Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

OP
H
Reaction score
A tucked chin is the least of your worries there faisal.

I Know! working on it , doing detailed comparisons with a boxing glove wrapped with boxer's wrist straps stuck between my thighs , the master of improvisation aye , thats me haha

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I Know! working on it , doing detailed comparisons with a boxing glove wrapped with boxer's wrist straps stuck between my thighs , the master of improvisation aye , thats me haha

A boxing glove is too soft. You need something hard so you can put a little pressure and get resistance to maintain the muscle tension. But just enough pressure, making sure you don't mash or squeeze too hard. The idea is not that you are crushing what is between your knees, but the position is holding what is between your knees because of the position from your stance. Make sense?

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not often I will disagree with you Zep but I used a boxing glove but sideways if you know what I mean and it was just fine.
It was an old glove though and a bit manky and old so maybe had stiffened up a bit....yuck!!
Haris, try holding a broom handle horizontal out in front of you at the same time for strength exercises too.

Fair play for putting yourself up here on the Tube and asking for critism, my novice ego is far to easily bruised for that. I might put that form up when I am sorted back here at home.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I used to use a tennis ball, but our stance aims to be 1-1.5 fists difference between our knees, not 2. That's just another one of the zillion small details that each lineage is going to have. I'd figure out which lineage you are most drawn towards, or that is closest to you, and than stick to that lineage alone, best of luck!

OP
H
Reaction score
A boxing glove is too soft. You need something hard so you can put a little pressure and get resistance to maintain the muscle tension. But just enough pressure, making sure you don't mash or squeeze too hard. The idea is not that you are crushing what is between your knees, but the position is holding what is between your knees because of the position from your stance. Make sense?

hmm i'll try to find something else maybe something a little sturdier... zepeda what lineage are you and also what lineage has mook studied?

OP
H
Reaction score
It's not often I will disagree with you Zep but I used a boxing glove but sideways if you know what I mean and it was just fine.
It was an old glove though and a bit manky and old so maybe had stiffened up a bit....yuck!!
Haris, try holding a broom handle horizontal out in front of you at the same time for strength exercises too.

Fair play for putting yourself up here on the Tube and asking for critism, my novice ego is far to easily bruised for that. I might put that form up when I am sorted back here at home.

Hmm the broom stick , i should hold it horizontally in me hands? or with my arms? ah well you know ... ego is a small thing to give up in order to learn something ... my ego will have to bear it , not that i liked it much anyway. heh

OP
H
Reaction score
I used to use a tennis ball, but our stance aims to be 1-1.5 fists difference between our knees, not 2. That's just another one of the zillion small details that each lineage is going to have. I'd figure out which lineage you are most drawn towards, or that is closest to you, and than stick to that lineage alone, best of luck!

hmm with all these online turds who just imitate in videos ,i cant tell what lineage is what .. but i got a book for that , im reading a little bit every day, i've sorta learnt to tell the difference between a faker and someone who has had practiced learning , but im still trying to figure out the lineage , ofcourse i would wanna ask what lineage are you?

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hold it with one hand as close to the end as you can horizontally out in front of you when you are in training stance with boxing glove between your knees.

Go for a minute then change hands without getting up out of your stance. Move your hand further along broom handle to make it easier as you get more tired.

I didnt last long so dont think I am some kind of hard nut ;-)

Enjoy.....I didn't lol.

OP
H
Reaction score
ahh that explains it , I was imagining holding it with both hands and then thinking how the hell is this gonna help me LoL... I'm not that hard myself though sometimes i think maybe i should be ... i have a question thats been bothering me ... in YKYJM stance ... after the pelvic tilt if the torso is supposed to be directly above the hips is is supposed to be vertically erect bove the hips or does it lean slightly to one side like the back or the front? What position should the torso be in?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
ahh that explains it , I was imagining holding it with both hands and then thinking how the hell is this gonna help me LoL... I'm not that hard myself though sometimes i think maybe i should be ... i have a question thats been bothering me ... in YKYJM stance ... after the pelvic tilt if the torso is supposed to be directly above the hips is is supposed to be vertically erect bove the hips or does it lean slightly to one side like the back or the front? What position should the torso be in?

I think you need to go old school and find a goat to squeeze between your knees , goat probably won't be too thrilled about it though. :)

Tilt your pelvis forward and up , but not to the point where your quadriceps muscles tense up , back it off until the thighs relax and the glutes are just slightly firm.

Pull your hands back until your relaxed fists are in line with your chest , push your chest out slightly to open up the shoulders.
Visualise a piece of string vertically pulling up the top of your head , this will lengthen and straighten the spine , I think they call it "sing" if I remember correctly.

Back of shoulders to knees forms straight line called the "Wing Chun slant body" but you don't have to worry about it , what I have already told you should theoretically enable you to produce good posture if you follow it properly.
I am TST lineage.

OP
H
Reaction score
I think you need to go old school and find a goat to squeeze between your knees , goat probably won't be too thrilled about it though. :)

Tilt your pelvis forward and up , but not to the point where your quadriceps muscles tense up , back it off until the thighs relax and the glutes are just slightly firm.

Pull your hands back until your relaxed fists are in line with your chest , push your chest out slightly to open up the shoulders.
Visualise a piece of string vertically pulling up the top of your head , this will lengthen and straighten the spine , I think they call it "sing" if I remember correctly.

