Leg Workouts

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guys i was wondering what different kind of exercises you had in mind for leg muscles that would benefit kicking and all around good leg strenght. I have weights that can be used for my legs if i need to but i dont know if that will hurt my flexibility.. your thoughts are appreciated

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as you stretch you won't lose any flexibility. Even if you didn't I still don't think you would lose much. Are you looking for an actual leg weight lifting routine or just bag work?

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I teach, I tell ppl point blank I dont like using weights during training and dont fele the need for them in
MOST cases. I think the answer to your question is rather simple. You want to get better at kicking????? Then kick more and owrk on proper execution of technique. Not speed and power. Learn to do it correctly and speed and power will come.
I have a friend of mine whom Ive known for over 35 years, he was one my second instructor. who ever would have thought we would now be such close friends. But anyway, John began in TKD, I went to his class one day and he was helping his studnets stregthen their legs. Seems he was having 1000 kick night. Nobody but John made it that night but over time I got to the point where I could. now at 45, I cant kick 1000 times but if i connect once thats it.
I have to this day really good leg strength and what some ppl would say very powerful kicks, I say decent.
So how do you get better at kicking????? Simple KICK

OP
H

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
As long as you stretch you won't lose any flexibility. Even if you didn't I still don't think you would lose much. Are you looking for an actual leg weight lifting routine or just bag work?
Actually i do both, and i stretch for a half hour after every work out anyway so i guess i wont lose flexibility, but are there any other ways to work out my legs besides weights, squats , and wallsits?

OP
H

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
VSanhodo said:
When I teach, I tell ppl point blank I dont like using weights during training and dont fele the need for them in
MOST cases. I think the answer to your question is rather simple. You want to get better at kicking????? Then kick more and owrk on proper execution of technique. Not speed and power. Learn to do it correctly and speed and power will come.
I have a friend of mine whom Ive known for over 35 years, he was one my second instructor. who ever would have thought we would now be such close friends. But anyway, John began in TKD, I went to his class one day and he was helping his studnets stregthen their legs. Seems he was having 1000 kick night. Nobody but John made it that night but over time I got to the point where I could. now at 45, I cant kick 1000 times but if i connect once thats it.
I have to this day really good leg strength and what some ppl would say very powerful kicks, I say decent.
So how do you get better at kicking????? Simple KICK
In the air?, or on a bag?

OP
H

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Are you training by yourself or with a buddy at home?
Alone at home, but i have a heavy bag...

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Try lunges, without weight or with some dumbbells. Bodyweight squats or again with dumbbells. Toes raises, bicycling or bike machines are great for leg strength. Stretch before and after strengthening routines to maintain flexibility.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weight training can only help. (Provided it's done right.)

On the other hand, avoid stuff like ankle weights.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Leg extentions.leg curls,lunges and squats.I stretch right after each set..

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Squats, leg extensions, leg curls, hip sled, hack squats, seated toe raise. I do these twice a week and I perform isometric stretching 4 days per week. An increase in strength will help with flexibility, they go hand in hand. You also need to train your kicking for explosion, 5 rep sets seem to work best IMHO. Doing plyos, cleans, and snatch will also help with explosion in your kicking. You might also want to check into yoga and pilates. They build both strength and flexibility.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Corporal Hicks said:
Squats! Loads of lovely squats! Btw, are Hindu Squats recommended?
Absolutely!!!! I don't recommend them for someone starting out but after a few months they would be a great leg builder. Excellent idea Hicks.
icon14.gif

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are they really? I only thing with them, is that I tried them and thought they were great and then the next day suffered serious back pain (lower lumber region) that effected me for a week. Now I'm weary because I'm not sure if Hindu Squats caused it, and damn it hurt!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hicks, most, not all, back pain is caused by weak or tight hamstrings. You might have been doing them with a muscular deficiancy or with incorrect technique. you really need a trainer or fitness professional to assess your technique. That is why I don't reccommend them for beginners, they will most likely hurt themselves. If you go back and try them again, go slow and do just a few reps. If it starts bothering you get some medical attention.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We do real slow squats, starting with 10 seconds down, then 10 seconds up. After awhile, we work up to 20 seconds down-20 seconds up, with the key being to try our best at keeping the spine straight, not sticking the *** out, arms out and breathing as smooth and naturally as possible.

Franco

Latest Discussions