Machado Jujitsu/H.S./Collegiate wrstlng

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
My son is a former kenpoist(adv.blue), and for the last few years a preety good wrestler. My question is. Would Brazillian style jujitsu be a help to his wrestling? I believe there is a Machado student in the general area of our home, and he trains people. Are there any current/former h.s./collegiate wrestlers here, who have also tried to incorporate jujitsu onto the mat? I wonder if it would be more detremental than helpful to his training? Any help offered would be enormously appreciated.

Salute in Christ,
Donald:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a H.S. wrestler, did some judo, and now do BJJ. Wrestling and BJJ make a nice combination. From all I've heard and seen, wrestling has the better takedowns but BJJ dominates on the ground since wrestling goes for a pin that you couldn't necessarily hold a person in or at least defeat a person from.

In my opinion, there is reason to be concerned that adding BJJ would detract from success at wrestling because of the different rules. In BJJ you don't mind so much being on your back in the guard--in wrestling, you'd lose if you got in this position. The combination makes for a well-rounded grappler but so many of the BJJ techniques are illegal or inappropriate in collegiate wrestling that I wouldn't add it to help with sport success.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with arnisador. IMO, the only thing that it might help with is the controlling--keeping the other person down. As for the wrestling, there are no submissions like in BJJ, so its not going to help you there.

If anything, I'd try to find another person in your area that is a wrestler that might be able to help!

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, another wrestler who had/has a different coach--someone with a different style/approach.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BJJ is a great complement to wrestling.

Wrestling teaches takedowns and ground control. BJJ teaches you what to do when you've got control and how to counter it. Great complements.

C

chaosomega

In other words, it WON'T help his wrestling game. It WILL help in fighting on the ground in general. With a base in Kempo and Wrestling, adding a little BJJ would make him a excellent candidate to become a mixed martial artist too....