Martial Art as a Language

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not realistic from the point of view that I am not likely to be carrying a knife and get attacked by a knife wielding FMA expert on the way to the Spar shop to buy a pint of milk.

But it's your thread, what do you think?

OP
B

Bagh

White Belt
Reaction score
You know, everyone understands things on the basis of his personal experience and thus nobody can understand 100% exact what was meant by the speaker.
In my environment it is no wonder to meet a man carrying a knife, but of cource there is really a little chance to get attacked and no chance that an attacker would be a FMA expert using these complex techniques.
In my view the question about realism touches all martial arts and so it is important vor every martial artist. If we train for sport, there are rules there, but in real situation of self defense or war it wiil be better if our mind is not bound to a set of patterns(matter unrealistic). If we train for self defense or martial art, we can work through different scenarios, but the fault in performing intent is inevitable(form unrealistic).
But in fact I simply like the comparison of martial practice with conversation and would be glad to hear some thoughts on this topic.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What he's talking about makes perfect sense to me. It's not the only way to train, but it's one very useful way to train.

The conversation metaphor can be taken even further. When you first start learning a language, you might begin by memorizing vocabulary and guidebook phrases by rote. Eventually someone who becomes fluent in the language should have it internalized to the point where they can express new ideas on the fly in the middle of a heated debate.

OP
B

Bagh

White Belt
Reaction score
Indeed learning a martial art system is similar to learning a foreign language. We have words(techniques) and principles to combine them into meaningful units - grammar rules(tactics), and a lot of exircises(drills) as models(forms).
But there is a big difference too, as Marcaida had said.
Martial art practice is a conversation, but real fighting is a controversy, often not confined to means of a certain language.

BryceSPQR

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thought this was pretty cool...

That being said, I think it lasts a little long. The initial response and first counter attack would have been enough. Going back and forth trying to cut the dude 10 times is a little off. Protect yourself, respond quickly, and leave. Simple enough. As JUST a training technique it definitely gets them thinking.

BryceSPQR

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK!! So... i wrote that last response before the whole video was done. The more the main dude spoke, the more I liked ideology. He sums up the idea behind training. Cool dude.

Latest Discussions