JR 137
Grandmaster
I definitely want to win, and when Iām preparing I train to win. I train as hard and as smart as I possibly can. But with the whole winning thing, sometimes itās too low of a bar (if the field is awful) and other times itās too unrealistic (if the field is way too good). I do everything thing I can to prepare, leave it all on the floor when Iām doing my thing, and walk away leaving the rest of it all to take care of itself.But I do understand competing to win, and I still do aim to do my best and hopefully do well. It's a great motivation to train harder and learn more as I still try to take out the division. But more as a way to become a better martial artist.
It's definitely a great experience.
In my first tournament, I was in the beginnersā pool. It was me and one other guy in my kata division. He claimed to have started 5 weeks ago and was only out there because his kids were competing and talked him into it too. I thought maybe he was just trying to get inside my head. Nope. Once he started his kata, you could tell he wasnāt lying. He stopped about half way through, shook his head, said āsorry, I forgot the restā and bowed out. I followed his kata and did pretty well. Not spectacular, but pretty good. I didnāt feel good about my first place finish that day
At the last tournament, the guy who placed first was a pro danced and accomplished gymnast from New Zealand. He did Seido 3, which has a ton of high roundhouse kicks. Needless to say he did those kicks flawlessly, and the rest of the kata was solid. The second place guy was a 22 year old guy who was just naturally very talented. Placing right behind those guys wasnāt a loss at all. I did my kata better than Iāve ever done it before.
All I can hope to control is my own performance. I canāt control anyone nor anything else.