London 2012 Olympic logo fiasco

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought the logo was representing the numbers:

in a very weird way....:idunno:

I didn't even "see" the continents until someone brought it up...very ugly indeed.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought the logo was representing the numbers:

in a very weird way....:idunno:

I didn't even "see" the continents until someone brought it up...very ugly indeed.

Oh yeah, you're right! Didn't see it until you pointed it out.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently, according to the BBC website, it's meant to represent the numbers "2012". If you look really hard, it's possible to see it...

The team responsible for accepting have said that it's meant to be "evolutionary, and forward thinking", and may well "evolve before 2012". In other words, they know they've spent £400 grand on something they now know everybody hates with a passion. Good on 'em.

In fact, some people have commented that it looks like a person on their knees, in front of another person, performing some form of umm.... interesting lewd act....? :erg: Think you have to look quite hard to see that. No pun intended.

Either way, I think it's crud. Total waste of time and money, and a perfect example of corporate UK's lack of imagination and wonderful ability to waste money and resources, turning out something a primary school child could've done in 10 minutes. For free. But it's ok so long as they got some marketing company in, and a few management consultants.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Apparently, according to the BBC website, it's meant to represent the numbers "2012". If you look really hard, it's possible to see it...
I was able to see it right off... but still didn't like it.

In fact, some people have commented that it looks like a person on their knees, in front of another person, performing some form of umm.... interesting lewd act....? :erg: Think you have to look quite hard to see that. No pun intended.
Some people have a VERY active imagination... I tried looking at it in a number of ways... sorry, I just don't see it at all.

Either way, I think it's crud. Total waste of time and money, and a perfect example of corporate UK's lack of imagination and wonderful ability to waste money and resources, turning out something a primary school child could've done in 10 minutes. For free. But it's ok so long as they got some marketing company in, and a few management consultants.
Agreed!

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Some people have a VERY active imagination... I tried looking at it in a number of ways... sorry, I just don't see it at all.

No me either, like I said, I read some comments on the BBC HYS (Have Your Say) and am not sure I'd go with it.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It looks like; after submitting the required paperwork in triplicate and getting approval from the necessary departments a Vogon carved his and her initials in a tree. Now please stick around for his reading of a love poem.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The team responsible for accepting have said that it's meant to be "evolutionary, and forward thinking", and may well "evolve before 2012". In other words, they know they've spent £400 grand on something they now know everybody hates with a passion. Good on 'em.

ROFL!! I didn't see it at first but now it's pointed out I can't see anything else, I've just startled the dog laughing so much! that's brilliant! :ultracool

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the Olympic's I actually want the best of the best in each respective field. Very few Olympic athletes from the Major countries are not professional atheletes. (they all have sponsors after all)

I agree. I want the Olympics to be a competition between the best in any field.

The idea of the amateur athlete competing in the modern games is interesting. It was essentially a ploy by Pierre de Coubertin and his buddies to exclude professionals who were of the lower classes in society. Only the wealthy could afford to be amateur athletes.

The ancient games were the preserve of the professional athlete. Men chosen and sponsored by their state to win glory for both the state and the individual. I think the ancient Greeks would look at the games now and understand.

By the way, the London logo could well be the ugliest that has ever been designed. It was supposed to be an appeal to the youth to be more interested in the games. But I'm sure they will not be inspired by a very expensive, ugly number.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
ROFL!! I didn't see it at first but now it's pointed out I can't see anything else, I've just startled the dog laughing so much! that's brilliant! :ultracool

Hello mate, I know daft isn't it. My mate at work read it at first, then said it to me, I'm not sure I can see it myself, but he swears that's all he can see now. Lol. Ah well, at least it gave us an expensive laugh. ;)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks like a failed entry in a Cubism competition glumly trying to hitch a ride home....

ROFLKLITA

However, I do have to say that I 'got' the symbolism as soon as I saw it i.e. the major continents being brought together by the Olympic ideal.

Is it attractive tho' ... that's a resounding NO!

As to the financial side of the games, I also agree that there is a lot of unreported 'developing' going on, some of which is at the expense rather than the benefit of the local people.

That said, it is also causing a much needed revamp and upgrading of the power supply and distribution in the area ... {shyly raises hand to indicate I'm part of the project}.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
ROFLKLITA

However, I do have to say that I 'got' the symbolism as soon as I saw it i.e. the major continents being brought together by the Olympic ideal.

Is it attractive tho' ... that's a resounding NO!

As to the financial side of the games, I also agree that there is a lot of unreported 'developing' going on, some of which is at the expense rather than the benefit of the local people.

That said, it is also causing a much needed revamp and upgrading of the power supply and distribution in the area ... {shyly raises hand to indicate I'm part of the project}.

But there are seven continents, six of which are inhabited. OK, maybe one in Eurasia, but there are billions of Asians, and I suspect some millions of Europeans, who won't like that. All I can see is a rather bad street graffiti 2012.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would have like to seen the dogs playing pool or poker turned into the dogs doing olympic events as a logo. Now that would be art! ;)

Who knows, if Chicago pulls off 2016, maybe that is what we'll see?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Locog - The London Organizing Committee for the Olympic Games - has yielded. The logo will "evolve" into something less controversial.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/london_2012/article2010120.ece

Officials deny that this is a climbdown and claim instead that it is an attempt to “populate” an evolving brand. They will also continue to produce fluorescent pink and Day-Glo orange versions, will retain the shape – which some have likened to a broken swastika – and insist that they will not change it to make the Olympic rings more visible.

However, Lord Coe, the chairman of the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (Locog), is understood to have been shocked by the extent of the backlash that followed the launch of the logo last month.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow 400,000 pounds for that?? Put it back out for redesign and for 1/4 of that price I'll let my 4 year old come up with a better looking design. The graphic artists that came up with that one must be great salesmen, because they stink at doing Logos. :barf:

Latest Discussions