afternoon I practice kung fu. I rest on tuesdays since it's a day I have no kf class. I never break the diet, even for a treat or a special occasion. (Samantha's family was annoyed because we brought our own meals to the 4th of july dinner).

Thanks a whole lot for the heads up on the status of the diet, I will put serious consideration into your words. Your story is inspirational, what was your diet and excersize program like?
First of all, let me start off by stressing that I have no medical background, or any real expertise in this, so don't accept everything I say as Gospel. I have read quite a few books, and of course, have quite a bit of personal experience. But again, I am NOT an expert. I really urge you to check in with your doctor.

My first impression of your diet is that you are not eating enough calories.
You are probably burning at least 2000-3000 calories a day given your described activities. If so, a 1500 calorie/day diet would equate to a caloric deficit of
about 1000/day, which for the average person translates to losing 2 lbs/week. (3500 calories/lb of weight). IMHO, this is much safer and will lead to a more sustainable weight loss. I think your current consumption level is definitely causing you to lose muscle tissue. You aren't eating enough to sustain important body functions. Add to that the fact that you are eating "healthy" frozen dinners. These are VERY high in sodium. You mentioned that you are adding some salt to other foods. My UNTRAINED opinion is that all of this may be putting a fair amount of stress on your heart. See a doc, have him monitor your B.P., etc.

I also think you should add a modest program of resistance training. This will further increase your metabolism, bolster your muscle mass, and strengthen your bones. Along with this, you need more protein in your diet. You can get this from fish, skim milk, yogurt, beans, rice, and some vegetables. I really think this is important for your near term success AND long term health. By far, the best diet/nutrition book I have ever read re; long term weight control/health maintenance is : The Okinawa Program, by Willcox & Suzuki. BTW, any doctors reading this, please chime in with your thoughts, and don't be afraid to contradict anything I have said.

Also, feel free to PM with with any thoughts or questions. I'm pulling for you.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was hearing the same thing all over the place.. I took the smart route, as you and so many others have suggested, and I am eating around 1200 - 1500 daily.. I really have a hard time eating much anymore.. In fact after 2 months of near starvation, increasing my intake of food made me feel very heavy and sorta sick. Nonetheless, I can definitely vouch for increased performance so far. I weighed myself yesterday at 267.6 pounds. (I really wanted to just get into the suit I wore at my wedding when I first started, but now that those pants fall off me I'm forging ahead. )

As you suggested, I consume high proteins ie grilled chicken breast & plain rice with broccoli, no added fats at all (no butter, oil or cooking medium.) I also make sushi 3 or more times a week. Things like rice, avacado, and raw fish combind make a real protien packed meal. I use low sodium soy sauce and try to limit it.

I must admit, eating more food and choosing the right foods, limiting no-calorie things like salt, and doing it consistently is far more difficult than just drinking slimfast and microwaving tasty low cal frozen dinners, but the extra effort has totally been worth it. I got a bunch more weight off me, and I am getting stronger and better conditioned as well as getting thinner.

Thanks a bunch for the input, you've really helped a lot.

BTW.. I'm testing for my next belt on Saturday.. I'll be entering intermediate classes, I'm so excited to get out of pre-school and up against a real challenge. Wish me luck!

Martial Tucker said:
First of all, let me start off by stressing that I have no medical background, or any real expertise in this, so don't accept everything I say as Gospel. I have read quite a few books, and of course, have quite a bit of personal experience. But again, I am NOT an expert. I really urge you to check in with your doctor.

My first impression of your diet is that you are not eating enough calories.
You are probably burning at least 2000-3000 calories a day given your described activities. If so, a 1500 calorie/day diet would equate to a caloric deficit of
about 1000/day, which for the average person translates to losing 2 lbs/week. (3500 calories/lb of weight). IMHO, this is much safer and will lead to a more sustainable weight loss. I think your current consumption level is definitely causing you to lose muscle tissue. You aren't eating enough to sustain important body functions. Add to that the fact that you are eating "healthy" frozen dinners. These are VERY high in sodium. You mentioned that you are adding some salt to other foods. My UNTRAINED opinion is that all of this may be putting a fair amount of stress on your heart. See a doc, have him monitor your B.P., etc.

