Mandatory insurance for firearm owners...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was listening to talk radio as I often do while driving, and a caller had made the claim that "Gun owners should be required to have manditory insurance, in case of an acccidental shooting and someone gets hurt." The logic she presented was that because we are required to have car insurance and homeowners/property insurance due to the risk of someone getting hurt in an accident or on the property.

I of course think this is absurd, and is a slippery slope. We might as well have to have insurance for lawn mowers and every thing else that could hurt someone.

Anyone else think this is a nutty proposition (or a sane one)? If so, how would you argue one point or the other?

Just curious...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to confess to being surprised that it's not already a requirement to have insurance. I have to for when I use my sword, it's one of the primary reasons for being a member of a martial arts affiliaton after all.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Radio call-in shows are radio call-in shows. You can hear just about anything from pearls of lustrous wisdom to the incomprehensible ravings of the barely prehensile. Welcome to the world that exists inside peoples' heads. I've also heard people demand an end to voting rights for women, collectivization of all industry and recognition of the takeover of all human governments by shape changing "reptilians". Actually, that last one was the guest speaker on the show. They must have chosen him for the suave grace with which he wiped the foam from his lips.

It's only when things like that start to affect government policy that you should be worried. Until then, kick back, have a beer and enjoy the human comedy. If you can't be amused by human weirdness you'll plain die of despair.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The actual policy that the caller was supporting isn't going to fly. Tom Foley and Bill Clinton both admitted that the 1994 AWB cost the Democrats control of the government. It's a non-starter for the political animals who run the Parties. And they have bigger fish to fry. You don't need guns as a wedge issue when you have health care, the housing bubble, war, habeas corpus and torture combined with the DNC's strategy of do nothing and hope the GOP steps on it's tallywhacker.

The only national gun control bill I've seen recently was from Alberto Gonzales. He got Frank Lautenberg - how's that for bipartisan cooperation? - to sponsor a bill allowing the Attorney General to ban individuals from owning guns purely on his say-so. We're well rid of that incompetent power-crazed hack for any number of reasons including that one.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Regardless of where it is from or the fact that it won't happen any time soon, I am still curious to hear some arguments for or against such a policy.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Regardless of where it is from or the fact that it won't happen any time soon, I am still curious to hear some arguments for or against such a policy.

Well we have insurance for vehicles because of the number of people who drive without a license and or insurance on a vehicle. So the powers to be passed a law to make it mandatory in our state to have no fault insurance.

In a state that has the entitlement mentality of a Company that owes them a job because their grandfather got a job there and so did their father neither with a HS diploma, so the same today must be true. No matter the equipment required to be used. They all want to go to work and then not do anything but just get paid and have lots of money and lots of toys.

So it should be someone elses problem. Other people should pay the insurance or pay for the cost of what is perceived as a possible problem.

I was recently told about a conversation. This woman said, "Everything in life has a cost associated with it." He replied yes that is the way of life. She replied, "I refuse to live that way." In her little world she does not want to work. She does not take care of herself, she drops off of meds, she took up smoking and eating lots of food to gain weight and drinking gallons of starbucks coffee a day. She thinks that someone else should take care of her. She had a job from a degree, but she was not happy, and just decided to quit. She lost her house. Now has no credit and bad credit.

Even her choices had a cost associated with them.

So while I agree that there is a cost, people should be willing to take responisbility for their choices and decisions and actions.

To have the insurace for all possibilites, leads to not going out of the house. We should make it mandatory to have insurance for when a women tells a man she is on birth control and she is not or it does not work. I mean why would a person not looking for children not want this to happen. I mean taking responsibility for ones actions including sleeping with others is something that is foreign in today's culture.

I hopefully have not offended too many here. It as not my intent. Even before I owned a gun a year ago, I still had the same feelings and opinions.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was listening to talk radio as I often do while driving, and a caller had made the claim that "Gun owners should be required to have manditory insurance, in case of an acccidental shooting and someone gets hurt." The logic she presented was that because we are required to have car insurance and homeowners/property insurance due to the risk of someone getting hurt in an accident or on the property.

I of course think this is absurd, and is a slippery slope. We might as well have to have insurance for lawn mowers and every thing else that could hurt someone.

Anyone else think this is a nutty proposition (or a sane one)? If so, how would you argue one point or the other?

Just curious...

I don't think it's that nutty of a requirement. After all, we already require car insurance, various sorts of employment insurance, and I'm sure you'd expect that a contractor you hire is insured appropriately.

The only question is just what such insurance might cover.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In an ideal world there would be affordable shooting insurance riders on homeowners' and umbrella policies. There would also be a fair, affordable, objective, reasonable licensing test for carrying. But we don't live in an ideal or even a reasonable world, so I'm not in favor of national CCW laws or testing and licensing for ownership. It would be too easy for California to walk all over South Carolina or Texas to override Connecticut.

If you want to carry in public open or concealed you should have a minimum amount of training in safe firearms handling and the law concerning self defense. Oregon's law is pretty good that way. It's your right to own, but carrying in a public place in a manner which allows the weapon to be deployed quickly puts you in a position of increased responsibility. I'd even sit still for insurance requirements for CCW holders if it met the standards in the first paragraph.You can own a car without insurance and drive it as much as you want on private property. When you're driving on the public streets you are a potential hazard to life and property. If you want to exercise your First Amendment rights as a group you may need to get a parade permit and insurance. There's no reason in theory why the same shouldn't hold true for the Second.

