Leung Ting Comparison

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
chainpunching is all that's needed.
Thats a very dangerous opinion.
Having a universal knowledge of tools is very useful. Sure, you can sharpen the tools that you prefer, but if you go into a confrontation with only one kind of tactic you will get owned

I would rate this as risky as saying a 'wing chunner will never get taken to the floor'

Let the flame wars begin.........

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm, didn't say that....reread the post, I said pretty much the same thing you said in your post that was after mine. If chainpunching takes care of the situation then there is no need for chi sao

MaikuB

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know of many active WC forums and there's a lot of bickering going on there. Besides, the profile of Bully over there also says they're in Jersey :p

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stalker!!!!!!

Lol, it actually says the real Jersey doesnt it??

They do bicker alot over there, it wore me down so I dont really bother with it now.

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All points well taken. The only issue I now have with this straight forward blitz as one said, why the chi sau and other techniques, why punch for punch (the object is to hit and get hit as less as possible if at all). Lastly, if I know this is ur main staple of attack ur in trouble.

I know this thread is kinda old, but anyway...

The point with the blitz-chainpunches is simply to provide the student with a counterattack he (or she) can use relatively soon after starting studying wing chun...

The fact of the matter is that you'll never use chi-sau as you train it... No one will come up to you with his arms in tan/fuk position before he'll attempt to kick your *ss...

As I see it, if you find youself in a sitation where you'll have to defend yourself against some brawler, fire at will with chainpunches and if his arms gets in the way, all those countless hours of chi-sau training will pay of as you in a splitsecond deflect his attack and keep on thrusting with your chainpunches...

And by the way, in the LT system, they do work on angles and sidestepping...

PS. No harm whatsoever, intended with the above post... :angel:

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When it comes to chain punches, I just fight fire with fire.
as they step in with their chain punches, I step in with my own chain attack.
my attack however is not a chain punch but chain palms. The palms come down the centre line but from above, dropping down with very heavy relaxed power, as fast or ideally faster than the opponents chain punch. if your structure is good and you stay committed ( no flinching or second guessing) it's very easy to walk straight through the chain punch, crossing his arms (trapping) along the way and ending with a nice palm strike to the chest or face.
It really doesn't take much practice to get the timing right and make it work pretty much every time.
On the negative side it makes you look like your fighting like a 7 year old girl
icon7.gif
but seriously, this works and it's so simple.
It's also the last thing the opponent is expecting as most people would just try getting out of the way or retreating from chain punches if they are inexperienced or deflecting and repositioning if they are more skilled.

It might not sound like a good technique in words but give it a try with your training partners and I think you'll be surprised how effective it can be.
Think fast,relaxed and very heavy.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my attack however is not a chain punch but chain palms. The palms come down the centre line but from above, dropping down with very heavy relaxed power, as fast or ideally faster than the opponents chain punch. if your structure is good and you stay committed ( no flinching or second guessing) it's very easy to walk straight through the chain punch, crossing his arms (trapping) along the way and ending with a nice palm strike to the chest or face.
It really doesn't take much practice to get the timing right and make it work pretty much every time.
On the negative side it makes you look like your fighting like a 7 year old girl
icon7.gif
It's also the last thing the opponent is expecting as most people would just try getting out of the way or retreating from chain punches if they are inexperienced or deflecting and repositioning if they are more skilled.

It might not sound like a good technique in words but give it a try with your training partners and I think you'll be surprised how effective it can be.

Theres a clip of youtube of a similar strategy against a karate guy
I think if you type in 'wing chun vs karate' it will come up

I dont really advocate using chain punches in real confrontations (maybe as a finishing move)

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont really advocate using chain punches in real confrontations (maybe as a finishing move)

I don't use them much either. definitely not in the straight on, stepping in, straight blast. If I do use chain punches, I'll only do maybe 3 quick punches once I'm bridged from a sinking pao choi,just to give them something to think about and unbalance them while I switch to something else.
Not to say there's anything wrong with the straight blast, it's just not my cup of tea. I prefer to control my opponent by pushing and pulling them around,etc, keeping them off balance while striking.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
icon7.gif

I do the chain palm strikes against chain punch as well sometimes , and it works exactly as you describe , the palm strikes just slide straight over the top and redirect his punches down.

And your right you do look like a bit of a little girl when you do it lol , or probably close to how I imagine Justin Bieber would fight.

Although these days I prefer to stick one arm out in front and use Tan/Bong it looks a little bit more elegant and I can just move forward with a minimum of exertion , jamming his punches up before they can gain momentum and then when he's all crammed up you can start trapping.

For people who aren't familar with the technique , you just bring your Wu Sau up to guard your face and your front hand deflects the chain punches.

For example if we have our right hand in front and he starts the chain punching with his left hand , we intercept inside his wrist and redirect his punch slightly up by raising our arm slightly and rotating into a Bong Sau.

When his next punch comes in from his right hand , we intercept on the outside of his wrist and rotate into a Tan Sau and slightly sink our elbow to redirect his punch down , then back into Bong Sau again to catch the next one , and so on and so on.
Then use your stance to start moving forward and jamming up his structure.

Chain punching is formidable , but a lot of people seem to start doing it when they are way out of range.
Besides being a waste of time and stupid , you aren't close enough to be using the built in trapping effect of your forearms as they retract in their elliptical path over the top of his arms.

