Weight Lifting and The Martial Arts

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a spinoff to my cardio thread, I had a request for one on weight lifting, so here it is. :) This thread will be dedicated to the importance of weight lifting in the arts. Similar questions apply.

-How many times a week do you lift weights?

-How long do you do your weight routine for?

-What types of exercises do you do?

-In your opinion, how important do you feel lifting weights is?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Admittedly, once a week but I need/want to do more

About 20 minutes

All freeweights...squats, curls, etc.

Very important and I think it's extremely important for women. Most women that lift as part of a fitness routine don't get bulky or freaky or end up looking "like a guy". It builds up bone density and leaves us at less risk for osteoporosis, burns more fat...plus its energizing as heck. :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I had time it was 3 days a week no more than one hr in duration followed by cardio..One arm days I did nothing but arms and cardio..Purchased a book by Robert Kennedy author of MuscleMag International magazine..It had a lot of great routines..

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a spinoff to my cardio thread, I had a request for one on weight lifting, so here it is. :) This thread will be dedicated to the importance of weight lifting in the arts. Similar questions apply.

Thank you

I generally hin the gym 4-5 times a week. 4 week days and once on saturday

about an 75-90mins during the week and on saturday at least 2hrs maybe longer

my schedule:
Monday: Tri's and chest
Tuesday: Bi's and back
Thursday: legs
Fridays: Cardio
Saturday: start over

I switch this around to get rid of bordem. I also switch between plates, dumbells and machines to isolate different groups and muscle confusion is very effective.

I love weight training. I count it as the single biggest factor in the loss of my weight. There are so many variations to lifting that it is always fun. Low impact and high reps for toning High impact low reps for building muscle. Lifting has also improved my performance in my training.

B

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I shoot for 3. I like to space it out, such as Mon, Wed, Fri, although I've done some weeks Mon, Thu, Fri. Doesn't really matter to me, as long as I get 3 in.

When I was going to the gym, it was alot longer. I was mostly using free weights, so the rest time increased a bit. As always, the gym is a social place, so talking took up some time. :) I now workout at home, with a universal machine. I'm usually done within 20min, and my rest time varies.

Chest/Triceps

Back/Bicpes

Shoulders/Legs.

Ab work is done with every workout.

Due to the fact I'm using a machine, I'm limited to the variety I can do.

Right up there with cardio. I'm not looking to have a Mr. Universe body. If that was the case, I would most likely drastically need to change my diet as well as join a gym, for a wider range of equipment. Like the cardio, lifting makes you stronger, helps keep you in shape and overall improves your body.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did abs at everyworkout...

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Twice a week, Tuesday and Friday

About an hour, longer if the muscle bound idiots won't get off the smith press so I can do my squats :S

I do a full range of excercises split between the two days, squats, leg press, forward lunges, pull ups, pull downs, tricep pull ups, Stability ball chest press, stability ball shoulder press, hip abductor & hip flexion (both on a standing hip machine), planks on the stability ball, crunches on the SB, side crunches on the SB, and probably a few I've forgotton. I do 8 excercises a day.

It's very important to me, in order to increase my power I need strength and tone, it's definately helped me get the strength to hold them kicks and hold my leg up in the air before and after a kick. Also I've put weight on in the last year which is increasing my power. The core work helps enourmously.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

Never lift weights. Read an interview with Dick Butkus in Playboy when I was a teenager and he was starring in the NFL (and yes, I only read the articles :D). Interviewer asked if he lifted weights much, and Butkus just looked at the floor, meaning NO. Butkus was one of the original natural body weight strength builders.

I do practice some of Mat Furrey's stuff, and the like. And I do practice my art against big, strong partners on a regular basis. And the comment I get a lot: 'You're so strong.' (said in shock :lfao: ). It's from moving bodies (including my own) against gravity.

Anyway, my mind's made up, so don't confuse me with the facts. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Never lift weights. Read an interview with Dick Butkus in Playboy when I was a teenager and he was starring in the NFL (and yes, I only read the articles :D). Interviewer asked if he lifted weights much, and Butkus just looked at the floor, meaning NO. Butkus was one of the original natural body weight strength builders.

I do practice some of Mat Furrey's stuff, and the like. And I do practice my art against big, strong partners on a regular basis. And the comment I get a lot: 'You're so strong.' (said in shock :lfao: ). It's from moving bodies (including my own) against gravity.

