MARK-a theory under construction, please comment

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score
Definitely like where it is going. Keep it up!

And as for Xue Sheng's comments, I agree to a point. Ultimately, it is important to simplify and train, but at different stages, for different people, analysis helps to internalize and grasp concepts. Sometimes, it's better to just do, but I always encourage thought, discussion and exploration. If it's a dead-end, that sometimes is as valuable as finding an answer. But the journey to understanding is both physical and mental.

OP
Live True

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually, Xue, I have absolutely no problem with your post. I also agree to a point (and did I mention I love your sense of humour?:pirate5:).

Right now, this is very much on my mind because I'm enjoying the exercise and continuing to gain from it. I fully intend to do what Celtic Crippler suggested and keep this as an ongoing model I take out time and again and compare over the years. For me, I intend this to be a lifelong practice, and I'm not really trying to rush TO anyplace as much as see where this takes me. I can't remember who suggested physical exercises defined around this model, and that's not really what I'm looking at...at least not at this time. I'm really trying to get thoughts down on paper and see if the flow in my head makes as much sense when I try to capture it on paper....it might be a futile exercise at some point...but as I said, I'm still enjoying this and gaining something from it...and the discussions on this thread have given me much to think upon and consider as well..

Also, which may not apply to a lot of folks here, the martial mindest opened up a much different way of thinking for me. I'm not sure if that's just a result of my past experiences, being female, my culture, or what. It is, as you say (grin), what it is.

When I'm in actual physical practice (on my own or in class) I'm not specifically trying to apply these concepts and go 1-2-3-4 down the line. They are certainly in the back of my mind, and the reason they are on "paper" here is because of a culmination of thoughts that have been bumping around in my head for the last year or so. But when I'm in actual practice, I am trying my level best to do what I do in my (also very beginner) meditation practice...simply "be" in the moment. A year ago, I would have HATED some of the simple repetition that I am doing now as part of my work with my new sensei. Now, I find it settles me and that I've started to learn things in spite of myself...I guess that's part of not overthinking it...simply letting my body figure something out and let my brain catch up with it eventually :uhyeah:.

I expect to be a beginner at martial arts for quite some time, and I fully realize there is so much here I don't yet know/understand/get. so...this is just one of several ways for me to figure it out as I go along.

Marcus, I intend to keep working on this model, but I think I'm at a point where I'm going to need to sit and ponder for a bit...I don't want to put something down just to have another revision. I like these definitions better, but the geek in me is not 100% satisifed. LOL...who knew there were MA Geeks?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Actually, Xue, I have absolutely no problem with your post. I also agree to a point (and did I mention I love your sense of humour?:pirate5:).

Right now, this is very much on my mind because I'm enjoying the exercise and continuing to gain from it. I fully intend to do what Celtic Crippler suggested and keep this as an ongoing model I take out time and again and compare over the years. For me, I intend this to be a lifelong practice, and I'm not really trying to rush TO anyplace as much as see where this takes me. I can't remember who suggested physical exercises defined around this model, and that's not really what I'm looking at...at least not at this time. I'm really trying to get thoughts down on paper and see if the flow in my head makes as much sense when I try to capture it on paper....it might be a futile exercise at some point...but as I said, I'm still enjoying this and gaining something from it...and the discussions on this thread have given me much to think upon and consider as well..

Also, which may not apply to a lot of folks here, the martial mindest opened up a much different way of thinking for me. I'm not sure if that's just a result of my past experiences, being female, my culture, or what. It is, as you say (grin), what it is.

When I'm in actual physical practice (on my own or in class) I'm not specifically trying to apply these concepts and go 1-2-3-4 down the line. They are certainly in the back of my mind, and the reason they are on "paper" here is because of a culmination of thoughts that have been bumping around in my head for the last year or so. But when I'm in actual practice, I am trying my level best to do what I do in my (also very beginner) meditation practice...simply "be" in the moment. A year ago, I would have HATED some of the simple repetition that I am doing now as part of my work with my new sensei. Now, I find it settles me and that I've started to learn things in spite of myself...I guess that's part of not overthinking it...simply letting my body figure something out and let my brain catch up with it eventually :uhyeah:.

I expect to be a beginner at martial arts for quite some time, and I fully realize there is so much here I don't yet know/understand/get. so...this is just one of several ways for me to figure it out as I go along.

Marcus, I intend to keep working on this model, but I think I'm at a point where I'm going to need to sit and ponder for a bit...I don't want to put something down just to have another revision. I like these definitions better, but the geek in me is not 100% satisifed. LOL...who knew there were MA Geeks?

Enjoy the training :asian:

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dig the model. There are a couple of things that may need to be addressed. Technique, if techniques is faulty the the rest will not work. Understanding, if you do not not under stand common attacks and the counter attacks that follow the rest will not work. Fitness, if your fitness level is not there then the rest will not work. Mind, if your attitude is not right then the rest will not work. As for flow charts, they just give me a headache.

mwd0818

Green Belt
Reaction score

Greatness doesn't happen overnight. :) Take your time and explore. As Celtic Crippler mentioned, you'll be intrigued how it changes a year from now too.

And I knew there were MA Geeks . . . I train with one every day, but only see him if I check out the mirror. . .

Latest Discussions