Oklahoma Cops Scrutinized For Arrest

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Link

OKLAHOMA CITY — Surveillance video is at the center of an inquiry about the tactics used by officers in the arrest of a man who had claimed he was “with the CIA” even as he attempted to sneak past a security checkpoint at Will Rogers World Airport.
During the incident, which reportedly took place on February 20th, James Heidebrecht can be heard saying “I give up” even as he refuses to comply with officer’s repeated commands to put his hands behind his back. The non-complaint Heidebrecht was TASERed “multiple times” but continued to refuse to place his hands behind his back.
Heidebrecht was eventually brought under control and handcuffed.
What has spurred some controversy with the public, however, is the way in which Heidebrecht is brought to a holding area.
He was dragged, face down, by his feet.
“What we have seen on the video caused us some concern,” said Captain Dexter Nelson with the Oklahoma City Police Department in a report by a local television station. “That’s why we launched the investigation.”
The charges against Heidebrecht — trespassing, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest — were dismissed. One of the officers involved in the incident has been placed on restrictive duty, according to reports.

I can certainly justify the use of the Taser. I know some may disagree, saying how can you resist when you're cuffed, but of course, we all (or should) know, that you can still resist. Whats under scrutiny is the dragging of the guy across the floor. IMO, even if the guy wasn't going to willingly walk, I think it'd have looked better if they were holding him up by his arms, with his feet dragging, vs. his body.

Thoughts?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
He wasnt complying.
He could have had a Weapon, or a not-yet-armed Explosive Device.
He could have been attempting to sabotage something.

I do not see how Tazering Him is objectionable.
I can provide Videos of Objectionable Tazering, and Theyre way more malicious than that.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, however, the main issue seems to be the way they dragged him out.

Latest Discussions