MA Teachers who teach kids... Question.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK so here is my situation.
I have never taught nor have no desire to teach anyone under the age of 16. I have had exactly 4 of those. Almost everyone I train has been 18 or older.

Now my question.
My son will turn 3 soon.
He sees me in my private sessions, and my personal training time. He is mimicking already.
So, this question is for those who teach MA to kids.

What age is appropriate to teach a modified for kids Karate curriculum, frankly, this is something I have no experience with. Also, what books or instructor materials would you recommend?

I am not looking at taking on a bunch a kids, just my son. And maybe a second kid when kumite becomes an option.
For the record, he is 49 inches in height, and 52 lbs.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to say... I hope those measurements are for the second kid that you mentioned. 49 inches and 52 lbs for your almost 3 year old... I would have to ask what you're feeding him.

While I am not an instructor myself, I have assisted with kids classes. It entirely depends on the child. If they have the attention span and willingness to learn, then they're golden. I've seen 4 year olds ready and 6 year olds not ready. At this point they should really be engaged with games and/or activities that teach them skills which will later translate well into their martial arts studies. Most kids are not ready to learn the finer points of "technique" at this point. That doesn't come until years later.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
While I am not an instructor myself, I have assisted with kids classes. It entirely depends on the child. If they have the attention span and willingness to learn, then they're golden. I've seen 4 year olds ready and 6 year olds not ready. At this point they should really be engaged with games and/or activities that teach them skills which will later translate well into their martial arts studies. Most kids are not ready to learn the finer points of "technique" at this point. That doesn't come until years later

Agreed. I too am not an Instructor but frequently help with our kids' classes and - while we start them at 4 years old at the earliest - it really does depend on the kid. Listening, able to follow and pay attention is key - we make it fun but they work hard and we help them set goals while they learn so they understand why we say 'when you earn your belt' and know it's more than just playtime..

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to say... I hope those measurements are for the second kid that you mentioned. 49 inches and 52 lbs for your almost 3 year old... I would have to ask what you're feeding him.

While I am not an instructor myself, I have assisted with kids classes. It entirely depends on the child. If they have the attention span and willingness to learn, then they're golden. I've seen 4 year olds ready and 6 year olds not ready. At this point they should really be engaged with games and/or activities that teach them skills which will later translate well into their martial arts studies. Most kids are not ready to learn the finer points of "technique" at this point. That doesn't come until years later.

Mom is tall, and I am 6'4"... Good genes for high kicks.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Make it play, make fun. Short, fast paced fun and exciting attribute developing play. Make certain he see you having fun with him as well.
Will do, Hoss.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My old formula was if they know left and right then they're ready for class. Then again, that class was not "modified" like I think you mean.

My own son is also three, and I'll probably start him soon with an instructor I work with who is amazing with kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll probably start him soon with an instructor I work with who is amazing with kids.

I think it's always a good idea to have another instructor teach your children whatever the sport, pastime etc. I teach children but I didn't teach my own, they went to other instructors. In a class situation it's not ideal to have your own children there and in a personal situation I think you need a space between you, too many emotions and expectations are there such as thinking because a child is tall they will be a good kicker, there's one expectation right there, another is that they are going to be actually interested in what the parent wants them to be. I would wait until the child expresses an interest and willingness to learn otherwise they may just be humouring you and not actually enjoying training.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
After the age of 8 I sent my boys to other instructors as well but prior to and even more so afterwards I made certain my interest in them learning the martial arts took a backseat to them having a good time. No matter what it is if it is enjoyable for the child they will do it, learn it, share it. But it has to be fun for them.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After the age of 8 I sent my boys to other instructors as well but prior to and even more so afterwards I made certain my interest in them learning the martial arts took a backseat to them having a good time. No matter what it is if it is enjoyable for the child they will do it, learn it, share it. But it has to be fun for them.

Well, he has already watched me and others having fun. And his trying to emulate what we do tells me a lot already. I have been trying to ascertain the right age.

A notion that I have had for a long while is to bring another kid my son's age, onboard... And have lots of fun teaching and practicing with "the rival".

Until, my son actually asks, not even approach him with it.
Letting him be the first to ask.

And initially let him down gently with something along the lines of:

" no son, martial art is for those who are committed, and want to really learn, come back in a week, and we will see if you are serious about learning".

I am sure the narrative "I never wanted this, this is what YOU wanted Dad" is a fairly common one. Be it sports like football or baseball, or anything else.

I understand my son may very well never develop an interest in my passion. So, attraction by fun, and or reverse psychology...

Or....hiring Leonardo DiCaprio take a highly talented team deep inside someone's mind to plant an idea, but make that person think it was there own... Oh wait... Reverse Psychology on a kid.. No need for Leonardo and Co.

