learning some stuff

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want to aks you some things about MA and want your input. For many years I've been practicing TKD wich is mainly a long range martial art focused on kicks, now for almost a year I've been practicing Kenpo karate (EPAK) wich is a fast hands close street oriented martial art and I thing both MA complement each other very well, however I would like to learn some techs from a close range martial art like judo or jujutsu.

I know that studiying more than 2 MA arts at once it's very dificult and can lead to confusion but think I can learn some moves or techs like some trows and some inmovilizations or submitions, nothing fancy just easy to lear and to aply techs (mayme not more than 10 or 12).

So what do you think?

I am not interested in learning judo or jujutsu, it takes time and dedication but some simple techs from them.

Manny

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Depending on your lineage, the immobilizations and takedowns in kenpo should be taught as the nature of the attack. Most of the various grab defenses are taught almost as a defense against the very holds you want to learn. To really learn the defense you must learn the offense, that said, many kenpo instructors don't do this, or don't really know the "nature of the attack" material as well as they could/should. You also may have many of the common finishes that you are looking for (like takedowns, strikedowns, and throws) contained in the extensions of the base material.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I know some trows, arm bars and locks, elbow locks and some proyections from TKD and yes Kenpo some times show us how to inmobilice a guy on the floor, however I am talking about when the fight ends with both fighters on the floor, I want to learn how do some submisions and how counterfight some submisions.

Manny

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Take a year of BJJ or some other submission wrestling or with a Judo instructor who teaches alot of newaza. You can't "just learn 10 submissions" otherwise you will do them exactly like what you are in that art, a white belt. You won't be able to successfully put on a submission on a person with any level of skill without good ability read their body movement and done enough reps to install it into motor memory. You won't get that without rolling.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I know some trows, arm bars and locks, elbow locks and some proyections from TKD and yes Kenpo some times show us how to inmobilice a guy on the floor, however I am talking about when the fight ends with both fighters on the floor, I want to learn how do some submisions and how counterfight some submisions.

Manny
Ask your teacher to have you do more groundwork. You are in the right place.
Sean

Latest Discussions