teaching your own kids

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ive a two year old son who i would love to start teachin but dont know where to start and at that age if he is to young to even teach, any suggestions and tips would be great as he is quite a bit smaller than most kids his age and i guess i just get worried he is being bullied at daycare

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We didn't start teaching our child martial arts until age 5 and even then I waited until she approached us about it. If not careful, it's easy, in our great enthusiasm, to drive our kids away from what we love so much! I have seen it happen with other martial arts instructors with their children. I make it a point not to push my daughter into it but to give her enough space so she really wants to do it.
I think she is still too young to actually apply a lot of what we teach but we are planting the seeds by having her practice the basics and also have fun.
Personally, I think age 2 is a bit young. We start kids in my school at age 4 and even then some are not ready.
Age 2 - 3 is not too young to start promoting good exercise habits through playing, jumping, etc...developing healthy motor skills and a healthy body.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree totally with Stickarts on this one! I have a 5 year old that has just started showing an interest, so he may start early next year. The reason behind that decision is due to the fact that while ready physically (he is a big tall kid) he isn't really ready maturity wise. Our dojo usually waits until a child is 4 or 5 before they take them on for training.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm on the other end all three of my son's started when they where two, we started teavhing them front snap kicks and basyx blocks/ we also started teaching stances to them. I guess sinceI owned the schol they where around ans just started to pivk things up. Now we do not take childern under the age of 4. That is a decission e made our kids where different

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We didn't start teaching our child martial arts until age 5 and even then I waited until she approached us about it. If not careful, it's easy, in our great enthusiasm, to drive our kids away from what we love so much!

That sounds right to me...

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm of the mind that 7 is an ideal age to start...
My Sensei doesn't believe in adolescent black belts, so if my son would start when he turns 7 he wouldn't get his black belt until age 18...I think that that makes good common sense...

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both of my children started learning basics at home when they were around 2. Since they were around the school so much, they picked things up and I would add a little at home. They didn't start taking classes until they were 3. By then they had their horse stance down, the blocks, a front kick, and a hand full of hand strikes.

When my son started taking classes, he joined in with the 5 year olds. He was able to keep up with their ability to remember techniues but was not able to participate in games and drills that had one child compete against another. That really frustrated him. But he kept trying.

My classes are now split up with a class for 4 and 5 year olds, 6 to 12 year olds, and 13 to adult. My daughter started with the 4 and 5 year olds when she was three. Her instinct for blocking is better than some of the older children. It really depends on the child. Mine just happen to be sponges so it worked out well for us.

Personally, I don't believe in adolescent black belts either. I haven't gotten to a point where any of the children are ready yet but I am planning on promoting them to a jr. black belt. (Black belt with the white stripe running through it) I don't see any of them getting to that point until they are at least 12 or 13 years old. After that, I will just have to wait and see how well they can handle themselves in the adult classes before I think that they are ready for a 1st Dan.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many have had great success starting kids in the 5-7 range. The youngest that I have had any success was one at age 4. Most don't know what you are trying to teach or they can't pay close enough attention. It has to be based off of the individual child and not off of a number.

What to teach is the easy part. Start the child on basics and drill those a bunch. Once your child has down the basics you should start them on a form or some basic self-defense. You could never drill them enough on the basics. That will get you started.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All good feedback!
One additional comment.
Working privately with students younger than age 4 may work better than trying to instruct them with a group of older kids.
I play with my 2 year old daughter. we do some punches and kicks, etc...
But again, that is privately and its tough keeping her focus for more than 5 - 10 minutes.
My 2 year old would never make it in a 1/2 hour group class and would only disrupt the group.
In our group classes, we once did have a 3 year old that was able to do it but he was by far the exception.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mostly, I am in agreement with the comments by others here. For the past 28 years, I typically start children at age 5 with four-year olds being the exception if they demonstrate an awareness of most five-year olds, or older.

My twin boys are 8 years old, and my youngest is three. I started my twins at age four, but they did not promote until they were 7. It will vary for each individual. I do not want to push my own children in the learning or promoting process, but I started them when I said they were ready, and I will require them to train regularly until they are eighteen.

Children are never too young to learn, thus we can teach them anything in an informal setting. Under four is usually too early for a structured class of any significant length. My boys watched me train at home from the time they were born. My twins were just walking at 9 months when one of them set his milk bottle on a railing at his head level, and kicked it off with a perfectly executed roundhouse kick. I never "taught" it to him, but he must have picked it up by watching me do forms.

i just get worried he is being bullied at daycare

This comment worries me though. I believe that children under 5 should not be expected to have good enough skills to defend themselves, even against other kids their age, nor the proper judgment to use it appropriately. If you are concerned about a two year old being bullied in daycare, then there either needs to be better constant adult supervision, or take your child to a different daycare facility.

My personal opinion is that I would never leave my child in the care of others (Close relatives as an occasional exception). I would rather quit my job, and raise my own children than to leave them with someone I do not trust to protect them from bullies, weapons, or molestation. There are too many stories about abuse, neglect, fights, drugs, weapons, etc. If you are concerned about your child's well-being, take action, but I do not believe that teaching a two year old self defense is the answer.

