M.A. Career?

MartialFighter

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey again,
Ive been in the martial arts for a little over 4 years. I am still a newbie, lol. However, in these past 4 years I have grown to love the martial arts. I have made it my life pretty much. I still go to school and am on the honor roll, and I still have a life outside of the dojang. But my question is this. Besides becoming an instructor for the "normal student", what other careers are there in the martial arts. Im sure that this is a question a lot of younger martial artists may have.
I have read in other posts that many people disagree with having a career in the martial arts. But I disagree, so long as you do your best to succeed in your goal, and dont wimp out when times get tough.
I love the martial arts, and want to make it more than just a hobby. Can anyone help me out. Thanks

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could open your own school, if teaching on a full or even part time basis was something that interested you. People like Chuck Norris eventually landed in the movies/TV shows. There are also people that spend alot of time on the seminar circut. When Remy Presas (Modern Arnis) was alive, he spent quite a bit of time traveling to give seminars and camps.

Mike

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A hard living...

In addition to acting, fight choreography, Professional fighting, and instructing...

There is the possibility of work in law enforcement, military, and professional security. You can teach self defense at churches, to womans groups, provide security to corporations...train security personel, law enforcement, military, etc.

Here is the catch...being physically talented in a martial art in no way qualifies you for any of these positions. You must have real world experience of a certain level and quality!

TAEKWON!

SpooKeY

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You will probably need additional training besides martial arts to do many of the careers.

Teaching/owning a school: you should have at least a few years of in-dojo teaching before going on your own

Acting: obviously, acting lessons wouldnt hurt. look at the difference between Jackie chan (trained actor), Hiroyuki Sanada(trained actor) and the kid who plays sharkboy....

Stunts: stunt school.

Bodyguard: same deal. only bodyguards school

Pro fighter: experience. you can get away with only having MA experience, but you gotta train the hell out of it.

LEO: see previous

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like acting or singing or pro sports...it's great if you make it, but most won't, so have a Plan B!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spookey said:
There is the possibility of work in law enforcement and professional security.SpooKeY
Very true...Leave the Gi at home though..A lot of officers are bothered by it..A friend of mine took my suggestion and started teaching cops on BDU pants and a T shirt with no complaints..One sad fact is that when departments start slashing budgets it's the training department that get hit first..

Latest Discussions