lookin for sparring gear...

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What's the latest and greatest lightweight, cool, chest protectors out there?

I'm looking for head gear and a chest protector.

Also, when/if you have a "sparring" class, do they make you wear all the gear (foot/hands/limbs) or just the chest protector/head gear?

If someone could recommend a good online store that would be great to.

I'm looking at the Macho Sport chest protector. Seems pretty nice and modern looking...any wearers?

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you know what your school requires? I find it kind of strange they let you buy what you want. My school for instance requires you have a hogu if you do Olympic sparring. As to how much you require, again, it's usually the school that dictates it but I wouldn't spar without a mouth piece and a jock or chest protector for a woman.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you know what your school requires? I find it kind of strange they let you buy what you want. My school for instance requires you have a hogu if you do Olympic sparring. As to how much you require, again, it's usually the school that dictates it but I wouldn't spar without a mouth piece and a jock or chest protector for a woman.

Does your school require you to have a hogu from a specific manufacturer, or as long as you have a hogu you are OK? I find that strange if a school says you must have a "brand x" hogu!

As for the op, my daughter wears "Vision" gear and it has always served her well over the years. Their website is http://www.mykick.com

With regards to what she wears in class for sparring, usually they start out with warm up drills wearing no protection and slowly build up to full gear.

OP
L

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score

My school is very lose and very informal.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We spar either without pads, or with hand and foot pads, mouthguards, and headgear. We don't wear hogu - but we don't do Olympic sparring, either.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Best advice is to ask your instructor what he recommends for you, since it is his class.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Terry, ask your instructor.

The school may depend on equipment sales to help keep the prices lower for your tuition.

I like a hard shell and my students to wear forearm and shin guards and all the rest. This can help prevent injuries, like broken bones on the top of the foot when kicking elbows. We use textile forearm guards that cover the elbow, or an additional elbow pad if they use shorter ones.

If you go to tournaments, it may be required to use TKD approved gear to compete, head to foot to be insured. I know that we can no longer wear the old style chest protectors at our tournaments, but that's Canada. Maybe it's diferent where you are.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
generally we wear forearm and shin guards for normal training for training and sparring, unless we're training for tournaments, then we will wear the full gear, usually full adidas suit wtf-certified. we're doing kukkiwon tkd and participating in wtf-style tournaments btw.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does your school require you to have a hogu from a specific manufacturer, or as long as you have a hogu you are OK? I find that strange if a school says you must have a &quot;brand x&quot; hogu!

So far as I know you can buy what you want as far as brand is concerned. What I found strange is that they don't specify the pieces of equipment he must have.

As far as my school and a hogu, I think they would object if you showed up wanting to do Olympic style sparring with a hogu that looked drastically different from everyone else's. As for the rest it is the normal plastic-dipped foam.

Note: Above I meant to say "cup" not "jock".