making a home gym

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Anyone have a home gym? I'm moving into a new house and will be using a single car garage as a home gym. It's your typical cold cement flooring right now. Can someone give me pointers on what type of flooring I should install? Initially I was looking at just those puzzle mats but I don't think I'd be able to shift/pivot on those very well doing some of the moves. I'll have a wall mounted punching bag, hopefully soon a wooden dummy and then some workout equipment (bowflex) and pull-up bar (ceiling mounted).

Thanks for any suggestions!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You lucky dog. I'm still training outside, either in a park or on my crowded back porch. My dummy doesn't like it out there either.

Anyway, as far as flooring, I'm good with "cold cement" for normal WC practice. Some matts for throws and groundwork wold be nice. As it is, I look for a place with thick grass.

OP
D

dan.h

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I'm pretty stoked to finally have the chance of a home gym. I'm looking for some type of flooring but just think carpet or puzzle mats may not be the best for the tons of shifting/pivoting we do in wing chun. I could be way off there though as I've never practiced on that type of flooring before.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For the flooring, you could go to a carpet store and see if they can sell you some scrap carpet cheap, large enough to cover the floor; not shag or anything that will catch your feet as you slide and pivot.

I have such carpet in my basement and have never had a problem with it. It feels better than the cold concrete IMO.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Puzzle mats are fine, I use them in my home gym. Its has a wooden floor and the mats sit on top. If you find you are having issues then do half and half. The concrete part for you swivelling and the mats for your impact work.
They dont cost much so sling them if it doesnt work. Mine are fine though.

Latest Discussions