I also think you should add a modest program of resistance training. This will further increase your metabolism, bolster your muscle mass, and strengthen your bones. Along with this, you need more protein in your diet. You can get this from fish, skim milk, yogurt, beans, rice, and some vegetables. I really think this is important for your near term success AND long term health. By far, the best diet/nutrition book I have ever read re; long term weight control/health maintenance is : The Okinawa Program, by Willcox & Suzuki. BTW, any doctors reading this, please chime in with your thoughts, and don't be afraid to contradict anything I have said.

Also, feel free to PM with with any thoughts or questions. I'm pulling for you.

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
As many of you know, I started studying martial arts as a very heavy person. My first uniform was custom tailored for a 60" waist. My first belt was size 9. Yeah, they come that big.

As I have progressed in martial arts and developed the self discipline to throw out my Pizza hut membership card, I've seen some progress. I now fit in a size 7, the largest size that you can usually get. Original weight, 320. Current, 298.

Sorry I don't get a ton of posting in these days. I'm pretty busy, very stressed, and have a unique situation this holiday season. But I promised I would keep you posted on the ever progressing weight loss persuit and aspirations of great kung fu.

I just weighed myself again yesterday.. I haven't made a video yet, but my current weight is 240 lbs, and I wear a size 38 jeans. The weight loss now totals 90 lbs and I definitely gained several pounds in muscle mass. My massage therapy instructor is always complaining how she can't palpate me due to the amount of "highly developed muscle culture in my back and shoulders". I am very proud of that.

Aside from physical changes, nearly 11 months of martial arts training has done some things to my head, and my personality. I'm clearer, more focused, more logical. I'm becoming someone else.. I see change in everything and I am excited. I am ready to forget old things and find new adventures. I am working hard at everything in my life, when a year ago I was on my 4th year sitting on the couch.

I remember when I was still squeezing into my little toyota in my overstretched kung fu uniform, my white sash hanging down past my knee because I could only tie the sash around my waist once.. It was at least 10 inches short of even touching end to end when wrapped twice. I'd drive quickly to school, eager to hit the floor and kung some fu. I'd leave exhausted and worn, and my muscles ached. And I was overjoyed because I knew then that it was going to not be a matter of IF I would succeed, but rather a matter of WHEN.

Well, here I am. 90 lbs lighter and a helluva lot more life experiences on my lap at one time than I care to partake in.

In difficult times, training has pulled me through. Last week, for the first time ever, I got frustrated and stopped trying in class. I've never been that low. But still, I was reminded by my instructor Mr. White that kung fu is the eye of the storm. While castles crumble around me, when I train nothing but kung fu exists. Always keep at it, never ever let crisis beat you down so far you can't train. If you have to stop and feel sorry for yourself every 5 minutes, then go ahead, but keep at it.

I'm almost 30, still a babe in the woods, still like a child in too many ways. But just as I came to school at 330 lbs with the certainty that I would become fit, I wake up to life every morning with the certainty that I will finally develop into an adult. Kung fu and I will pull through with just a little bit of luck, a lot of endurance, and good friends like the ones I have made here on martial talk. You guys help make it possible.

Thank you.

:asian:

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your story is certainly a testament to your discipline and focus - great attributes in any martial practitioner. Well done.

And yes, back to your initial post...
Shaolinwind said:
So, in the company of people whom I respect I would like to sing praises of those who teach martial arts, those who encourage others to study, and those who show through example by using martial arts to benefit many facets of their lives. You guys and gals vicariously and literally help change lives for the better.
...I'd agree that those teachers who do not forget to inspire, motivate and encourage their students should be applauded. So often teachers become so caught in the administration of their club that these tenets are forgotten.

Still, well done you!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
I am excited about the future.. I am going to go to Kennywood amusement park here in Pittsburgh at the end of the season and see how many of the rides I can finally fit on!

