Let me at em'

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that this guy should be locked up for assault! This guy should not be teaching because he apparently has no control. I love to spar, and usually the contact level is preset before the match begins. I do not believe that sparring should be an excuse to pummel someone, such as what you describe above.

I have seen some instructors take some students into the ring to spar, after repeatedly telling them to lighten up on the contact. This session was not meant to beat them unconscious, but to humble them, so to speak. Again, no beatings took place, but the pace was picked up a notch.

Mike

I couldn't agree more, this guys should have criminal charges brought against him. There is no excuse for an instructor to behave like this.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, it was the first image I had. This guy definately deserves a bit of prison time, he might have a mental problem or something might have happened to make his do this, but it's not excuse.

As for not knowing how someone with them inclinations can get that high in a MA, I've seen it before, there's a lot of doormen in my home city with Dan ranks and they sometimes take things too far. One reason I don't go into the city at night.

It's not that crazy that he got to a teaching rank. People like him can act normal almost all of the time in certain environments (like a dojo), but beat the crap out of his wife and kids. Apparently, the mental compartment of the dojo broke down and something set him off. He needs jail time w/ manditory phyc evaluations on a regular basis.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have spared my Xingyi sifu and got a couple of good shots in but ultimately lost and he never got angry when I hit him. Actually he thought it was very good and as much as I am pretty sure if he let loose on me I am going to get hurt, he never did nor did I have any fear that he would.

My taiji sifu has thrown with enough power to toss me across the room before, but he has always caught me and stopped me in mid flight. And in 12 years I have only seen him angry once and that was at me and outside of class.

I have worked with students in push hands and shown them applications but never ever intentionally hurt any of them much the same as any sifu, Sensei, teacher I have had in over 30 years. None have ever intentionally hurt anyone. And absolutely NONE have ever lost control and committed such an appalling act against a student.

I have left my Sanda sifu for last here for a reason. He will not teach anyone he does not know and trust (I knew him for a while before he told me about Sanda) and he will not teach anyone he does not feel is of good character and IF during training he feels you will use Sanda in a manor to intentionally hurt anyone or if he feels you cannot control yourself he will not teach you, lessons over, good bye, go home and don’t come back.

I would think that somewhere during the training of this guy someone has to notice he was a bully and had little control and kicked his butt out. But I suppose if you have a large class it is not always possible to see all that goes on. And as JBrainard said maybe he just snapped, who knows. But I would still think his teacher would be more than a little upset that is if his teacher knew about it. And what is to say the guy is a legitimate anything. Take a few classes here a few more there get good a fighting and open a school.

It absolutely sickens me to read about alleged martial arts teachers attacking a student. And it also angers me to a point where I fully appreciate the statement "2 wrongs don’t make a right" but frankly I don’t care I just want to meet this guy and show him what he did by example.

But as Drac said these guys will not go after someone they think can actually defend themselves, they pick on those they feel can’t. Again as Drac said, “Just a bully with a black belt”

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But as Drac said these guys will not go after someone they think can actually defend themselves, they pick on those they feel can’t. Again as Drac said, “Just a bully with a black belt”

When these absuers of their rank finally get their due its a beautiful thing and it does happen..

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No matter how good your control and focus, accidents happen. From the way the article presented it, this was no accident - the person (I refuse to use the word "instructor" to describe him) knocked a student out (bad, but it can happen if everything is against you) and then continued to hit him - this is inexcusable. He then beat up (not sparred) another student. This is assault, as far as I'm concerned. He should not be allowed to teach; I have serious concerns about his continuing to train - although a good instructor might be an influence he needs - and he would probably train alone if no one would teach him, and that would, I think, be worse. Without more details, I can't say what else he needs - although criminal charges of assault sound reasonable, as does anger management training.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This goes beyond any kind of "old style" training I've ever heard of. Even if this unconscious recipient of *** whooping had engaged in deplorable acts and managed to escape justice, this would not be the manner to execute such on his person.

I hope this black belt bully does time for this.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can think of about half a dozen serious criminal charges here from simple assault, reckless endangerment, aggravated assault, and even attempted murder - i.e. using deadly force on a person who was helpless and already injured. My first impulse would be to cripple the S.O.B. Just start breaking bones starting large and going to the small ones in ways the doctors couldn't put back together. But that's emotion, not reason talking.

Seriously, he should be in jail. And whatever assets he and his school and the organization that gave a dangerous lunatic like him a teaching credential should all end up in the victims' hands in the ensuing lawsuit.

This is so far beyond the mother****ing pale that words can not begin to describe it.

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have any more information on what happened to this stupid ****? I would hope that the authorities not only threw the book at him, but the desk that it was sitting on, as well.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not excusing the actions of the guy; he should be prosecuted without a doubt for aggravated assault or similar statutes based on what's presented here.

But people are wondering how he got to be an instructor with such a temper problem... It is possible that his actions in the school were a response to stress outside the school. Also, sometimes, you don't know what a person will do once they have authority until they have it. Police departments try to weed out the people who are likely to become power-mad -- but they can't always tell until the person has a badge and is on their own. Employers don't try to promote supervisors who are going to be so heavy-fisted that they crush an office/department... but sometimes getting the power changes people.

Like I said -- I'm not excusing this jerk's actions. But I'm not going to condemn the guy who promoted him, either, without more evidence. (I've had times when I realized I was on too short a fuse, and either cancelled class or greatly changed the activities so that I wouldn't be in a position where I might lose my temper with a student.)

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, thats downright appalling behaviour. Goes to show that sometimes you really don't know the people you put your trust into.

I remember my Sifu was telling us about how in the martial arts world, you really have to be careful for "sadistic bastards". I mean, these people can put up a real act in front of you, pretending to be nice and kind, but when it comes to sparring, they just become vicious and want nothing better than to hurt you. The one specific incident he was relating was a BJJ practitioner locking one of his friends into a position that could break his arm, and despite the person tapping the floor to let go, the BJJ person just wouldn't stop. In the end, he had no choice but to attempt to gorge his eyes out, and in which case the BJJ person quickly released his grip.

Kinda frightening to think these kind of risks exist.

mijemi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember my Sifu was telling us about how in the martial arts world, you really have to be careful for "sadistic bastards".
There are some psychos out there who really train in a martial art only so that they can become more effective at hurting other people or at least having power over them. I haven't come across anyone in my club like that but at school there was a guy who trained in Muay Thai who you had to watch out for. These people do often put on a lot of show and are sometimes even "charming" - until you annoy them.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like I said -- I'm not excusing this jerk's actions. But I'm not going to condemn the guy who promoted him, either, without more evidence. (I've had times when I realized I was on too short a fuse, and either cancelled class or greatly changed the activities so that I wouldn't be in a position where I might lose my temper with a student.)

He's their dog. That means he's their responsibility. If he was an instructor they had plenty of time to watch him in positions of increasing responsibility over the years. If they didn't have any idea or chose not to act on it they screwed the pooch.

Latest Discussions