Back of shoulders to knees forms straight line called the "Wing Chun slant body" but you don't have to worry about it , what I have already told you should theoretically enable you to produce good posture if you follow it properly.
I am TST lineage.

Ahh thank you ... another missing link to the puzzle appears , So i have to practice two things now:
1. achieve the wing chun slant body.
2. Maintain it during the the first part of the form.

Hmm well i've got about 4 hours to go till i need to get to work so i think i'll get about practicin' ... I was actually reasearching this for an hour or so but this explanation helps alot! and i guess theoretically it also makes sense that the body should be very slightly tilted forward since it would probably make deflecting a strong force alot easier by acting as a buffer space and well i guess the forward tilt also somehow helps absorb a shock better than an erect stance am i wrong? Most importantly , i assure you that no goats will be harmed in the making of my next SLT first part Video haha. :) TST would stand for Tsui shong Tin if i remember correctly?

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ahh thank you ... another missing link to the puzzle appears , So i have to practice two things now:

Maintain it all through and through out the form.:whip:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hmm well i've got about 4 hours to go till i need to get to work so i think i'll get about practicin' ... I was actually reasearching this for an hour or so but this explanation helps alot! and i guess theoretically it also makes sense that the body should be very slightly tilted forward since it would probably make deflecting a strong force alot easier by acting as a buffer space and well i guess the forward tilt also somehow helps absorb a shock better than an erect stance am i wrong? Most importantly , i assure you that no goats will be harmed in the making of my next SLT first part Video haha. :) TST would stand for Tsui shong Tin if i remember correctly?

Just make sure you don't go overboard and start leaning back , pay attention to the pressure that is felt on the soles of your feet , they will tell you if you are on the right track or not without even having to look in a mirror.

Pressure towards the front of the foot means you are leaning forward or sunk too far down in your stance.
Pressure towards the heels means you are leaning back or standing up too high in your stance.

You want to have a feeling of the weight being distrubuted evenly over the entire surface area of the foot.

There are a number of reasons for the pelvic tilt which produces the slant body effect , main ones being it locks the upper and lower body into one unified mass , and it straightens the spine so that outside force can be taken and transmitted down the skeletal system in a straight line down to the knees and feet which neutralise the force by acting as shock absorbers .
Anything other than a straight spine would mean a weak structure just like a plastic ruler with a bend in it .

If we rest a plastic ruler vertically on a table and put pressure on the end , then as long as the ruler is kept straight it will have great resilience , once we put a bend somewhere along the ruler it will start to lose structural integrity until it eventually snaps.

Yes TST is Tsui Seung Tin sometimes spelled Chu Shong Tin.

OP
H
Reaction score
Just make sure you don't go overboard and start leaning back , pay attention to the pressure that is felt on the soles of your feet , they will tell you if you are on the right track or not without even having to look in a mirror.

Pressure towards the front of the foot means you are leaning forward or sunk too far down in your stance.
Pressure towards the heels means you are leaning back or standing up too high in your stance.

You want to have a feeling of the weight being distrubuted evenly over the entire surface area of the foot.

There are a number of reasons for the pelvic tilt which produces the slant body effect , main ones being it locks the upper and lower body into one unified mass , and it straightens the spine so that outside force can be taken and transmitted down the skeletal system in a straight line down to the knees and feet which neutralise the force by acting as shock absorbers .
Anything other than a straight spine would mean a weak structure just like a plastic ruler with a bend in it .

If we rest a plastic ruler vertically on a table and put pressure on the end , then as long as the ruler is kept straight it will have great resilience , once we put a bend somewhere along the ruler it will start to lose structural integrity until it eventually snaps.

Yes TST is Tsui Seung Tin sometimes spelled Chu Shong Tin.

Well Mook i gave it a shot ... and i made sure to focus on the weight distribution , unification of the body and making sure my head stays up as if being pulled up by a string. When i looked at it in the mirror from the side angle i stood sorta leaning forward but very slightly and though i try to keep my chin up , i must admit i tuck it in some times. Also made sure i focus on my feet and try to balance out the pressure so it is evenly distributed. Having the critique of people who have obviously been practicing WC for more than 10-15 years and whose knowledge on the matters at hand is far greater than mine is sometimes a strain on the analytical mind , Don't get me wrong i completely appreciate and am grateful for you guys sharing your knowledge , So here goes my attempt or rather what i've been practicing on day 11 , 1 week and 4 days. And i can't sleep so i guess i'll be online for a while hopefully you guys are online because im rolling in the dark here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H
Reaction score
Haris, I am in EBMAS, Emin Boztepes Martial Art System.

Ahh yes , though i can't say i'm well versed enough in the art to idetify by sight what the difference between emin boztepe and TST and the rest , i actaully read about your lineage when i was researching WC lineages , thats Really cool man :)

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its the headless wing chuns man. Your getting better man but most of it was cut out from the camera angle. If you were trying to show us your posture you should have done it sideways in the camera not straight on. Its hard to see that way.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I lol'd so hard at the smiley btw wtxs , what was your lineage?

Be no mistaken about it, lineage is not the determining factor of how good an WC practician you are, it's how much hard work you put into it (notice I didn't mention time ... as in years). Just concentrate on what is available to you ... now GETTT off of the computer and go put in some sweat time already. :soapbox:

The long winded answer is ... I don't know my pedigree, so I can claim being one of the many bastard sons of WC. If I have to give it an guess, I might be some how loosely related to the Cho Gar line of Mr. CWK on this forum.

Latest Discussions