But yeah, I get the whole attract but don't push.
Which is one of the reasons I haven't ever accepted kids as students. Mom and Dad are pretty often pushing the kid into it.

And that kind of student isn't going to thrive or hunger for excellence.

It should never be "I have to go", but instead "Yes! I get to go"

I do like what I have seen of Gracie's Bullyproof program

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn't apply here but one of the things I get fed up with is parents bringing their children to the club and telling me that we need to teach their children 'discipline, another thing is parents telling me their child is 'hyperactive'. It's frustrating as an instructor to have parents like this, when you look at the 'hyperactive' kids all you see is normal, energetic children whose parents won't take them out to play ball etc. As for teaching 'discipline', well that's the parent's job, we can help but we can't bring up the kids for them.

I wouldn't tell a child though that martial arts is for those who are committed etc simply because when they are young children should try as many activities as they can, if they enjoy training ( anything) they won't need to be told it's about commitment etc, they'll know but at first just let them try, if they give up after a few weeks, that's fine, there'll be something else they will like doing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have read you would be better off if you have someone else teach him, because kids don't listen to their parents. If you train him with just one kid, he will learn to beat that kid, and that kid only. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This doesn't apply here but one of the things I get fed up with is parents bringing their children to the club and telling me that we need to teach their children 'discipline, another thing is parents telling me their child is 'hyperactive'. It's frustrating as an instructor to have parents like this, when you look at the 'hyperactive' kids all you see is normal, energetic children whose parents won't take them out to play ball etc. As for teaching 'discipline', well that's the parent's job, we can help but we can't bring up the kids for them.
These are the same parents that call the police because the kids won't go to school or go to bed or even once I was called because a 8 year old wouldn't brush her teeth.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the same parents that call the police because the kids won't go to school or go to bed or even once I was called because a 8 year old wouldn't brush her teeth.

Did you taze her?

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have read you would be better off if you have someone else teach him, because kids don't listen to their parents. If you train him with just one kid, he will learn to beat that kid, and that kid only. :)
Interesting

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whether or not to teach your own child is a matter of personality and temperament for both child and adult. I wont teach my own boys until they are around 10. Until then I would bring them to someone else to "have fun". However I have played ninja turtles with my 5yo. That lasts about 15 minutes then he's on to something else. Professionally speaking I usually don't take children under 6. It just never seems to work for me. My own temperament I guess.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whether or not to teach your own child is a matter of personality and temperament for both child and adult. I wont teach my own boys until they are around 10. Until then I would bring them to someone else to "have fun". However I have played ninja turtles with my 5yo. That lasts about 15 minutes then he's on to something else. Professionally speaking I usually don't take children under 6. It just never seems to work for me. My own temperament I guess.
If you embraced the daycare thing, you would. I lived at a daycare for a bit, and there is an art to it. Again, its about your temperament, and, in this case, training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I teach children from seven martial arts, I also am a Guide leader taking Rainbows aged 5-7, Brownies aged 7-10, Guides 10-14 and Rangers/Young Leaders 14+, previously I've been a Scout Leader taking the same age range, also been a youth worker as well as my normal job. You have to like children to want to work with them, they can be enormous fun and hugely rewarding. I love kids far more than I even like parents. Both the martial arts and the Guiding are unpaid 'volunteer jobs' yet many parents seem to think you are some kind of servant, we've had parents demand we change the Rainbow night because their child wants to come back can't make the day we are on, we asked for parent volunteers to help and been told that's not what they pay their subs for, a whole £2 a week which goes for rent, insurance, crafts etc. At the beginning of August I was on camp with the Brownies, we were supposed to have 18, paid for that number, bought food, craft materials etc. Parents asked if they could pay at end of July, pay day, we said yes of course, on the morning of camp two parents said the girls weren't coming, one didn't say just didn't turn up. We ended up out of pocket having used our own money to cover the costs. Martial arts parents have demanded their child gets belts they haven't earned ( had that in Scouts only it's badges). One common theme running through all these organisations is the parent who thinks we are cheap baby sitters, they bring the child twenty minutes before the session and picks them up twenty to half an hour late. They know in all these cases we won't go off and leave the child standing outside.
Yes I know this is a rant, sorry but perhaps someone, somewhere will read this and think 'I will not be that parent' lol.:)

Three is too young to learn martial martials, I'd wait until about sevenish to actually teach but at three there's plenty of games to be played that are martial arts orientated. The main thing is not the teaching of techniques etc, it's the understanding of when you should use them. Teachers tend to get a bit miffed at four year olds drop kicking others in the playground. :D

Latest Discussions