Man says he was taunted while tasered

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/090529_taser_taunting

"They were taunting, telling me how do I like this and say please. ... Right at the moment while they saying it, i'm still being tasered," said Cooks.

It's difficult to hear all the exchanges. "I reviewed the incident. From everything I've seen and read, it was clearly within our... use of force policy," Duffany said.

When you watch the video, the drunk male is released from his cuffs to go to the bathroom. Apparently he starts urinating on the floor and raises his hands as if to strike officers at which point he is tasered and subdued.

So far so good. It looks like a very justified use of the tool...

The mans apparent issue isn't that he was tasered, in the video he doesn't even complain about unlawful use of force. His issue is that the cops allegedly were taunting him as he was getting zapped.

My opinion is that if the cops were saying those things "so what?"...now don't get me wrong, if they were indeed taunting the man it is unprofessional and as a supervisor I would discipline them in some manner. But the bottom line is if the force used was justified. What the cops were saying and what they did are two very different issues.

It seems like everybody wants to look for SOME way to turn their stupid actions back around on the cops. I loose count of how many petty complaints I have fielded from indignant people who simply received traffic tickets;

"The officer FOLLOWED me for almost a mile before turning on his lights...thats STALKING."

"The officer shined a flashlight into my car...thats an illegal search."

"The officer told me I could have been ARRETSED..thats verbal abuse!!"

I kid you not.

Like I said..if these cops did indeed say something like "how do you like THAT!?!?"...I would probably verbally discipline them or maybe write them a low level discipline letter for their record, but its looking like a man who received exactly the right amount of force is looking for some way to shift the blame here.

Opinions?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
("Cooks says he learned a painful lesson tangling with the taser. "The lesson for me is comply. ... Don't talk no matter what. Just whatever they ask for, do what they say because it's a bad experience," he said.)
Now here is a novel idea, do what your told, while in custody.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're gonna be dumb you gotta tough......;)

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

When you get knocked down you gotta get back up,
I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer but I know enough, to know,
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

I lit my brain with Rot-Gut whiskey
'Till all my pain was chicken fried
And I had dudes with badges frisk me
Teach me how to swallow pride

I took advice no fool would take
I got some habits I can't shake
I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know enough to know
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

When you get knocked down, you gotta get back up
That's the way it is in life and love

I've been up and down and down and out
I've been left and right and wrong
Well I've walked the walk and I've run my mouth
I've been on the short end for too long

But if they gave medals for honky tonk wars
Hell, I'd keep mine in my chest of drawers
With my IRS bills and divorce papers and all that stuff

When you get knocked down, you gotta get back up
I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know enough to know

If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=12430

And that says it all........"The lesson for me is comply. ... Don't talk no matter what. Just whatever they ask for, do what they say because it's a bad experience,"........he's dumb, but he CAN learn what most people just take for granted.....like don't raise your fist at police.....and basic POTTY TRAINING!

I love this part....'My hand was up.......my hand was up, but then I thought about where I was, and I relaxed'......you do mean your FIST was raised.......at which point the TASER hit you, right genius?

Latest Discussions