ATA sparring

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been watching some sparring matches on youtube and I noticed something odd. In ATA matches, everybody wears black chest protectors and head gear, rather that the typical red/blue. Why do they do this? It must be very difficult to score a match if both competitors are wearing the same color.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I suspect it's ATA branded gear in non-typical colors so students have to purchase gear from their instructor.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was with the ATA I had a black chest protector and red head, foot and hand pads. Eventually they got all new black gear in but still sold both in their pro shop.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching some sparring matches on youtube and I noticed something odd. In ATA matches, everybody wears black chest protectors and head gear, rather that the typical red/blue. Why do they do this? It must be very difficult to score a match if both competitors are wearing the same color.

It's really not the least bit difficult to score a match between people wearing identical armor. Just because their pads look the same doesn't mean THEY look the same.

OP
Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's really not the least bit difficult to score a match between people wearing identical armor. Just because their pads look the same doesn't mean THEY look the same.
Seriously? Maybe I'm just slow, but in a fast-moving match, I sometimes have a hard time with "Left hand Red, Right hand Blue." I can't imagine having to remember that the left hand clicker is for the guy with the mustache and the right hand clicker is for the guy with the weird mole on his nose.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doesn't ATA do point sparring? If you stop the match every time someone makes a hit, you probably don't have to worry about that so much.

itsrosa82

White Belt
Reaction score
We do point sparring for tournaments. One person has a red ribbon placed on the back of their chest protector to denote that they are the "red" competitor. The other is the "white" competitor. I've never had a problem calling the points even though the competitors are in the same color gear. I hope this helps.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously? Maybe I'm just slow, but in a fast-moving match, I sometimes have a hard time with "Left hand Red, Right hand Blue." I can't imagine having to remember that the left hand clicker is for the guy with the mustache and the right hand clicker is for the guy with the weird mole on his nose.

I don't know you, so I don't have any opinion on whether or not you're slow. I assume not. But I don't find judging matches with identical body armor difficult.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do point sparring for tournaments. One person has a red ribbon placed on the back of their chest protector to denote that they are the "red" competitor. The other is the "white" competitor. I've never had a problem calling the points even though the competitors are in the same color gear. I hope this helps.
And I'll add to this that the red competitor is always placed on the center judge's right side. It's not that hard.

OP
Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK, I'm used to continuous sparring where the competitors are constantly moving for a 2 minute round.

Latest Discussions