Malaysian Airline Tradedy - 298 Dead.

MattofSilat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
One thing to ask. Why did the rebels do this?

It was stated by an aviator that at a distance of above 32,000 feet in the air, most typical surface-to-air missiles can't reach you. Therefore, that should be a safe zone. However, they were shot down when flying at 35,000 feet, meaning it had to be an advanced missile that did it. It also must have been pre-meditated, or atleast approved by higher ups, as you wouldn't obtain/be allowed to fire the missile easily.

Additionally, it was civilian and wasn't even a Ukrainian airline! The first thing that they would've done was check that there was no target on the plane which is the reason that it was shot down, and no news of this is heard, so it can be assumed that there was no specific target. Yet they shot it down. I'm sure there were military-minded Ukrainian airlines that could've been shot down, but they went for a solely civilian neutral aircraft. What logic in war does that make? I understand these rebels clearly think they can do anything without consequence, but surely they aren't all this naive!

Then Putin comes out and says 'It's their fault for escalating this conflict'. So it's their fault that a neutral airline which had nothing to do with this war was shot down. Yeah. OK. So Putin's defending the group that just murdered 298 civilians, including ~100 children. Aren't we due another Russian revolution some time about now? All people need is a leader which is happy with the state the world is in now, which seems to be almost every else in the world with a democracy. If there's conflict, it's short lived and entirely internal. A Civil War. They just crossed the line, and by a pretty giant amount.

But what sense does it make? All they seemed to gain was to piss off all the people that could kick their asses when it came down to it. Namely, America. I'd be interested to see what China has to say about it to be honest. Surely if America threatened to get involved, Putin would back down. I mean, MAD (A protocol during the Cold War, Mutually Assured Destruction, to do with Nukes. Basically, if you nuke me, then I nuke you, we're going down together.)

Thoughts are with the families of those lost, I don't know what sort of people would do something so horrible. I hope that justice is served, and those lost will go to a better place.

EDIT: Also, surely the UN has something to say about seemingly randomly killing almost 300 neutral civilians. For those saying 'Other airlines don't fly over there, it's the airlines fault'. Firstly, I don't know how on earth the airline is solely responsible, because the point was: Why would they use such a high-tech missile to take down a neutral civilian aircraft? It cannot be fired by just any old rebel. Also, there are so many warzones in the world, it would take a lot longer and be a lot more expensive to zig-zag through it all.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it was a SA-7 launch platform, probably from a Kub, but not on post 45 stuff. A C5 reaches 35.7, the operators must have known that cargo traffic would not be at that ceiling. They would pretty much know that the bird must have been commercial or foreign cargo traffic. That is if they had been operators. In which case I think it is logical to assume that rebels were the cause. I think that it was a tragic and ill advised move from someone in the Play Station age. I too hope they gone beyond the rim in peace!

Latest Discussions