Next MA Superstar

R

RCastillo

Are there any more out there? Chuck Norris is heading toward 64, Van Damme's movies go straight to video, Chan is ok to watch, but not serious, and very few here like Segal.

Is the "Matrix" type movie the only thing left for those of us who watched Norris, Lee, and the rest of these "tough guys?"

Wesley Snipes comes to mind, but I don't know how many here like him. I like his work!

That concerns me.:(

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know of anyone "up and coming"
When i need a martial arts fix, i still watch "enter the dragon" or the end of "game of death"!

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know...but we need more 'entertaining' reality in movies. Stuff that COULD be real, but with cool directing effects to make it entertaining. So kill the 'wire-fu,' the running up walls, and other ridicules stunts. Let's keep it real...but keep it cool.

I liked, for instance, the directing effects in the fight scenes in "Brotherhood of the Wolf," although there were still some unrealistic stunts. I liked the Borne Identity fight scenes, althought I feel there could still be some room for improvement.

So...the next star....? Don't know, but I'd bet that the next star to take a more realistic approach to fighting in a good movie with a strong plot and effects will have a very good career.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like Jet Li's work, however, it too uses a few too many wires for me. The best one out there not using wires is Jackie Chan, but he's reaching 50 something as well.
Speaking of Brotherhood of the Wolf, and Jet Li's newest, Cradle 2 the Grave, both have in common Mark Decoscos, a very talented martial artists, I would like to see more of. His parents were kung fu champions as was he at an early age. His movies have been pretty sucky, but he has talent.

7sm

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Speakmans never used wire:shrug: :D Sorry, sorry leaving now. But seriously, I think that Li has some good non wire potential, look at "Fist of Legend" or "Kiss of the Dragon". But we need new situations, new ideas, and "realistic" fighting to really propel the genre again IMO. I enjoyed the Bourne Idenity's fight scenes, they were decent and were "real". So who out there is an MAist first and what director will allow them to show what the have? Okay I'm rambling...

OP
P

pknox

Originally posted by RCastillo
Is the "Matrix" type movie the only thing left for those of us who watched Norris, Lee, and the rest of these "tough guys?"

Good point. I don't thing anyone has come along to carry the "martial arts hero" mantle yet. There is always Jackie Chan, but he seems to be doing more plot and less action in his most recent work. As for what to watch, we always have the Rock - I like him better than the Matrix-type stuff. :D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spaeking of the Rock, don't forget Ernie Reye's Jr. I don't know why he hasn't done more "good" movies, but he deffinatly has the talent to be a huge martial arts star. In the MA community he is allready known as one of the best. I guess its hard to bring MA talent to the screen and display it for the general public to see in a manner that is entertaining to them and still impressive to us.

7sm

OP
K

Kroy

What about the guy in the movie 'The Transporter' I cant remember his name but I was quite impressed with his martial arts.

OP
K

Kroy

Jason Strathom is his name (I knew it would come to me)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Up and coming? I think it depends upon where/what the Hollywood studios want really. They're the ones that largely decide if this MA-ist is going to be a *S*T*A*R*!* Then of course the audiences (us) help fuel the fire with our blockbuster ticket sales.

CeiCei and I watched a few months ago a locally made MA movie called "The Collectors" The "star" of the film was very good and handled the fight chorography <sic> very well. He looks good and plays a good role. He has potential... if he's ever discovered. A pox upon me for not remembering his name though... :shrug:

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I really like Mark Dacascos, Jeff Speakman and Ernie Reyes Jr, but most of their stuff goes to video.

I thought Bryan Genesse was very talented on the show "Street Justice" back in the 90's but his career never took off.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kroy
Jason Strathom is his name (I knew it would come to me)

I think this guy would be great too. He's done quite a few movies and even starred in one (Transporter) that made a good run in the theaters and pulled a few of my hard earned dollars out of my wallet when I rented it. He could be great. I don't know if he has a heavy MA or "tough guy" background, but he's got talent and charisma, for a Brit. ;)

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
I think this guy would be great too. He's done quite a few movies and even starred in one (Transporter) that made a good run in the theaters and pulled a few of my hard earned dollars out of my wallet when I rented it. He could be great. I don't know if he has a heavy MA or "tough guy" background, but he's got talent and charisma, for a Brit. ;)

Here's all I could dig up on him. Bio from MSN entertainment.
"A one-time Olympic diver, fashion model, and black-market salesman, Statham came to acting by way of commercials and "street theater" -- a euphemism for hustling tourists on London's Oxford Street. Raised in Syndenham, London, he was the second son of a lounge singer and a dressmaker turned dancer. Although Statham had the familial background to go immediately into entertainment, he excelled first on the high dive. He was a member of the 1988 British Olympic Team in Seoul, Korea, and remained on the National Diving Squad for ten years. In the late '90s, a talent agent specializing in athletes landed Statham a gig in an ad campaign for the European clothing retailer French Connection. This led to an appearance in a Levi's Jeans commercial and a fledgling modeling career. Meanwhile, Statham had also earned local fame as a street corner con man, selling stolen jewelry and counterfeit perfume out of a briefcase. Thus, when French Connection's owner became one of the biggest investors in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, he naturally introduced the diver/model/hustler to knave-hunting Ritchie."

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jason Statham without a doubt. His role in the Transporter showed off his fighting chops, and his stints in Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch demonstrated his acting ability. He's got a good, gritty feel to him, sorta like a british Robert Mitchum or Clint Eastwood.

OP
A

Andi

Did you not think Statham's accent in the One was unbelievably bad? But I'm not gonna dismiss an actor on the basis of one dodgy accent...Dick Van Dyke rules. Can't find any info on what Statham has studied MA wise though. Anybody know? Would never have picked him as an olympic diver.

PS Is this the right forum?

OP
F

FiveSwords

I'm voting for Uma Thurman.

Those sword fights in Kill Bill were too hot.

:D

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by FiveSwords
I'm voting for Uma Thurman.

Those sword fights in Kill Bill were too hot.

:D

Yeah, but sometimes when I see her spindly limbs move, like when see is running, I just can't help but think of an epileptic monkey. I think she could play elegant or graceful better than hard action star any day. If you want female hard action stars what about Linda Hamilton in T2 or Vasquez in Aliens.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you not think Statham's accent in the One was unbelievably bad?

Heh heh, honestly, I'm a fairly well-traveled guy, but I can't distinguish one local british accent from another--just like you guys might not be able distinguish a Philly accent from a Bostonian. So I guess you could say I wouldn't know. :) I saw The One but I don't recall his accent being much of one thing or another. Mostly I'm thinking of the way the guy projects--he's charismatic and increases my interest in the characters he plays.

Latest Discussions