Step Through Punches NEVER Happen

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I agree with you, step sparring isn't the same thing as a 'Step Through Punch.'

In an actual fight, a lunge attack of any sort will not end with the attacker static unless they've radically overextended themselves and lost ballance.

Step sparring is generally done to teach a student the mechanics of a technique, and then the student can apply the technique in live sparring, be it kumite, kyorugi, or whatever your art calls it.

This is a huge disconnect in Taekwondo, as the often the live sparring rules make many of the things a student learns in step sparring useless.

Daniel

I see what you're saying, and you're right. The attacks that were shown are different from the step sparring techniques...but that's kinda what I'm getting at too. The only real way to train how to deal with those kinds of attacks is to actually get attacked that way.

Step sparring helps you understand what tools you have available to use, but the confusion often happens when the tools depend on techniques being performed a certain way, and are not adaptable to the situation.

In a real fight, there is no static movement. I can see the usefullness of static training, but it needs to be understood how to adapt the techniques to "real time".

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see what you're saying, and you're right. The attacks that were shown are different from the step sparring techniques...but that's kinda what I'm getting at too. The only real way to train how to deal with those kinds of attacks is to actually get attacked that way.

Step sparring helps you understand what tools you have available to use, but the confusion often happens when the tools depend on techniques being performed a certain way, and are not adaptable to the situation.

In a real fight, there is no static movement. I can see the usefullness of static training, but it needs to be understood how to adapt the techniques to "real time".
I think that what happens is that people become accustomed to responding to the specific attacks in the one steps and when faced with variations, they don't know what to do.

A huge part of the problem is that, at least in KKW/WTF taekwondo, a solid 80% of the one steps that we practice for self defense would be useless or outright disallowed by the rules in live sparring, where one could actually practice against a resisting opponent.

Also, if a curriculum has a codified set of one steps, it is easy for the student to get good at 'one steps' in class, but not at actually using the techniques.

Daniel

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking at it from another angle, I guess it's pretty much the same concept as doing the basic line drills in class.

I'm not going to use a static front stance with a middle section reverse punch in a real fight situation. I will, however, use the application of the basic movement into the full motion of my attack and/or counter-attack.

So, bringing this all back around to the OP, lunge punches happen in virtually every fight situation...if a punch is being thrown that is not a lunging punch, then the attacker is standing with both feet planted...otherwise, any movement of the feet in a forward motion is going to be considered a lunging punch.