A lot of people also seem to keep battering away even when the opponents arms are obstructing , if an arms in the way latch it and rip it down and punch with the other hand , and then keep alternating if necessary.

When I say latching I mean forming a Fook Sau and hooking your hand over the top of their obstructing forearm and sinking your arm at the elbow and pulling their arm down .

Depending how tense they are it can not only drag their arm down so your other hand can hit through , it can also drag their body down and cause whiplash to the neck
Chain punching is good , but chain punching with latching is better.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Chain punching is formidable , but a lot of people seem to start doing it when they are way out of range.
Besides being a waste of time and stupid , you aren't close enough to be using the built in trapping effect of your forearms as they retract in their elliptical path over the top of his arms.

A lot of people also seem to keep battering away even when the opponents arms are obstructing , if an arms in the way latch it and rip it down and punch with the other hand , and then keep alternating if necessary.

When I say latching I mean forming a Fook Sau and hooking your hand over the top of their obstructing forearm and sinking your arm at the elbow and pulling their arm down .

Depending how tense they are it can not only drag their arm down so your other hand can hit through , it can also drag their body down and cause whiplash to the neck
Chain punching is good , but chain punching with latching is better.

.....No additional comment. I just thought this was worth saying twice. Oh and back to the OP, this should apply to WT/VT/WC equally. You know that I originally came from LT's "WT" system and this conforms to what LT taught me.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Downwards chain palm striking to counter upward chain punches? I have a hard time imagining the person coming down to have an advantage, I'd think that would create some massive uprooting, I'll have to give it a shot though.
Not to mention if they use invasive, yet forward footwork you could fall over by striking in a downward motion, I'd say where you catch the arm would factor in to some extent too.. I'm curious if you guys could possibly break this down a little more for me. Either way thanks for giving me something to ponder.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Downwards chain palm striking to counter upward chain punches? I have a hard time imagining the person coming down to have an advantage, I'd think that would create some massive uprooting, I'll have to give it a shot though.
Not to mention if they use invasive, yet forward footwork you could fall over by striking in a downward motion, I'd say where you catch the arm would factor in to some extent too.. I'm curious if you guys could possibly break this down a little more for me. Either way thanks for giving me something to ponder.

Nab , you are not striking downwards , well depending how tall you are I suppose .
If he is chain punching at your face , you are just sliding your palm strikes over the top of his forearms.

The downward pressure on his arms comes from the natural and relaxed drop that your chain strike takes when it reaches the end of its journey.

It takes a slightly elliptical path in the retraction phase as your strike must drop an inch or so as it starts on its return path.
This is so that it can accomodate the next strike in the chain and make room for it.
Other wise we would constantly be hitting our own hands or forced to strike all over the place instead of hitting the one spot.

I can't be quite sure as I haven't done it in a while , but there is probably also some redirection happening at the front end as well with the palm striking acting a little bit like a Fook Sau.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Although these days I prefer to stick one arm out in front and use Tan/Bong it looks a little bit more elegant and I can just move forward with a minimum of exertion , jamming his punches up before they can gain momentum and then when he's all crammed up you can start trapping.

For people who aren't familar with the technique , you just bring your Wu Sau up to guard your face and your front hand deflects the chain punches.

For example if we have our right hand in front and he starts the chain punching with his left hand , we intercept inside his wrist and redirect his punch slightly up by raising our arm slightly and rotating into a Bong Sau.

When his next punch comes in from his right hand , we intercept on the outside of his wrist and rotate into a Tan Sau and slightly sink our elbow to redirect his punch down , then back into Bong Sau again to catch the next one , and so on and so on.
Then use your stance to start moving forward and jamming up his structure.

this also works with kam sao/ biu sao in place of bong/tan. Think of the "wagging fingers" of yip man biu gee form going from left to right. it's one of the first movements in our SLT after the salutation, check out the video I posted of myself on the lineage thread performing (badly) our SLT and you'll see what I mean.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
this also works with kam sao/ biu sao in place of bong/tan. Think of the "wagging fingers" of yip man biu gee form going from left to right. it's one of the first movements in our SLT after the salutation, check out the video I posted of myself on the lineage thread performing (badly) our SLT and you'll see what I mean.

I forgot about that one , I haven't practiced that for a while.
But I tend to always go back to my old standby the Bong /Tan when under pressure it works pretty well for me.

Although it can get a bit hairy when the fast ones start coming in , you just have to keep going forward and crush his structure so that he can't generate any power and gain momentum.

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I forgot about that one , I haven't practiced that for a while.
But I tend to always go back to my old standby the Bong /Tan when under pressure it works pretty well for me.

Although it can get a bit hairy when the fast ones start coming in , you just have to keep going forward and crush his structure so that he can't generate any power and gain momentum.

definitely. relentless forward pressure is the key. Besides, if all else fails we can just start doing Beiber sao lol.
icon7.gif

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
definitely. relentless forward pressure is the key. Besides, if all else fails we can just start doing Beiber sao lol.
icon7.gif

Ha ha , Beiber sao lol , God I can't stand that little wanker.

His hair looks like a helmet , what are they going to do when his balls finally drop and he can't sing like that any more.

He was out here a few months ago and he appeared on one of the morning shows and apparently he was acting quite the little diva.

Latest Discussions