But again, the odds of it being applied in a fair, equitable, politically neutral manner are slim. So I'll oppose any such efforts.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In an ideal world there would be affordable shooting insurance riders on homeowners' and umbrella policies. There would also be a fair, affordable, objective, reasonable licensing test for carrying. But we don't live in an ideal or even a reasonable world, so I'm not in favor of national CCW laws or testing and licensing for ownership. It would be too easy for California to walk all over South Carolina or Texas to override Connecticut.

If you want to carry in public open or concealed you should have a minimum amount of training in safe firearms handling and the law concerning self defense. Oregon's law is pretty good that way. It's your right to own, but carrying in a public place in a manner which allows the weapon to be deployed quickly puts you in a position of increased responsibility. I'd even sit still for insurance requirements for CCW holders if it met the standards in the first paragraph.You can own a car without insurance and drive it as much as you want on private property. When you're driving on the public streets you are a potential hazard to life and property. If you want to exercise your First Amendment rights as a group you may need to get a parade permit and insurance. There's no reason in theory why the same shouldn't hold true for the Second.

But again, the odds of it being applied in a fair, equitable, politically neutral manner are slim. So I'll oppose any such efforts.
I'm pretty much in agreement.

For a long time, I've felt that at least a one-time firearms familiarization certificate (focused heavily on safety and the Cardinal Principles) should be required either before you purchase a gun or before you can purchase ammo. I'm not talking any real shooting; I'm talking a few hours maximum on safety. Where to keep the gun, how to secure it, what to do should it ever come up missing, how to get rid of it later... that sort of thing.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well my take on this is; owning a vehicle is a right for someone over the age of 18, driving a vehicle is a privilege granted by the State. Thats why the license. In order to maintain that privilege the State can and does create certain actions that must be upheld, I.e. insurance. Bearing arms is a right granted by the Constitution of the United States of America. Bearing arms is not a privilege it is a right and that right "shall not be infringed".

Danny T

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is certainly a right. And it can be an important one. But there's a long, long history of case law saying that such rights are not absolute. The time and manner may be restricted. No matter how devoutly you believe in Offler the Crocodile God you can't sacrifice your neighbor to Him. If you want to gather a couple thousand close friends to get petition the mayor for a redress of grievances you'll need a parade permit to walk down the street as a group to do so.

The possible restrictions I mentioned on the Second are in line with the above. They might not be perfect, but they're up to the same standard we apply to other rights.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty much in agreement.

For a long time, I've felt that at least a one-time firearms familiarization certificate (focused heavily on safety and the Cardinal Principles) should be required either before you purchase a gun or before you can purchase ammo. I'm not talking any real shooting; I'm talking a few hours maximum on safety. Where to keep the gun, how to secure it, what to do should it ever come up missing, how to get rid of it later... that sort of thing.

I think the CCW requirements cover that for carry, and that's fine. I am not in favor of that for purchase, however. For purchase, at least in our state, you read a number of bullet points that detail the responsibilities you incur with purchasing and owning a gun, and have to initial each point, then sign that you understood your responsibilities. THat is as far as that needs to go, as far as I am concerned. People are told their responsibilities, and it is their job to abide by them. For the most part, they do.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well my take on this is; owning a vehicle is a right for someone over the age of 18, driving a vehicle is a privilege granted by the State. Thats why the license. In order to maintain that privilege the State can and does create certain actions that must be upheld, I.e. insurance. Bearing arms is a right granted by the Constitution of the United States of America. Bearing arms is not a privilege it is a right and that right "shall not be infringed".

Danny T

That is a pretty good way of looking at it, too.

Another point was made earlier about "poor people not being enabled to defend themselves." That is valid, in that manditory insurance requirements would make owning firearms more expensive, making the "right" of self-defense" and the "right" to bear arms only available to those who could afford the yearly insurance expense.

This does bring up, too, the question of insurance requirements in general. For the most part, I don't feel the state should have the right to require insurance for anyone. I feel that is almost an infringement on civil liberties. It should be someones choice as to whether they want to ensure property they own, whether it be a home, vehicle, or whatever. Of course, when a bank is part owner in the case of home or car loans, they can require full coverage as a condition of the loan.

So given my feeling on insurance in general, gun insurance sounds even more absurd to me.

That said, as some of you will mention, I realize that there are those with entitlement mentalities who won't insure themselves, and who won't take responsibility for their actions if something happened. But, that occurs anyway, particularly with auto insurance. These people end up paying the price through the court system regardless. So an insurance law does nothing to help or hurt this situation, as far as I see it.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
For purchase, at least in our state, you read a number of bullet points that detail the responsibilities you incur with purchasing and owning a gun, and have to initial each point, then sign that you understood your responsibilities.

You have to love the way the State has eased up over the past years. I remember when it was much. much more difficult to get a handgun there. Now you can get a CCW without having to be related to the Governor. :) I can't wait to get back next Summer.

As for insurance for firearms owners. Give me a break! Just more rantings of the fringe who would make it impossible for people who you would WANT to own firearms.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to love the way the State has eased up over the past years. I remember when it was much. much more difficult to get a handgun there. Now you can get a CCW without having to be related to the Governor. :) I can't wait to get back next Summer.

Yup. Thank our attorney General too (Mike Cox). He has done a great job with making things easier.

Some counties still suck though, so when you move back, be sure not to live in Wayne, where it'll take you 4-6 months. Oakland takes about 3-4 weeks! :)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yup. Thank our attorney General too (Mike Cox). He has done a great job with making things easier.

Some counties still suck though, so when you move back, be sure not to live in Wayne, where it'll take you 4-6 months. Oakland takes about 3-4 weeks! :)

Nope. Headed for Mason County. There has been a Gordon presence in Mason County for the last 140 -150 years, and I intend to keep that streak going. I miss Scottville!! And the Sheriff is a heck of a good guy along with the Chief in Scottville.

Latest Discussions