London 2012 Olympic logo fiasco

kal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone actually like the logo that was unveiled for the 2012 Olympics?

They paid someone £400 000 and this is the best they could come up with?

LON80706041113.jpg

At least Londoners have started a petition to get it changed:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/better-logo-for-london-olympics.html

My mind is still swirling from looking at that creation.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a terribly ugly logo, isn't it.

At this point, I think the olympics should be dissolved. It has outlived its usefulness.

Between the professionalized athletes and the broadcasters who cut away from competitors to tell us a 'story' about the athlete's home, I won't watch the circus any longer.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The government and it's supporters were jumping up and down dancing with glee that we'd 'won' the Olypmic bid but no one asked us!
It's costing a fortune that would be better spent on housing, education and the NHS. They are forcibly evicting people who have lived for and worked in the site chosen and the property developers get richer.

The ironic thing is too that it's promoting sport which is becoming increasing harder to do in this country. Teachers in schools used to run cricket, football, rugby, netball classes after school, now they are so busy filling in the governments paperwork there are few if any afterschool sports activities. Playing field are turned by local councils into housing estates for the well off. (We used to have council housing where the local councils rented out reasonably priced houses to those who couldn't afford or didn't want to buy, the government is selling off the council houses)

Sports clubs struggle to keep open,if you have a talented child you'd better be prepared to spend your life savings and sacrifice family life. For example a talented swimmer who went to my daughter's school has a 100mile round trip early every morning just to be able to train with a coach in a big swimming pool.We have no schemes where sport people are sponsored through university, you're on your own!

And they spend all that money on a daft logo?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it supposed to represent the five continents?

Answers to the followup question to my question:

Eurasia and no participation from Antarctica. ;)

Logan

Green Belt
Reaction score
The logo design is the least worry in the fiasco that is 2012.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it supposed to represent the five continents?

Answers to the followup question to my question:

Eurasia and no participation from Antarctica. ;)

Is it? Looks like some funky colored shards from a broken window or something...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone actually like the logo that was unveiled for the 2012 Olympics?

They paid someone £400 000 and this is the best they could come up with?

At least Londoners have started a petition to get it changed:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/better-logo-for-london-olympics.html

My mind is still swirling from looking at that creation.
The board that approved that logo must've been a bunch of gits. The board that approved that logo and PAID for it are a bunch of idiots.

While I'm not in total agreement with Michael about the Olympics having outlived it's usefulness I do agree that it needs to be mmm put off for a while til we get this world straightened out and the IOC needs to be firm about NO professional athletes participating.

I side with Tez on the shamefulness that people are re-located and more important things are put aside just so the world can have a week long party watching sporting events. Besides something has gone missing from the Olys in the past few decades. Not sure what it is but it's not there anymore.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
the IOC needs to be firm about NO professional athletes participating.
THAT I'd agree with. Tired of seeing pros playing, but rules need to be consistent across countries...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
THAT I'd agree with. Tired of seeing pros playing, but rules need to be consistent across countries...

For the Olympic's I actually want the best of the best in each respective field. Very few Olympic athletes from the Major countries are not professional atheletes. (they all have sponsors after all)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I'm not in total agreement with Michael about the Olympics having outlived it's usefulness I do agree that it needs to be mmm put off for a while til we get this world straightened out and the IOC needs to be firm about NO professional athletes participating.

It may be my sentimental bleeding heart coming through, but I think it is because there are so many screwed up things in the world (when hasn't there been?) that the Olympics continue to be important for goodwill and international understanding and relations. (Some of the same reasons it's important not to shut borders down to foreign students, academics and skilled workers, but that's another thread.)

I definitely agree with Michael that the coverage could be much much better. Put the bios on the website and the events on TV! And, be diverse in the events shown. I can only take so much swimming.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks like a failed entry in a Cubism competition glumly trying to hitch a ride home....

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the Olympic's I actually want the best of the best in each respective field. Very few Olympic athletes from the Major countries are not professional atheletes. (they all have sponsors after all)
If I want to watch the best basketball players in the world, I go watch the NBA. It's incredibly international these days. If I want to go watch the best baseball players in the world, I go watch MLB. It's international too. I don't know, it just seems with those sports, the Olympics are just another way of rearranging players in different teams based on country of origin. I used to enjoy seeing amatuers. The next stock of potenial pros growing up... with some sports, there is not much of a "pro" environment (or at least harder to define it), but with things like basketball, baseball, soccer...

I guess it would be hard these days, since training does take alot of $...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be my sentimental bleeding heart coming through, but I think it is because there are so many screwed up things in the world (when hasn't there been?) that the Olympics continue to be important for goodwill and international understanding and relations. (Some of the same reasons it's important not to shut borders down to foreign students, academics and skilled workers, but that's another thread.)

I definitely agree with Michael that the coverage could be much much better. Put the bios on the website and the events on TV! And, be diverse in the events shown. I can only take so much swimming.

You mean you don't like the synchronised swimming! I'm shocked lol! what about the ladies beach volleyball?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You mean you don't like the synchronised swimming! I'm shocked lol! what about the ladies beach volleyball?

Yes, I do like the ladies beach volleyball. It's such an emotional moment when a team wins. On the winning side, one woman tackles the other and they roll around in the sand together. When you see that sort of happiness, that is when you know the Olympics are worth it!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do like the ladies beach volleyball. It's such an emotional moment when a team wins. On the winning side, one woman tackles the other and they roll around in the sand together. When you see that sort of happiness, that is when you know the Olympics are worth it!

:D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm going to take a stab and say that these are supposed to be tangram pieces representing each of the inhabited continents (except there's only five - Australia must have pissed them off ;) ). During the opening ceremonies, these pieces will be shown to fit in various ways to create beautiful images, such as a swan or a bunny rabbit.

Still, it reminds me of a Dilbert strip where Dogbert, as an advertising consultant, sold the company a piece of paper with a coffee ring on it which he named the "Brown Ring of Excellence".

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to take a stab and say that these are supposed to be tangram pieces representing each of the inhabited continents (except there's only five - Australia must have pissed them off ;) ). During the opening ceremonies, these pieces will be shown to fit in various ways to create beautiful images, such as a swan or a bunny rabbit.

Still, it reminds me of a Dilbert strip where Dogbert, as an advertising consultant, sold the company a piece of paper with a coffee ring on it which he named the "Brown Ring of Excellence".

I also think they represent the continents, but I think Australia is in the center, with Eurasia in the upper right.

The separation of Europe and Asia into their own continents never made a lot of sense to me. I thought such a separation was more political than geological.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I also think they represent the continents, but I think Australia is in the center, with Eurasia in the upper right.

The separation of Europe and Asia into their own continents never made a lot of sense to me. I thought such a separation was more political than geological.

Yeah, I considered that too. I'll betcha somebody in Asia gets all het up about being incorporated into Europe, though.