Just my opinion
CM D.J. Eisenhart

OP
B

buyu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
sweet so just having him round me while trainnig and playin with him should give him the basic skills and keep him interested well thats just such a simple answer for some reason i just thought it would be alot harder hehehe.
hmm i hadnt really thought about it befor that he probably wouldnt be able to apply what he would learn at such a age where bitting is all the rage and you dont need undies.
thanks for pulling the blindfold off and its real good listening to other parents experience on the subject.
i also agree with kids not starting till they are five because it is at this age they start school and start being taught structure and it then makes it easier for the teacher to teach the whole class as there are less random interuptions, i also agree with no black belts at a young age.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son is now 12, I have started teaching him a few things but not on a regular basis. He says he wants to learn, so I will begin to teach him regularly soon, but there are some things that I won't teach him until he is 18. I think kids are more often in situations than us adults where they would be inclined to do something and as a kid sometimes it is hard to know difference of when and when not, especially when ego and pride clouds their judgment.

I think teaching kids is ok, but they must be old enough to "understand" the level of training that is being taught.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is a very tricky subject. What age to start your kids? I have witnessed so many kids start young and burn out by around thirteen, fourteen or fifteen. (those kids really lost the benefits of their training and some even turned to drugs) The key with teaching your children is to make it fun, enjoyable and not to push to hard. With my boys age 7 and 10, I teach then regularly once a week or every other week. I have done this since they were around four. They literally jump at the chance to train because I make every experience fun and enjoyable and I do not push it on them. I teach them Archery the exact same way and so far we have had great results. Now in IRT there are no junior blackbelts, etc. They will be working for a long time to ever become a blackbelt and will only achieve this when they are adults. (Only if they stick with it as well)
Take your time and make it fun. Also do not be surprised if they do not have your passion for the arts. They are after all a unique and different human being. Good luck.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My son is now 12, I have started teaching him a few things but not on a regular basis. He says he wants to learn, so I will begin to teach him regularly soon, but there are some things that I won't teach him until he is 18. I think kids are more often in situations than us adults where they would be inclined to do something and as a kid sometimes it is hard to know difference of when and when not, especially when ego and pride clouds their judgment.

I think teaching kids is ok, but they must be old enough to "understand" the level of training that is being taught.

Dave touches on a very good point. The kids do need to be old enough to understand what they are being taught. You cannot teach a child the same way you would teach and adult. They just do not have the same life experiences to guide them. You also really have to stress fundamental things life respect of life, treating people nicely, not using these skills unless your life is threatened and that you should not be fighting at school and that they principal will always see you as a participant and you will be punished accordingly. Kids just need to be taught to their level and make it fun and enjoyable.

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Teach them to play, not to fight for now. Best thing you can do with young kids is teach them some playful judo/bjj/grappling. Kids love to wrestle and roll about anyway, so just get them used to doing them right.
Striking isn't much use to teach children, especially cause of how they can damage themselves from striking.
So instead maybe have them practice playing sorta striking tag, where they have to practice dodging and slipping the other kids hands when they try to "tag them".
Forget the techniques or forms, just lay a nice solid base for learning or using skills and techniques once they're old enough to learn them.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ive a two year old son who i would love to start teachin but dont know where to start and at that age if he is to young to even teach, any suggestions and tips would be great as he is quite a bit smaller than most kids his age and i guess i just get worried he is being bullied at daycare

I have two children. A four year old girl and a two year old boy. Both of them love to "play" tangsoodo with daddy. And I think that is the key...play. You can't approach training in MA like an adult when you are attempting to show really young children various peices of MA.

Forget about self defense. Forget about making every technique perfect. Forget about trying to teach them the proper mindset. Everything is a game at that young of an age, so if you approach it like that, then they will pick it up.

Look at how these bear cubs are wrestling. In their own little way, they are practicing the skills that would have helped them in the wild. Human children do this too...

Lastly, check the attached clip...this is my daughter when she was three.

Last edited by a moderator:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Try JUDO for small children! One of the best things in JUDO is the kids learn to fall,roll,tumble. As they are growing up with the other kids in the play ground (kids do fall)...they will be able to recover from falls and being push around in games.

The physcial contact from throws and be thrown makes them learn faster too.

Plus Judo teaches them respect to all others,(I know most martial classes too). Kids do better in there normal classes too, because they gain confidence in themselves.

Just my thoughts on this.........Aloha

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha I beat you all...
My daughter was like 17/18 months old when she started....lol kinda.
One day she saw me and my wife trying an arm bar starting from a wrist grab, since then once in a while my daughter grabs my wrist and when I twist it she pulls her hand away suddenly with a look like saying "I got you" (before you say something...no harm no pain in the twist I am not idiot. It is just a simple slow movement that won't cause any tension in her arm, it's as if she looked at her watch).

But yes, when she is 3 or 4 years old if she shows a little interest I will start introducing her, not in fighting drill, but in basic postures. At that age their flexibility is excellent, would be a waist to let them lose that flexibility and then years later try to have them get it back. Even if just 5 or 10 minutes a day would be good, maybe a couple of posture during with me during my warm up then she can go play. Just like brushing teeth...healthy habbit.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I work alot of big gross motor skills with my kids. Running, jumping, kicking balls or pads, simple blocking of incoming pushes, and wrestling...lots and lots of wresting...mainly working on getting in and out of positions.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I work alot of big gross motor skills with my kids. Running, jumping, kicking balls or pads, simple blocking of incoming pushes, and wrestling...lots and lots of wresting...mainly working on getting in and out of positions.

That is definately good. Big motor skills, lots of fun and play. Plus you are right they love to wrestle so working those positions and teaching them the right fundamental skills is important.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions