Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

OP
H
Reaction score
one thing that is interesting that came to my mind . iwhen i was training parkour i learnt the value of motivation and my strengths and weaknesses well i think WC is no diffrent , and an interesting debate would be does the type of body a person has define the type of moves that are effective for him in wc or can every move be effective inspite of whatever body type a person may have?

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As long as it's not a hard boiled egg, that I'd like to see. Can you make a video of it so Haris Lamboo Faisal can try to learn that too?

You know fair well I can do that ... for fear of being punished AGAIN. :rules::whip1:

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
one thing that is interesting that came to my mind . iwhen i was training parkour i learnt the value of motivation and my strengths and weaknesses well i think WC is no diffrent , and an interesting debate would be does the type of body a person has define the type of moves that are effective for him in wc or can every move be effective inspite of whatever body type a person may have?

WC is concept base art, can be adapted to all different physical type. Some or most of technique/movement may look different from person to person.

OP
H
Reaction score
okay the video is uploading , i'll try to describe the stance from the legs up, as best i can ... the feet were pidgeon toe'd though they weren't exagerated and the camera angle made them look straight , conversely my knees and legs weren't uncomfortable. Below the torse i had insinuated on my body a pelvic tilt while straightening my spine and head and tucking my chin in. While practicing several times i made sure that in the stance i could easily kick in any direction... i also tried to make sure that my arms never straightened out completely and my shoulders were always relaxed while the elbows did most of the striking / arm movement. Also tried to keep my elbows a little separated from the body. yep thats about it .... the video is up so i'm posting the link below.

Last edited by a moderator:

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Still all wrong man. Feet are still not right and too far apart. Your sun fist looks like a moon fist. Lol. Just wait man. Our words are not helping you. You need a live instructor. There's just way too many mistakes and its impossible for us to correct this for you.
Did you ever go to the web site I posted for you at the beginning of this thread? I think it would help you immensely. Still it won't substitute for a live instructor, but for what your trying to do as far as learning on your own its your best option.

OP
H
Reaction score
Still all wrong man. Feet are still not right and too far apart. Your sun fist looks like a moon fist. Lol. Just wait man. Our words are not helping you. You need a live instructor. There's just way too many mistakes and its impossible for us to correct this for you.
Did you ever go to the web site I posted for you at the beginning of this thread? I think it would help you immensely. Still it won't substitute for a live instructor, but for what your trying to do as far as learning on your own its your best option.

hmm , alrigh i believe it was the wing chun interactive website where they showed hand positions in a flash image of a man standing i got it bookmarked or maybe the other one where they had step by step pictures ..i'm gonna look at the website again and a comparison is in order perhaps. thrice is not how many times i am usually wrong so i guess i need a comparison.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes the interactive website will help you. What I was meaning about your fist is that it must be vertical. The way you are doing it is palm up that's not right. Its called a sun fist, so I was making a joke. Its ok the other guys here will get the joke. Anyway, that's going to be your best bet.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really man all of it. Your entire posture is off. The motions are empty. Hands are too low. There's just way too much.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am under EBMAS, so, probably not the same lineage, but from that point of view I can offer a few suggestions.
before that though, I can tell just by watching your form, your conscious of things your trying to change and putting a lot of effort and heart into it, I feel like that is half the battle, props to you!
like stated above the stance is a bit too wide, should be shoulder width in line with the heels, although if your really tall and skinny like me, you may want to open the stance just a tiny up more than that. I would put your toes at a 60 degree angle inwards.
In my lineage, the opening double tan to gan sau starts at the chest level, than goes down in a double chopping motion not locked out, but close to it, and than back up to chest. your qwan sau looks pretty decent for not having a live sifu. when you bring your elbows back, in my lineage, you want them pulled behind your nipples, at the height, elbows in line with your shoulders, and we think of it as an elbow strike. it's a good stretch! the fist in your punch should be vertical. the punch starts from your solar plexus area, the elbow follows along the centerline, make sure your stretching to do that! our punch contains many movements, our spine straightens, our fist face is pulled back by our wrist, to create the one inch punch. our shoulder gets pulled back at the end of the punch, all of this is timed to let the energy pass through whatever we happen to be punching. after you punch, from a vertical fist, you open your fingers than turn your palm so it's facing up, than you pull the fingers back as far as you can, trying to touch our forearm, while holding that position we than rotate our hand so the palm would be facing down. while your fingers are still stretching to touch your forearm, you will make a fist, it will point straight down, this is another really good stretch. it than pops up, so you look like your punching like a boxer more or a less, aside from your elbow being aligned to the centerline, than we will execute the one inch punch motion by moving the wrist towards out center, or if it was vertical up. than we turn our entire arm upside down and pull back for an elbow strike. I would just focus on trying to perfect these movements first, before you move on the next. The kind of patience and diligence you will need can be tested here. If you can work on the same 2-5 motions over and over for hours your on the right track.
The thing about all of this is that, when you do eventually find a teacher, your going to have to unlearn EVERYTHING you have learned, and that is really going to set you back, everything you will have done up until that point will have been wasted time, and in fact will make it much harder for you to learn properly your new lineage.
In any event, I can see the hard work your putting in, so you have my respect and best wishes, best of luck to you! :)

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
okay the video is uploading , i'll try to describe the stance from the legs up, as best i can ... the feet were pidgeon toe'd though they weren't exagerated and the camera angle made them look straight , conversely my knees and legs weren't uncomfortable. Below the torse i had insinuated on my body a pelvic tilt while straightening my spine and head and tucking my chin in. While practicing several times i made sure that in the stance i could easily kick in any direction... i also tried to make sure that my arms never straightened out completely and my shoulders were always relaxed while the elbows did most of the striking / arm movement. Also tried to keep my elbows a little separated from the body. yep thats about it .... the video is up so i'm posting the link below.

Don't tuck your chin in, head up, dont want to damage the neck in SLT although I do tuck when sparring. You're 1st move in SLT needs to be down and forward, always tucking your elbows in, you should be relaxed enough for your elbows to sink, practice standing in WC stance for days.

Last edited by a moderator:

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

I second the motion, you need a live instructor.

I guess I'll give you my $80 worth (what I charge for a month's tuition). One of the problems with your stance is when standing straight up, feet together, and you open to YJKYM, when you finish building your stance, you continue to adjust your feet and stance instead of stopping and staying where you finished. Once you open, then pigeon toe, you should not move or adjust your feet. They should be set and stay in that position through out the execution of the form. So you're not opening to YJKYM correctly. Like most people, you most likely start with your feet together, touching each other. That is not correct. You should start by standing with your feet together, relaxed pointing forward, not touching each other, with a space of about 1 - 2 inches between them, to get the correct spacing. Then open to YJKYM. Once opened in YJKYM, there should be about two fists (your fists) distance between your knees.

What I have my students do when first learning and training this stance, is to use a focus pad (which tends to be 2 fists in width) and stick it between their knees (slightly above the knee caps), holding it but not squeezing it, and then do their forms. If you drop the pad, stop, pick it up, adjust it again, then continue the form where you left off.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't tuck your chin in, head up, dont want to damage the neck in SLT although I do tuck when sparring. You're 1st move in SLT needs to be down and forward, always tucking your elbows in, you should be relaxed enough for your elbows to sink, practice standing in WC stance for days.

Domino keep your head up straight all the time , your Wu Sau is there to guard your throat .
Keep the vertebrae stacked one on top of the other.
Having your chin in might guard your throat , but it also effectively weakens your overall structure.

You are very vulnerable to being clinched around the neck and having your head pulled down into a knee strike , with your head up straight you will be able to resist the pull and he has to try and pull your whole body in as one unit.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I agree with mook, it was much easier to resist the clench from this position of maintaining straightness of the spine.

OP
H
Reaction score
I second the motion, you need a live instructor.

I guess I'll give you my $80 worth (what I charge for a month's tuition). One of the problems with your stance is when standing straight up, feet together, and you open to YJKYM, when you finish building your stance, you continue to adjust your feet and stance instead of stopping and staying where you finished. Once you open, then pigeon toe, you should not move or adjust your feet. They should be set and stay in that position through out the execution of the form. So you're not opening to YJKYM correctly. Like most people, you most likely start with your feet together, touching each other. That is not correct. You should start by standing with your feet together, relaxed pointing forward, not touching each other, with a space of about 1 - 2 inches between them, to get the correct spacing. Then open to YJKYM. Once opened in YJKYM, there should be about two fists (your fists) distance between your knees.

What I have my students do when first learning and training this stance, is to use a focus pad (which tends to be 2 fists in width) and stick it between their knees (slightly above the knee caps), holding it but not squeezing it, and then do their forms. If you drop the pad, stop, pick it up, adjust it again, then continue the form where you left off.

Hmm that certainly clears up one of my misconceptions ... indeed it does feel better when the feet are one or two inches apart... im gonna be careful to check the with two fists distance just above the knees and i'll try to find a corresponding object so i can practice like that meh man i so wish i had a live Wing chun sifu right about now.

OP
H
Reaction score
Domino keep your head up straight all the time , your Wu Sau is there to guard your throat .
Keep the vertebrae stacked one on top of the other.
Having your chin in might guard your throat , but it also effectively weakens your overall structure.

You are very vulnerable to being clinched around the neck and having your head pulled down into a knee strike , with your head up straight you will be able to resist the pull and he has to try and pull your whole body in as one unit.

i actually changed from the tucked in chin to the straight chin yesterday while practicing after reading this.

Latest Discussions