Kennywood? w00t! I loved that place. My grandparents lived in Jeanette and I've spent a lot of time all over that side of Pa! So? How many rides didja ride?

Congratulations on your continued success, Shao. You're rocking and you're an inspiration to me and, I'm certain, to many others.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Glad to see things continue to go well. I saw one of your posts the other day in a different forum and was wondering how you were getting along. Keep going.....it just keeps getting better! Good luck!

MT

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are a true inspiration Shaolinwind. I am touched by your story and amazed at your perseverance.

:asian:

Lisa

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of encouraging statement more people need to hear. To find the strength to embark down a better road is hard. Just starting is an achievement.

The real test then becomes not giving up along that road. You have achieved a lot and will no doubt continue to succeed.

It is very inspiring. Thanks for your post, Shaolinwind.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shao, you truly are an inspiration. This path that you're on is nothing less than a metamorphizing journey and I commend you HIGHLY for sharing this so publicly with us. To me, this is what martial arts is about - not an end road, not competition, not who's the biggest badass ... it's about the journey to becoming a better person, healthier, stronger, more mature, more at peace, more ready. These are essential elements of a strong warrior - not neglect of the heart, but cultivation of it.

Many congratulations to you, SW, for making your journey thus far produce more and mean more than most people's first years.

Kudos and Holiday Cheer in your direction, you inspirational poster you! :asian:

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Kennywood? w00t! I loved that place. My grandparents lived in Jeanette and I've spent a lot of time all over that side of Pa! So? How many rides didja ride?

Congratulations on your continued success, Shao. You're rocking and you're an inspiration to me and, I'm certain, to many others.

Haha, I never made it in time. This spring I'll be able to get on all of them though and I'm going to celebrate that day annually. I can't wait. C'mon spring!

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind, I'm new here but I did see your video. I think that you are an inspiration to a lot of people, some you probably don't even know about. You've decided to improve yourself and change the direction of your life. Others may have helped inspire you but the decision to do it came from inside you. Not only have you lost over 20lbs (the more substantial thing is that you've turned a lot of your weight into muscle) but you've changed on the inside too. Martial Arts is just the vehicle you chose to help you achieve your goal.

Keep up the good work!

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely right, jdinca. If I could rep Shaolinwind more for his post I would.

All of us should strive in our lives to be better; to be more. Martial arts is the best way I know to develop the spirit necessary to do this.

We as martial artists need to help each other achieve our goals. A post like this is very inspiring. I hope we can each find reason to bring something like this to the forum more often.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's where Subway comes in for me! Instead of pizza, I get a turkey sub with lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, and a thin strip of mayo (I know mayo is bad, but a sandwhich ain't a sandwich without it, so I just put alittle on). DON"T GET THE CHEESE! I work at Subway and I know how much fat that cheese has. You don't wanna know. On a happier note, due to belly dance, martial arts, my new AB Lounge, and my daily turkey sub, I'm losing weight already! YAY! I'm not fat or anything, but I do have alitttle fat around my tummy and hips I'd like to rid myself of (don't we all). Keep up the good work Shoalin and you'll reach your goal!

Becky

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
As many of you know, I started studying martial arts as a very heavy person. My first uniform was custom tailored for a 60" waist. My first belt was size 9. Yeah, they come that big.

As I have progressed in martial arts and developed the self discipline to throw out my Pizza hut membership card, I've seen some progress. I now fit in a size 7, the largest size that you can usually get. Original weight, 320. Current, 298.

I think that Martial Arts have not just provided excersize, but also instilled a sense of personal dignity and self discipline that I wouldn't be able to start meeting my goals without. The martial arts would not be there if it wasn't for people like my Master, who choose to share their ancient disciplines with the public.

So, in the company of people whom I respect I would like to sing praises of those who teach martial arts, those who encourage others to study, and those who show through example by using martial arts to benefit many facets of their lives. You guys and gals vicariously and literally help change lives for the better.
Thats a great story. Martial arts is unique in its abillity to change a persons life. Its like a religion, combined with physical therapy. It changes your whole attitude, and apperance. Providing you have the proper teacher of course.

Latest Discussions