Los Angeles, San Diego or San Francisco

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love San Francisco. My club is there.

http://www.marineclub.com/

I know right where that place is. Before my offices moved a year ago, I worked just a couple blocks from there.

I love the city in the summer time. But it's cold.

yeah, I wouldn't mind a few more hot days and a bit less fog in the summer.

And frankly, I can only take it in small doses. I used to be a smoker, and fat (fatter, anyway, I still ain't slender). I'm sure you know what I mean when I say you can walk another man down the street wearing a diaper and holding onto his leash like a dog and you won't get a sideways glance; but light up a cigarette on the street or be fat in their precious image-is-everything town and you'd think the devil had just shown up in person to fart brimstone on all the widows and children. Like I said, small doses. When my patience runs out for being seen as an evil man, I just leave. But yes, it is a fantastic city, very beautiful and much to do there.

You are right about the smoking bit. You can hardly smoke outside on the sidewalk anymore, it's banned in city parks.

I don't think SF is a image conscious as LA, at least not as superficial. There are a lot of heavy people about, I'd be surprised you might get funny looks for being more than slender.

As far as the diaper and dog leash goes, yes in some neighborhoods it can seem like Halloween every day of the year.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You are right about the smoking bit. You can hardly smoke outside on the sidewalk anymore, it's banned in city parks.

I don't think SF is a image conscious as LA, at least not as superficial. There are a lot of heavy people about, I'd be surprised you might get funny looks for being more than slender.

As far as the diaper and dog leash goes, yes in some neighborhoods it can seem like Halloween every day of the year.

but... but...

I don't smoke... and due to this wonderful series of injuries which cover more than a year I am most certainly not slender... and I don't ever OWN A dog :D

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but... but...

I don't smoke... and due to this wonderful series of injuries which cover more than a year I am most certainly not slender... and I don't ever OWN A dog :D

Oh, you could BE the dog...or pony....or whatever you want...in the right neighborhood...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm currently thinking of a line from Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

:D

Oh, it can be a silly place alright. The interesting thing is when you reach a point where you don't even blink twice when you see it. It's all just part of the landscape.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm...

Grant Ave.... check
Pacific Street... check
Waverly Place... check
Walter Lum Place... check

Yep... solved for me...

San Fran!!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK San Diego is back and may be where we are going, but in a different area anyone know about the Sail Bay/Mission Bay area?

This is typical with these things, they change, and even though I have been told it is up to me, as per usual…it is not :uhyeah:

Mission Bay area is a great neighborhood. Close to downtown, very close to Seaworld and lots of amenities. Nice beaches to walk, not so great to swim (want to be on the ocean side, not in the bay to avoid pollutants), but in winter, you probably don't want to do more than dip your toes in the ocean. The weather, as most days in San Diego, is very likely to be "nice", but the water will be cold.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And the winner is...at least for now

San Diego.

However now my better half has me so busy I am not sure I will have time to sleep. I will need to get back to work to have a rest :D

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you will be very, very busy Xue. Let's see Zoo, aquarium, beach, food, etc., etc. However, I am betting that it will be a great time!
icon6.gif

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes you will be very, very busy Xue. Let's see Zoo, aquarium, beach, food, etc., etc. However, I am betting that it will be a great time!
icon6.gif

Yup, My wife will be in seminars all day and I get to out and play
icon14.gif
And my youngest has already been asking what is there and already given me a list and the Zoo and Aquarium are right on top and we have requested that Disneyland be moved there too :D

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well I was in San Diego last week, of course it was very hot the first few days (unseasonably so) and one day apparently broke the record and went to 100 degrees… and I am not a real fan of heat so I didn’t like that part but overall San Diego was a pretty cool place and I wish I had more time to spend there. It was the first place I have ever gone that when it came time to go home I thought I wanted to stay longer. Generally I can’t get on the plane fast enough to get home.

My wife was in conferences the entire time we were there so I played Mr. Mom, but I did get to sea world and the San Diego zoo, both which were pretty neat.

I also got to the emergency room of a local hospital because my cold turned into a sinus infection. Saw a lot of surfers and I Have to tell you that every single time I was on Grand street (Or is that boulevard) I heard this in my demented little noggin… It just made me think of Miami Vice…which I do realize is in Florida, not California… I think it was the rows of Palm trees... and I was on Grand street a lot.

Overall it is a nice place and we may go back there next year.