Boston's newest terrorist scare.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070201...jRqmTmms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OTB1amhuBHNlYwNtdHM-
Boston new channels spend the better part of the night talking about the bomb scare that was created by little neon lights. I'm wondering if anyone from New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Austin, Texas, San Francisco and Philadelphia could tell us if your city lost their minds as badly as our out of touch city officials did?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about kids being exposed to a cartoon that is about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball.

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah the cartoon network president got into some really big trouble I think he resigned. he should have what was he thinking

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this about sums it up for me:

$peanuts_mooninite_large.jpg

The whole thing is riddiculous. If someone wanted to hide a bomb, do you really think they would use a flashing cartoon character in plain site as there method? Or is it because movies tell us that bombs have flashing lights, therefore it must be true?

Guess the war on terror must be working? The people aren't living in fear of terrorist attacks now?

When all it takes is a couple of guys and a bunch of lightbrights to set off a major terrorist scare, there is a much bigger problem then the guys with the lightbrights and a advertising campaign...

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
He did resign but here is a good overview.

East coast declares bomb threat and goes about trying to find all the devices and blow/disable them.

On the west coast a vintage sign owner finds one of the devices but thinks it looks "cool" and leave it in place without reporting it. Eventually the battery dies and it is collected by the company.

:)

Silly East Coasters.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do those other cities have a pre-9/11 designed tunnel that goes literally right under the heart of downtown?

I agree there was a bit to the scare that was ridiculous, but...thanks to a very poorly designed public works project dubbed "The Big Dig", it's now possible to blow up the city of Boston with little more than what Timothy McVeigh used to blow up the Murrah building in OK city.

The 9/11 highjackers took off from our airport and ever since then our officials have been urging on the "If you see something, say something" campaign. And now the local folks are getting **** on for doing exactly that.

That being said, I'm glad I don't work anywhere near the city. :lol2:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this about sums it up for me:

View attachment 7861

The whole thing is riddiculous. If someone wanted to hide a bomb, do you really think they would use a flashing cartoon character in plain site as there method? Or is it because movies tell us that bombs have flashing lights, therefore it must be true?

Guess the war on terror must be working? The people aren't living in fear of terrorist attacks now?

When all it takes is a couple of guys and a bunch of lightbrights to set off a major terrorist scare, there is a much bigger problem then the guys with the lightbrights and a advertising campaign...

Andrew, I thought the same thing as you. I couldn't believe how this 'guerilla marketing' blew up like that. I think IBM or Sun did something similar a few years ago, but it was with chalk drawings on sidewalks. . .or maybe it wasn't chalk, maybe they were anthrax drawings? Everybody run!!!!!

Sheesh!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 9/11 highjackers took off from our airport and ever since then our officials have been urging on the "If you see something, say something" campaign. And now the local folks are getting **** on for doing exactly that.

Yes, good on them for reporting it. If someoen found it suspicious, by all means report it.

HOWEVER, I would expect the first cop to show up to investigate to perhaps chuckle a little and go back to something more important.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, good on them for reporting it. If someoen found it suspicious, by all means report it.

HOWEVER, I would expect the first cop to show up to investigate to perhaps chuckle a little and go back to something more important.

That I agree with. The trouble was that this happened on the main artery that takes people in to and through the city...in a city that has very little for alternative routes.

One thing is for sure...the DA issued a $2MM fine for the mess....there was more than $2MM worth of publicity generated from it all! :lol2:

Latest Discussions