Learning all of the basics first, or basics with each belt level?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hongkongfooey said:
What is the perfered method of teaching basics?

HKF

Id say with each belt level. Many of the basics are going to fit in with what is required for that level, so if the student is a beginner, it would almost be counter productive to learn something that is not going to apply.

Mike

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any given technique can be practiced for a lifetime without ever achieving perfection. I believe a foundation of core techniques and, especially, concepts needs to be learned first.

From there new techniques may be added as approriate for the student. In general the belt level would determine which techniques are taught but individual ability needs to be taken into account as well.

My training is designed to form a complete picture but is like a jigsaw puzzle. I can create the picture that is right for me by methodically assembling the pieces. If you throw all of the pieces at me at once, it ends up as a jumble on the floor.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Each belt level because as you advance, the details in the basics will become more specific. An example would be the basic horse stance. I expect a yellow belt to know what it should look like and make an decent attempt to achieve it but I'm willing to forgive a little "duck feet" or not having the knees directly over the feet. The basics never go away, the details just become more refined.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Over 3-5 years of drill and application in heavy to full contact, resistant exercise.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a pre-belt before the Yellow Belt which is nothing but Basics, including stancees, blocks, kicks, punches, foot maneuvres, bidy maneuvres, roll & falls.

I have found that this makes communicating with the student much easier. There are more basics later on at some belt levels but this gives a good start.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I have a pre-belt before the Yellow Belt

Do you mean White Belt? I mean, are you talking about something different than the norm or are you referring to the white belt level where beginners are taught basic stances and so forth so that they may build upon your instructions?

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have an advanced white belt, which is between white belt and yellow belt. The advanced white belt material consists of basics.

Latest Discussions