Anyway, my mind's made up, so don't confuse me with the facts. :)

I'll take my rest time from lifting. During that time, even though I'm 'resting' I still like to do a little something, so I'll do pushups, crunches, and squats...just with the body weight, as you mention. I mix things up, ie: pushups with hands close, far apart, triangle, crunches with feet on the ground, up, etc. I dont do it every day, maybe two times, but I find that I'm able to get back into the lifting routine easier. :)

Mike

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't lifted weights in years. My body is the better for it. I'm just as strong, if not stronger, I have better range of motion and better flexibility and my shoulders and back don't scream at me near as much as they used to (yes, I do use proper lifting techniques).

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I lift 3 times a week. Mostly using free weights.

I'm currently doing Bill Starr's 5x5 routine. Takes me about 40 minutes to do (I start with about 10-15 min utes cardio, lift, abs). I work compound body movements....squats, bench, rows, dead lift, military press and pull-ups.

I started lifting again a little before my knee injury. I was trying to increase my speed and strength. After my injury, lifting has become a key componenet of my recovery. I think it is important for MAists to work some sort of resistance training (free weights, body weight, machines...whatever) as a key componenet of outside the dojo/dojang/kwoon training.

Peace,
Erik

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

4 days a week. Im currently in an upper/lower body split routine.

About an hour a session.

The core of each workout is a superset of low rep, heavy weight compound movements. ex. 3-4 rep deadlift followed by 3-5 rep weighted sternum pullups. Followed by a superset of higher rep compound movements with more of a stamina target than power, followed by a superset of targeted isolation movements. The concept of the workout is strength+functionality+ego (appearance).

Very. Stop making rationalizations and excuses not to do it and hit the gym.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Because of physical issues I have, I don't lift weights, per say. I do weigh bearing exercises, however. I do several different types of push-ups & tricep dips. I also do several types of sit-up type exercises.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I lift once every three weeks or so, using massively heavy weights in my strongest range. I've been doing this program consistently for around eight years. There are two complementary excerise sets I use, so each is performed once every six weeks.

Group 1: Pecs, biceps, quads:

total 200+ short-range (2-3 inc) reps on weighted dips: 120lb dumbell + my own body weight (mid-high 170s) in dipping stand.

total 200+ short range bench presses (350lbs and up, depending on how consistent I've been able to be for the preceding month) in power rack.

total 40–50 short-range chins (palms inward) for biceps, 40–50 lbs attached; alternative: 50lb hanging chin in strongest position for 30 secs.

total 150 short-range leg presses, 800–1,000lbs.

Group 2: Lats, delts:

total 40–50 short-range chins (palms outward) for biceps, 40–50 lbs attached; alternative: 50lb hanging chin in strongest position for 30 secs.

total 150+ shortrange seated shoulder presses, 200lbs+, in power rack.

I'm always trying to increse my reps and weights in the same or less time. Each workout takes me around 45 minutes.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
5 times a week, between 1 hour and 11/2 hours, and yes I think it is important if you lift the right way and for the right purpose. My days of lifting alot of weight are over (Ok most of the time I get nostalgic sometimes) I lift now to aid my MA not hinder.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

2 - 3 times a week

30 - 45 minutes

it varies but I try to do a complete body workout each week if not in each lifting session.

very important

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35110 Here's another thread from over in the aikido area regarding weightlifting and the martial artist...aikido-ka specifically. To answer the question of this thread...
I lift 3 days a week.
1. Chest/triceps
2. Legs/shoulders
3. Back/biceps

Takes me 1 1/2 hrs to lift each time I'm in the gym. Wouldn't take as long to do the workout but Erica lifts with me (same exercises, same reps just a little less weight) so it would probably be just 45 min to an hour by myself..but I wouldn't enjoy it half as much. We do all the old stand by exercises like the bench press, hack squats etc. I think my absolute favorite is the 21 for biceps. As for how important it is to me I'd say extremely so. I have more energy, it strengthens my back and it's extra time with my wife.

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I weight train four days per week on a two-on, one off; two-on, two off split. I mix high intensity, low volume training on basic compound movements with higher volume training based on my body's recuperation. A normal workout for me is one hour and fifteen minutes to 1 1/2 hour long. I used to be a national level strength athlete, but nowdays my joints complain if I do the enormous weights. I still do 600 lbs squats for 6-10 reps once a month though, but I don't go any heavier.

I feel that a regular weight program is the best thing that an advanced martial artist can do to improve their performance. Technique will make the most of what you have. Physical conditioning will increase the potential of what you have to work with. Cardio and stretching are an important part of the equation too, but both of those elements have a point of diminshed returns that you can top out pretty easily. Weight training can give you quite a bit more room to grow and improve. For those who don't want to take the time or energy, or those who want to make excuses, go for it. It keeps me and my students that much further ahead of you

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I put in about an hour with the weights five days a week- using mostly free weights.

I think weight/resistance training is crucial not only for martial arts, but for maintaining a good level of overall fitness and health.