Learning Chinese chain whip?

Old Iowa Man

Reaction score
OK, SORRY - Another question from your poor health guy with NO Sifu in Iowa - Just a yes or no answer is just fine - Can I learn the basics of the Chinese chain whip from DVD or YouTube? I'd start with a soft braided rope with a wood handle and a tennis ball with some weight added to the ball and wear goggles, etc. NO I can't drive and have NO ONE I can learn from - Again this would be for exercise and it would give me hope for my way to recovery from my several illnesses - NOT looking for sympathy! Just help or suggestions or YES or NO. Thanks Much - OIM

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, SORRY - Another question from your poor health guy with NO Sifu in Iowa - Just a yes or no answer is just fine - Can I learn the basics of the Chinese chain whip from DVD or YouTube? I'd start with a soft braided rope with a wood handle and a tennis ball with some weight added to the ball and wear goggles, etc. NO I can't drive and have NO ONE I can learn from - Again this would be for exercise and it would give me hope for my way to recovery from my several illnesses - NOT looking for sympathy! Just help or suggestions or YES or NO. Thanks Much - OIM

you can play with the item, get comfortable with it, have fun spinning it, but that doesn't mean you are learning the fundamentals. chain whip is a challenging weapon, and can be dangerous to practice because of the flexibility. you can hit yourself with it. rope and tennis ball is a good idea for safety, but not realistic because of weight differences.

but to answer the question: no, you won't learn it this way, not for real.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

No, not only no but hell no.

The chain whip is a great way to maim yourself if you don't have a teacher, and sometimes even if you do. I do not think maiming oneself is a great way to recover from anything

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried meteor hammer without formal instruction once.... yeah I don't do that anymore.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did anyone see the movie IRON AND SILK where the guy HAD a Sifu to teach him the chain whip, and he still wrapped it around his head and whacked himself in the face?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good decision - OK, guys - I get the idea - SORRRRRRY for the question - If I could delete it I would but I don't know how! OIM

no need to delete, it's a legitimate question. You seem willing to take good advice. Not everyone is so willing. smart fellow, save yourself some grief.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael - Thanks for the kindness and understanding - I'll still try to think twice before I post again:wink2: OIM

Your posts are welcome. Don't be afraid to ask. :asian:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, no worries. You have an open mind and took the group's advice, so we think you're cool.

But now I'm wondering ... what's a chain whip? Gotta look that up. Hmm ... ah, some photos. Holy crap! Yeah, I'd poke my eye out with that thing! At least! :D

OP
Old Iowa Man

Old Iowa Man

Reaction score
Thanks for ALL the good advice and kindness - Since I've given up on the chain whip I've decided to go with a 6' by 1" log chain with a monkey wrench on the end - Gotta be safer :uhyeah: OIM

Latest Discussions