Leung Ting/Leung Sheung Feud?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that part of the reason Leung Ting formed his own system of WC was because he and Leung Sheung ended up having a feud, but I can't seem to find any info on it.

Would anyone be able to enlighten me on this?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've heard that part of the reason Leung Ting formed his own system of WC was because he and Leung Sheung ended up having a feud, but I can't seem to find any info on it.

Would anyone be able to enlighten me on this?

Yes, there was a lot of animosity between the young Leung Ting and his first teacher, Leung Sheung, although that's not why Leung Ting chose the "WT" spelling for his teaching system. In fact I've heard some pretty shocking things over the years involving the relationships between Leung Sheung, Grandmaster Yip Man and Leung Ting. If true, then all of these individuals have a dark side. But the truth is hard to know. One thing I can say is that when I first trained with LT in the early 80's he would not speak the name of Leung Sheung or allow us to do so either.

Interestingly, according to one story, this well known feud actually benefitted the young Leung Ting. At that time, Grandmaster Yip also had a very serious conflict with Leung Sheung. The story is that, knowing how much Leung Sheung disliked young Ting, Grandmaster Yip walked into Leung Sheung's class and announced that he was accepting Ting as a student, gravely humiliating Leung Sheung. In fact, as Leung Ting related the story, is was Grandmaster Yip's anger with Leung Sheung, and not Leung Ting's own ability, that allowed him this opportunity to become Yip Man's last closed-door student.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that Geezer! That's really interesting, now I'm quite curious as to what the source of any animosity between Leung Sheung and Leung Ting and GM Yip.

I'm definitely not a 'chun historian but everything I've read suggests that Leung Sheung was basically the most likable guy in the world :p

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, likeable or not, everybody has issues. And "nice guys" tend to make poor martial artists.

...and for what it's worth, most people say I'm a nice guy.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, likeable or not, everybody has issues. And "nice guys" tend to make poor martial artists.

...and for what it's worth, most people say I'm a nice guy.

If it would make you feel better, I could call you a rotten SOB.

Latest Discussions